Concealed carrier disarmed, searched, has weapon disassembled by Coral Gables Police

Since the PIG took the gun apart, and tossed it in the trunk there is no telling if all the parts are there. It would be the balls if the guy took the gun to a Gunsmith and had him put it back together and sent the bill to the chief, and what ever administrating officer the city/town has.

even better, being told to open the trunk could open the driver up to being searched even further. That cop sucks balls@ck.

another data point that this forum is being overrun by people who do nothing but spew bad information. Starting to get just a bit ridiculous around here. Stop. Just stop.

Nothing new. It was a lot worse when we started the forum as most didn't have a clue about the laws. Over the years a handful of us have been educating the people on NES so that more and more (those that bother to read the stickies, etc.) are better educated on the laws.

That said, there are always those that will spout stuff told to them by dealers, LEOs, instructors, etc. who are clueless. You just can't stop that from happening and it's not worth going insane trying to stop it.

Really? And you found this info where?

If you come to Florida, stay out of South Florida and the big cities. That’s just Southern New York, with the same people and the same attitudes.

Thank You! My late MIL retired there and every visit I found the same thing you stated, tons of arrogant oldsters from NY and Boston with attitudes to match. My Wife wants to retire there and I want no part of FL, this is one of the reasons, the humidity kills me and that is another major reason.

Now I may get raked over the coals for this but better to be take the abuse and know for sure (and based on who has spoken in this thread I will find out pretty fast).

My understanding for Mass was if not asked, do not volunteer since we do not have to. If asked if there is a firearm on us or in the car, we are required to disclose.

Fire away.

Police can lie to you with immunity (it's legal), but if you lie to a cop, you can be prosecuted and may get convicted. So if "asked" don't lie. BUT do NOT volunteer info for which you were not asked.

-------------------

To the case at hand:

- In his case, he should have ID'd himself as "part of the system", the jerk (cop) might have taken it down a few notches if he had.
- "Probable Cause" from Black's Law Dictionary (not the best, and some parts left out that don't seem relevant here) "An apparent state of facts found to exist upon reasonable inquiry (part left out) which would induce a reasonably intelligent and prudent man to believe, in a criminal case, that the accused person had committed the crime charged . . . " Now it has been a very long time since I went thru the police academy and a long time since I worked on the streets, but a family traveling with the man possessing a gun permit seems to be totally lacking any element in the above definition.
- I sincerely hope he sues on a civil rights violation in federal court and pierces the officer's immunity.
- I do believe that he was treated this way because he is Hispanic. No excuse for this, but my gut tells me that prejudice got in the way of good judgment here and there should be severe penalties for this.

The judge should have the cop's gun disassembled, and tossed in the trunk as punishment.

I respectfully disagree. I would hope that the judge disassembles the officer and throws him in a dark hole as punishment!! [The officer's gun is not the criminal here, so why punish the gun?]

even better, being told to open the trunk could open the driver up to being searched even further. That cop sucks balls@ck.

Very true.

5e84bda5d44e3a9355f27c9bf0c8a985.jpg

b7607860e2a4b49cf0621df47e2a34d2.jpg

Is that an app? If so, what is it called?

Having a gun in a school zone is against the law in all 50 states.
I know that, & him (as a CCW holder) should also.
He's lucky he wasn't arrested with federal charges..
Who the hell said he was on school property? I pick my son up from school with my side arm all they time. My son meets me a block down the street from the school. And my son knows why!!!!

Don't worry guys, he's just one of the few bad apples and I'm sure the department doesn't condone this sort of behavior!

What's that you say? The chief sad he didn't do anything wrong, yadayadayada, officer safety....? That just cannot be.

Don't worry guys, he's just one of the few bad apples and I'm sure the department doesn't condone this sort of behavior!

What's that you say? The chief sad he didn't do anything wrong, yadayadayada, officer safety....? That just cannot be.

Looks like a pretty clear cut case for any attorney that wants to dive in.

Chief PUBLICLY stated that this was alright. Baffling... No clue what he's doing, but like many chiefs, they're more politicians than chiefs.

Personally, if a cop were to disassemble my firearm, I'd toss him some Hoppes and ask him to clean it, too.

Nothing new. It was a lot worse when we started the forum as most didn't have a clue about the laws. Over the years a handful of us have been educating the people on NES so that more and more (those that bother to read the stickies, etc.) are better educated on the laws.

That said, there are always those that will spout stuff told to them by dealers, LEOs, instructors, etc. who are clueless. You just can't stop that from happening and it's not worth going insane trying to stop it.

