Conceal carry and traffic stops

ok, what about after the stop, assuming it's known that I am carrying, what next? Let's say the cop is a hardo and wants me to clear it and put it on the dash or even worse, hand it to him? What then? I've read threads here where the driver says something like "lets both leave our guns in their holsters where they belong." Is that legit? If he tells me to hand it over or whatever, am I legally bound to? Is it prudent to, regardless of the legality? What I don't want is some SWAT wannabe screaming at me on the side of the road, pointing his own gun at me because I'm playing lawyer.

My FIL is a retired LEO and in my discussions with him he implied if he asked for it, I had to give it to him. I told him I didn't think that to be the case, but I don't know what the MGLs state.

If a cop tells you to give him your gun, he is going to take your gun. He is either going to take your gun when you hand it to him or he is going to take your gun after you are down and bleeding out.

For your sake, I suggest that if he tells you to give him your gun, that you calmly and slowly follow his directions.

ok, what about after the stop, assuming it's known that I am carrying, what next? Let's say the cop is a hardo and wants me to clear it and put it on the dash or even worse, hand it to him? What then? I've read threads here where the driver says something like "lets both leave our guns in their holsters where they belong." Is that legit? If he tells me to hand it over or whatever, am I legally bound to? Is it prudent to, regardless of the legality? What I don't want is some SWAT wannabe screaming at me on the side of the road, pointing his own gun at me because I'm playing lawyer.

My FIL is a retired LEO and in my discussions with him he implied if he asked for it, I had to give it to him. I told him I didn't think that to be the case, but I don't know what the MGLs state.

Why do you want to complicate your life? You get pulled over, you keep your hands in sight. You present your license and registration when asked, and you do it slowly and calmly. You make a decision as to whether you want to inform the officer that you have a firearm or not. Personally, and yes, it's my personal choice as it is yours, I hand my carry permit to the officer with my license IF I have a firearm on me. It's a nice, quiet, non-threatening way of letting him know that I may have a firearm on me. When asked if I have a firearm on me, I answer truthfully. In some cases, the officer has simply said "fine, leave it where it is", in others, they've removed it from my vehicle while they ran my license and validated my permit.

In all cases my permit, license, registration, insurance and firearm were returned to me. Whenever my firearm has been temporarily taken from me by an officer, it's been returned to me with the magazine removed and with the chamber emptied. I don't have a problem with this, he's ensuring his safety. I know why he's stopping me, it's usually because I'm way over the speed limit; he doesn't know who I am when he walks up.

In fact, there's only been one time a police officer took my gun from me and didn't give it back immediately, and that's because I was unconscious at the time after an accident.

For your sake, I suggest that if he tells you to give him your gun, that you calmly and slowly follow his directions.
You never win arguments with cops about points of procedure and law in the street. You sometimes win in court, but only if you lay the groundwork by not being a jerk.

my girlfriend's father was spewing this derp bullshit the other night at dinner, "when you get pulled over give the officer your license and your CCW/LTC"

i should have called him out but i was being polite.

I was pulled over recently in Hubbardston(MA) and the officer had seen The Gun Parlor sticker on my back window and he asked me if i was carrying, usually i wouldn't care to answer but he seemed like a cool guy so when i told him all he said was "oh nice well keep carrying on and be safe" and then he just gave me a warning for not completely stopping at a stop sign and i was on my way

I'm always respectful regardless, even if the cop is a dick. I just didn't know if there was a tried and true response to a LEO demanding you turn your gun over during the traffic stop. Sounds like the response is to comply and hope it all goes well.

my girlfriend's father was spewing this derp bullshit the other night at dinner, "when you get pulled over give the officer your license and your CCW/LTC"

i should have called him out but i was being polite.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but why do you think this is "derp bullshit"? If I'm carrying concealed, that's exactly what I do.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but why do you think this is "derp bullshit"? If I'm carrying concealed, that's exactly what I do.

Because it is not required and with the wrong officer, can cause more problems than you want. Why offer unnecessary information? It's a personal choice, but I only offer information I am required to (license, registration)

Because it is not required in MA and has the chance of making the encounter go sideways if you happened to get stopped by the wrong cop.

I've been stopped while carrying. They didn't ask. I didn't volunteer. They gave me a warning, I thanked them and went on my way.

There are some cops that will take your gun for the duration of the stop. I would prefer that didn't happen as some cops have unsafe gun handling skills. And there is a small percentage of cops that will extract you from the car at gunpoint, disarm you, cuff you and stuff you. None of which will happen if you just STFU.

Because it is not required in MA and has the chance of making the encounter go sideways if you happened to get stopped by the wrong cop.

I've been stopped while carrying. They didn't ask. I didn't volunteer. They gave me a warning, I thanked them and went on my way.

There are some cops that will take your gun for the duration of the stop. I would prefer that didn't happen as [STRIKE=undefined]some[/STRIKE] MOST cops have unsafe gun handling skills. And there is a small percentage of cops that will extract you from the car at gunpoint, disarm you, cuff you and stuff you. None of which will happen if you just STFU.

FIFY

In my 17 yrs of experience working for the PD, most that I know are unsafe with firearms, they handle them like a ball point pen . . . don't care which way they point. That even included a MSP Lt. (ret) who was a firearms instructor for MSP and later worked as a Lt. at BC PD (where I also worked). Another example was when I stopped by MF&G to see if someone was there and 5 off-duty officers were on the range. 2 went downrange to change targets but 2 were handling the guns on the bench at the same time. I got out of there as fast as possible so as not to get shot myself! [You never tell a cop that they are doing something wrong/unsafe!]

