• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Carry: Advice to the Uninitiated

I wrote this not intending for it to be an article, but too much caffeine and Pandora allowed for a free flowing kind of writing process. Below is my advice, from my personal perspective about concealed carry, the mindset, the philosphy, the gear, the guns and what I've done in the past year I've carried concealed (with permit of course).

Mindset and Philosophy

Ill only speak from my own experience and mindset. I decided that I would take on what is an enormous personal responsibility and seek my LTC-A, unrestricted for a lot of reasons. I'd had guns since my 20s, different incarnations of assault rifles, polymer guns, race guns, stupid guns, fun guns, relics and things I thought were toooo cooool because I saw some badass on television being a badass. What can I say? I was in my early 20s and firearms were mainly a hobby. Sure, I kept a loaded handgun (yes, locked, Martha, I know) for that 'just in case' situation, but it was more an afterthought than anything: I hadn't intended to carry concealed and if I wanted to, I lived in a city where that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Growing a bit older, having more refined tastes and more refined responsibilities, my mindset changed. I survived a terrible divorce and after a few years of mindless self indulgence, I fell madly in love with someone and married her.

Wait, Angel, why the life story? Guns? Divorce? Love? Huh?

Be patient, it builds up to this point - I have a responsibility to this woman. I have a responsibility to protect her, my 4 legged children and in time, my own child. Again, its all mindset here - circumstances changed, my priorities changed and as a result, the modes and usage of my firearms thusly changed.

A lot of people talk about protecting loved ones as I just did...but to protect them, to care for them, one must take care of oneself as well. When I was a medic, it was all about making sure the scene was safe; ensuring one's own safety before helping a patient. The same goes for concealed carry - I carry to keep my scene safe - not because I want to be a hero or make my way into the annals of "Armed Citizen" or anything like that. I keep my scene safe for one reason and one reason alone - her. If I can't protect myself, I can't come home to her, to my family, to my life. Its all fine and well to talk about self defense in the contexts of home invasions or bank robberies or whatever situation may arise, but it boils down to what your own life, your own scene is worth - being able to remain a provider to my family is where my priority lies.

Practical Applications: Buy the Right Gear and CARRY

Beyond philosophy of carry, I should relate to you the actual practice of carry itself. I commented only recently about belts, so I'll start there. I don't care how good your self defense rig is....if you bought that 80 dollar Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for your 700 dollar Sig. Its useless, uncomfortable and downright dumb if you tether your rig to a 30 dollar Walmart belt. Spend the money - if you like leather, there's the Beltman, Crossbreed and others who provide awesome belts that are more than up to the task - because they were designed with guns in mind.

For me, my choice was a 5.11 Tactical belt that wears better than anything I've owned and for 50 bucks, accomodates my constantly expanding and more recently contracting stomach.

Holsters are also a consideration one must take seriously when packing. When I started out, I threw a Glock 17 into a nylon IWB that wasn't properly fitted for the firearm. Combine that with the 10 dollar web belt and guess who was having a miserable time? Learn from me - get the right tools for the job or don't bother - no matter how super light your gun is, you won't feel right until you DO invest in the right rig....or worse, you will settle for less gun than you'd want to carry or not carry at all.

And that my friends, is just a waste of a permit in a place where so few are issued.

The gun is the last consideration. I know - the gun magazines, Marketing departments of various manufacturers and tacti-twits like James Yeager will disagree. Choose your weapon but only after you've shot this weapon enough to feel comfortable with it. I know, logical, huh? When this familiarity washes over you, carry it! If that means a full sized weapon, carry that full sized weapon. If that means polymer, scandium, titanium, quartz klingon...

Ok you get my drift. Carry with what you're proficient with and the concealment part will fall into place. Ive experiemented with several firearms and thanks to venues like this, I can trade, buy, sell (yes, Martha, within the limits of the FA10) and shoot a lot of different guns. For me, I shoot optimally with 2 firearms - a 1911, which for now resides in a Desantis OWB thumb break holster and my Smith and Wesson Model 60 stainless .38 spl, which has an OWB Desantis as well as a Remora for when I decide to carry in a pocket. In the film The Enforcer, Detective Callahan explained why he carried a Model 629 - "because I hit what I'm aiming at." Enough said.

Yes, there are other options out there that are lighter, more 'tactical' and carry more rounds. For me, I subscribe to the Clint Smith school of thought - "a gun should be comforting, not comfortable." The hefty steel on my hip is reassuring to me-I know its there, it lets me know its there -- kind of like when I ride around in my truck with my 100 lb Mastiff/Pit mix.

Attire: "That's not a gun, I'm just very happy to see you."

I remember posting on a concealed carry forum about being concerned with respect to printing, getting charged or possibly shot because another, unarmed civlian "outed" me for exercising my right to carry. I recieved an email from another member of the forum, encouraging me to relax - "Its gonna feel like you're walking around in public with your cock outside your pants!" I like this analogy a lot, its apt and for the ladies....I suppose at first, its like walking around with your top off - you think EVERYONE knows, you think EVERYONE notices.