You may be right, but it is still annoying as hell watching people spew back and forth crap that, many times, could get someone in a lot of trouble if they followed. I wish people would think "am I sure this is right?" before posting more often. My wife tells me i expect too much out of people on an almost daily basis [rofl]

There aren't a few bad apples, many if not most cops are corrupted by the power, and just a few of them are literally insane enough to act out their sadistic assault on another's civil rights and get caught.

Hi Jeff, it's an app on the iTunes Store called...ready?....."CCW" it's the first one the iTunes Store. $1.99. I picked it up just to check it out, not a bad app. It's got links to a all the state laws.
+1 for ccw app, I love it, state by state laws for transportation of firearm, ammo, when you can and cannot carry, great app

What do you think, are we safer with a firearm, at risk of getting killed by a cop who freaks out and kills us during a routine traffic stop? ; or safer not carrying and hoping I never need it. The chances of me having a car accident or pulled over for speeding are a lot higher than me getting attacked by a thug....

Seriously considering carrying only when I feel I am at high risk, more worried about being protected and served to death....

Eric Friday, of Fletcher & Phillips, is the general counsel and lead attorney for Florida Carry, Inc. He too has issues with the constitutionality of the search.

Surprisingly, Friday was not surprised by Oliva’s allegations.

“This is not the first time I’ve heard this story– right down to every round out of the mag, disassembling the gun, and throwing it into the trunk,” Friday said. “Given the significant history of concealed-carry licensees as law-abiding citizens, they should be considered just as trustworthy as any police officer during a traffic stop.”

Friday reiterated that no driver in Florida has a duty to tell police when they are armed.

“Because of repeated instances such as you are describing to me, I no longer recommend that to people today,” Friday said. “I changed my position because of misconduct such as this. There used to be a mutual trust between law enforcement and most concealed-carriers, but police actions in recent years have done a lot to harm that history of mutual trust.”

http://www.gonh.org/uploads/images/97/GunLawsFaq20131006.pdf

My bestfriend since 8th grade is a cop, and I can already tell Hes becoming brainwashed. His tone, body language all changing it's crazy but true. Hes still cool though, and never has an answer for any law questions that I ask but eh

- - - Updated - - -

What if the cop says any weapons in the vehicle?

My bestfriend since 8th grade is a cop, and I can already tell Hes becoming brainwashed. His tone, body language all changing it's crazy but true. Hes still cool though, and never has an answer for any law questions that I ask but eh

- - - Updated - - -

How about "maybe"!

Seriously considering carrying only when I feel I am at high risk, more worried about being protected and served to death....

This is a rational approach. Start with a risk assessment. There are some strongly held opinions on this here, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if I am not carrying, what about the tire iron? a razor knife? a screwdriver? a baseball bat? all of those things are 'in my vehicle'. All could be considered weapons. [hmmm]

So I guess my answer would be 'can you be more specific?'

I only worked part-time, but saw one of my buddies go on as a permanent intermittent (FT but before test or final selection is made) and over 6 months watched him change completely.

If asked, don't lie and don't "game" the officer. It will go very badly if you do either.

I carry my LTC directly behind my license in my wallet (so you can see the LTC when the license is removed). Looks like I need to change its location in my wallet.

Dont bother...a MA cop that stops you not only knows you have an LTC but has a handy list of every FA-10 transaction in your name.

Cop was a real operator, too:

He removed the magazine and ejected a round from the chamber, which Oliva said is probably still laying in the street near the school.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont bother...a MA cop that stops you not only knows you have an LTC but has a handy list of every FA-10 transaction in your name.

As long as they don't get a bulletin of NES postings made by the driver, we are still safe.

But I'm giving out ideas now, not good.

“The way you have described it to me is that the officer by seeing the card, he would have the right to ask if there’s a weapon in the car,” Hudak said. “The other side of the coin is, if he leaves him in the car with a gun, is that ultimately optimum safety for the police officer? I believe the officer-survival skill is that he asks for the gun. The card is reasonable suspicion that a person inside the car may be armed, at which point the officer stays alive by the way he handled it. Based on the way you presented it to me, based on the officer seeing it in the wallet. It’s not a bad search.”

Yes, because the guys that go through the effort to get the license and drive a @$#%@! Prius are going to go all gang banger and bust a cap yo.

The card is reasonable suspicion that a person inside the car may be armed,

Yes. Legally. Being suspicious of a legal activity doesn't mean you get to do something illegal, like violate the 4th Amendment. It means if you don't like it, you can choke on a bag of dicks.

This story is crazy, practically everyone carries in FL. Christ, I know a bunch of old women that carry down there. It's getting to the point where you need to discreetly video a traffic stop to save your ass.

Back
Top Bottom