Other than that I agree with what you posted and have BTDT myself.

What the guys above said. And its none of their business, its safer for both of you if you just keep your mouth shut and be on your way as soon as possible.

I tend to drive the speed limit, accelerate without my wheels squealing, stop at STOP signs and red lights, and yield.

Just sayin'.....

You must never drive in Boston then because it's the general rule of thumb that; you must drag race light to light, stopping at stop signs is optional, and yield signs are purely decorative..

You never win arguments with cops about points of procedure and law in the street. You sometimes win in court, but only if you lay the groundwork by not being a jerk.

Which is just another reason not to respect or trust cops. They arrest, cause you grief, aren't held accountable, and if you try to sue them for harassment (or just plain being an a$$hole), they get to use indemnity (a bull$hit loophole that keeps them from being held accountable, again).

Of course, I guess it is too much to expect cops to actually know the law they're supposed to uphold, right?

FIFY In my 17 yrs of experience working for the PD, most that I know are unsafe with firearms, they handle them like a ball point pen . . . don't care which way they point. That even included a MSP Lt. (ret) who was a firearms instructor for MSP and later worked as a Lt. at BC PD (where I also worked). Another example was mwhen I stopped by MF&G to see if someone was there and 5 off-duty officers were on the range. 2 went downrange to change targets but 2 were handling the guns on the bench at the same time. I got out of there as fast as possible so as not to get shot myself! [You never tell a cop that they are doing something wrong/unsafe!] Other than that I agree with what you posted and have BTDT myself.

No Len you aren't quite correct. Most can handle a ball point pen in a far better manner [rofl]

No Len you aren't quite correct. Most can handle a ball point pen in a far better manner [rofl]

Agreed Mark. My reference was intended to mean that they will point it in any direction while loaded with no concern for NDs . . . I should have worded it better.

I've been asked this question multiple times by friends and family, and there is no "correct" answer. I know a dozen different cops who will handle it a dozen different ways. And there is no standard state training on the issue as I know.

My take is this: Sure, concealed means concealed, but should something happen that exposes your gun now the attitude of the situation has just gone from casual to bad depending on who stopped you. Not to mention, as Len said LTC status shows up automatically in CJISweb now and I know of quite a few cops who will ask if there are any weapons in the vehicle, with an contrary answer probably a sustainable reason for a suitability revocation.

What I would probably do knowing what I know now is to say "I'm including my LTC with my license and registration because I'm currently carrying a holstered .45 on my right hip."

That said, M1911 has a great point re: gun handling skills. Each approach has it's risks.

YMMV

Last edited:
It would seem to me that in states like MA where a gun culture does not exist (many citizens here have them, but carry is not commonplace), LEO is less likely to ask you if you have a gun. Now, depending on the nature of the stop or where you are, it might come up. I personally don't carry one as of yet, but I've never had an officer ask me if I have any weapons in my car.

In today's day and age of technology, I can't imagine why a police officer wouldn't be able to see whether or not someone has an LTC. Besides, having an LTC could mean any number of things - (a) You work for a company that requires it, (b) you've purchased one for sport and mainly use it at a range, (c) you have one at home for self-defense.

But, to the point of another poster, and I've also confirmed this: Police are trained to assume everyone has a gun, and to assume the worst in the case of a traffic stop.

I'm obviously not LEO, but I would agree with the majority in not offering it if it's not asked. Or, if you are asked, answer the question as asked. If the question is "Do you have any weapons in the car", maybe answer "Yes, I do."

while I appreciate the heads up, makes no difference to me.

That's just you though. There was a female cop from Lowell teaching a class at UMass that told the whoke class that if she pulled someone over and they informed her that they were carrying you'd be staring down the barrel of her pistol. Cops like that are probably 1/2% of the Leo's out there. That said.......I am prepared to be pulled over by the 1/2% as I certainly don't know which cop just pulled me over. If asked if if i have weapons ill answer truthfully......and show my ltc if asked fornit.......othet than that subject.....Mouth shut.......5th and 4th amendment will be asserted at all times. I don't do anything illegal as far as I know......but any cop with their panties in a twist can find something if they really want to.......one of my favorite quotes from NES is "when answering questions from a cop bear in mind they are NOT asking you questions to give you the opportunity to prove you are more innocent than you already are". TRUTH!!!!

Last edited:

There are some cops that will take your gun for the duration of the stop. I would prefer that didn't happen as some cops have unsafe gun handling skills. And there is a small percentage of cops that will extract you from the car at gunpoint, disarm you, cuff you and stuff you. None of which will happen if you just STFU.

That's just you though. There was a female cop from Lowell teaching a class at UMass that told the whoke class that if she pulled someone over and they informed her that they were carrying you'd be staring down the barrel of her pistol. Cops like that are probably 1/2% of the Leo's out there. That said.......I am prepared to be pulled over by the 1/2% as I certainly don't know which cop just pulled me over. If asked if if i have weapons ill answer truthfully......and show my ltc if asked fornit.......othet than that subject.....Mouth shut.......5th and 4th amendment will be asserted at all times. I don't do anything illegal as far as I know......but any cop with their panties in a twist can find something if they really want to.......one of my favorite quotes from NES is "when answering questions from a cop bear in mind they are NOT asking you questions to give you the opportunity to prove you are more innocent than you already are". TRUTH!!!!

The above is good advice with good reasoning.

Sadly, sometimes it doesn't much matter what you do or don't do. All it takes is to be dealing with the wrong person.

Back
Top Bottom