As it turns out, learning how to dress was not nearly the challenge I thought it would be. Im mostly a T-shrt and jeans kind of guy and due to a lot of expansion of the waistline (working on this), I can conceal IWB or OWB with relative ease. I mentioned the Remora holster as a means of pocket carry because certain situations where I think I'll be bending and moving a lot more makes me reconsider the OWBs I have. Typically though, I can tote my 1911, worn at 4:00 wearing jeans and a slayer T-shirt without issue.

Outfitted properly, dressing around the weapon and retention system, you are not going to print, you are not going to cause a panic, even with the bulge you consider tell-tale. You really have to be looking for a gun to see a gun, so relax, tuck it in and zip it up. Pay no mind to the magazines pushing tactical urban clothing. Beyond the golf shirts, I don't see the need to look like a "Tactical Operator" or like some goon from Blackwater. I like my own personal, joke of a 'style' and would rather not look like a guy carrying a gun. In fact,I'd prefer not to scream guy with a gun like so many folks at gun shows do. Nerds, headbangers in Slayer Tshirts, hipsters in skinny jeans, the guy with the Yankees jersey - we all fly waaaaay under the proverbial radar and hence don't dress in a way that justifies paranoia - yours or theirs.

Conclusion: Finally He Shuts Up

I hope this helps - there exists an exhausting selection of forums, magazines, Youtube videos and books that offer advice to the concealed carry permit holder. I offer this as my own unique perspecitve of a guy that's not really unique at all. I'm not an expert, I'm not a former military member or LEO and firearms and pistolcraft is not my full time obsessions. I am your average working stiff, writer, poet, dog trainer (working on that) and husband. You don't have to be an expert tacti-twit to carry and carry well - you just need the right mindset, gear, and committment to carry - once you master the weapon between your ears, you can accomplish anything.

Last edited:
Thanks!

At the moment, Im carrying a Rock Island Armory full size 1911 or Government Model. I run either Cor-Bon
PowRBall HPs or more recently Hornady's Critical Defense/Zombie Max (one in the same) round. As soon as I can, Im going to trade a Century Arms SAR for a stainless, higher end variant.

For the Model 60, I carry Critical Defense ammo with 2 speedloaders. It doesn't have a .357 option on this model and isn't recommended for +P ammunition. Suits me fine, though - even if its a slightly older model with an exposed hammer, this is one gun I'll likely never get rid of. The only change I made to it was to add a set of Hogue grips to it to soak up the felt recoil. Those old school wooden stocks are pretty, and help to conceal the gun better, but the Hogues for a concealed carry application, IMO is an absolute must. There is a nice one for sale in the NES classifieds if you're interested.

AS for training, I haven't had a formal course, but will be taking one that takes into account the laws and practical applications like shoot/dont shoot scenarios. What I have had is luck - friends with extensive military and police training backgrounds that have helped me immensely with advice and have shown me a lot.

That was a great little write up - well done. Even for someone experienced it was a nice read.

Sorry, this may come off as harsh, but...

Wow, overthinking...

It is always good to cover your basis, think through the possibilities and expect the unexpected, but if I am honest, this all sounds like you are still trying to overcome the progressive programming that you are doing something wrong when you are not.

Relax, carry, enjoy, practice, train, try new gear, have fun, be free.

I can say with confidence that people are oblivious to me carrying. I carry with a Don Hume Agent 721 O.T. (OWB). Some of my polo's don't cover the bottom very well (not to mention the bulge), and typically expose the holster when I am bending or reaching in a supermarket. I've never had anyone talk to me or look scared or call the cops. I used to be paranoid about exposing my sidearm to the world but now that I have carried for awhile I see that no one cares or notices.

Last edited:
agreed - my desantis holsters both expose the bbls when bending over - moreso for the 1911 - which when I went to Easter dinner I added another layer of covering garment with my sportcoat....worn over my Charlie Sheen t shirt.

Yeah, My life perspective changed, but I still dress like Im 17.

Yes, i agree, well thought and said. But you have dopes like me who, while don't carry deep concealed, use an OWB holster for comfort because of my, shall we say "bigness" and honestly don't care if I print. While I don't try to open carry i do the best I can with what I got. If the bottom of my holster peeks out from my shirt, so be it. Most people don't stare at peoples waists on a regular basis and if they do they probably wouldn't know what they were seeing. I'm not criticizing anyone but I've always thought this subject was over thought because people seem to be self conscious when they carry to the point of paranoia. I know I did when I started to carry regularly. But to the OP, I'm sure some noobs to CC will find this an interesting read.

Thanks Green -

My intention is to simply dispell some of the paranoia and encourage the noobs a bit...being that Im a noob myself. I may or may not get an IWB when I get my next 1911-- that remains to be seen....so far, I havent cared for them and prefer the OWB because I can get to the weapon.....

besides...I really have no fondness for Kydex. I know its the widely accepted method of carry....I just tend to feel...and this is a purely subjective opinion, that guns, good guns especially, deserve leather.

Thanks Green -

My intention is to simply dispell some of the paranoia and encourage the noobs a bit...being that Im a noob myself. I may or may not get an IWB when I get my next 1911-- that remains to be seen....so far, I havent cared for them and prefer the OWB because I can get to the weapon.....

besides...I really have no fondness for Kydex. I know its the widely accepted method of carry....I just tend to feel...and this is a purely subjective opinion, that guns, good guns especially, deserve leather.
Leather, IMUO, is only useful for keeping the back of the holster comfortable against your skin. For the gun, it just adds bulk over kydex. A gun is a gun, I would recommend against carrying a collector's piece both because they get beat up and because if you ever have to use it, there is a decent chance you may either loose it or expect it tobe poorly stored for some amount of time before you get it back.

Sorry, this may come off as harsh, but...

Wow, overthinking...

It is always good to cover your basis, think through the possibilities and expect the unexpected, but if I am honest, this all sounds like you are still trying to overcome the progressive programming that you are doing something wrong when you are not.

Relax, carry, enjoy, practice, train, try new gear, have fun, be free.

I'm with you and absolutely no offense to the OP (a most thoughtful post, Sir). I just tuck it in, in the morning and go about my way. I kinda look at my carry like I do my wallet. I don't think about my wallet and I don't think about my carry. Both are there if I need them. At night I put them on my night stand before I go to bed.

Rep inbound... Nice post!

Agreed on all points. My full size 1911 with 7 round mag is in my M-TAC IWB holster at 4 o'clock on a purpose-built gun belt I got at a show. Ammo is Hornady Critical Defense 185gr.

Philosophy for carrying is similar to the reasons I started training martial arts over 25 years ago... To protect myself and my family from harm to the extent required. Also, given the generally safe nature of modern life, it's a percentages game, so I carry any time possible.

Looking forward to reading more of your musings!

Yes, i agree, well thought and said. But you have dopes like me who, while don't carry deep concealed, use an OWB holster for comfort because of my, shall we say "bigness" and honestly don't care if I print. While I don't try to open carry i do the best I can with what I got. If the bottom of my holster peeks out from my shirt, so be it. Most people don't stare at peoples waists on a regular basis and if they do they probably wouldn't know what they were seeing. I'm not criticizing anyone but I've always thought this subject was over thought because people seem to be self conscious when they carry to the point of paranoia. I know I did when I started to carry regularly. But to the OP, I'm sure some noobs to CC will find this an interesting read.

Most people don't notice or I guess assume you are a cop or security if they see the gun or holster. True story...last week I see a guy in Boston dressed in cargo pants, sneakers, long tshirt. He's maybe 30 and has short hair. He looks like your average guy, but he is open carrying a Glock on his right hip. He is buying a soda at a convenience store I go to all the time and is in a student area. I noticed his Glock as soon as I saw him. He was in the store for about 10 min and about 50 people walked by him and not a single person noticed as far as I could tell. They all just walked by him totally oblivious. I followed him out because I was curious and he got into an unmarked cruiser parked nearby.

True story...last week I see a guy in Boston dressed in cargo pants, sneakers, long tshirt.

They all just walked by him totally oblivious.

That is so funny, it is amazing how many people have no clue as to what is going on around them.

I love to people watch...............

They have no clue what they are doing, I watch all these people walking around tapping on their phones and they just walk into a pole/mailbox/door.

AHHHHHHHH DAAAAAAAAAAAA People, Wake Up [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Good Story

I to felt the same way when I 1st started carrying.

You end up giving yourself away to the mass'es because your always tugging on your holster to make sure it's OK and by doing that your just showing everyone that you have a gun straped on your hip.

I also agree, buy a good belt and holster, it will be your best buy.

I carry OWB myself, I do not care for IWB carry, I will if I have to, but luckully I don't have to IWB carry very much.

Take a look at High Noon Holsters, they make great stuff.

www.highnoonholsters.com

Plus they have some great "close Out" prices right now also.

high noon holsters/Close_Outs

I use their Sky High Holster and their Rock Steady Belt, great holster and a great belt.

The holster rides nice and high, so if I lift my arms the holster 90% of the time stays covered.

www.highnoonholsters.com/_Sky_High

www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Rock_Steady_Belts

For those of you that don't like a Thumb Break Holster you can try the Slide Guard

www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Slide_Guard

or the Topless

www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Topless

Last edited:
Great post. I recently began carrying concealed when I can (employer has a no weapon policy). I inherited an OMC .380 from a family member and attached The Clip to it for IWB. It works great and can be repositioned quickly and easily. I too was panicky about people noticing but have found that noone is looking. I am always aware of my surroundings but most people are too wrapped up in their own day to day activities to give you a second glance.

Back
Top Bottom