• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Computer Jokes: Help Desk

Customer: Hi, this is Celine. I can't get my diskette out.

Helpdesk: Have you tried pushing the button?

Customer:
Yes, sure, nothing happens, it must be really stuck.

Helpdesk: That doesn't sound good; I'll make a note

Customer: No ... wait a minute... I hadn't inserted it yet...it's still on my desk... sorry .

Helpdesk: Good day. How may I help you?

Male customer: Hello... I can't print.

Helpdesk:
Would you click on start for me and.....

Male customer: Listen pal; don't start getting technical on me! I'm not Bill Gates damn it !

Hi, good afternoon, this is Martha, I can't print!

... every time I try it says 'Can't find printer'.

I've even lifted the printer and placed it in front of the monitor,

.... but the computer still says it can't find it...

Customer: I have problems printing in red ...

Help Desk: Do you have a colour printer?

Customer: Aaaah....................thank you.

Helpdesk: And now hit F8.

Customer: It's not working.

Helpdesk: What did you do, exactly?

Customer: I hit the F-key 8-times as you told me, but nothing's happening!

Customer: My keyboard is not working anymore.

Helpdesk: Are you sure it's plugged into the computer?

Customer: No. I can't get behind the computer.

Helpdesk: Pick up your keyboard and walk 10 paces back.

Customer: OK

Helpdesk: Did the keyboard come with you?

Customer: Yes

Helpdesk: That means the keyboard is not plugged in. Is there another keyboard?

Customer: Yes, there's another one here. Ah ... that one does work!

Customer: I was working on my computer and the screen just went blank.
HelpDesk: Did you accidentally hit the power switch on the front of the monitor?
Customer: No.
HelpDesk: OK, then try hitting ctrl-alt-del and tell me what happens.
Customer: I just did, but there's still nothing.
HelpDesk: Is the little power light still visible on the front of the monitor?
Customer: No, there's nothing showing there.
HelpDesk: Could you look at the back of the computer and monitor to verify that the cables are still connected?
Customer: It's really hard to see back there.
HelpDesk: Try turning the monitor around.
Customer: I did, but it doesn't help any. All the lights are out in the building.

Man, I don't miss the days of working a phone.

I had a manager call me about a problem. I was asking her to right click the mouse.

She was telling me that nothing was happening. I was expecting her to tell me that a menu was coming up. But she swore that when she was right clicking nothing would happen. Then I asked her if she was using the mouse on her desk.

She said no, that the mouse was the pointer on her screen.

She was using that mouse theme where the pointer is a mouse, the busy icon is some cheese or something.

It was not a pretty call.

What was scary was this was a manager for a VERY large company. Not my company thank god, but our customer.

I still do some customer support, but on this account we can walk up to their desk. And if we want, we can just connect to thier PCs from our desk down here. So at least we can see what they are doing.

User: My computer is locked up and doesn't work.

ME: does the mouse move on the screen or keyboard function?

User: nope, nothing

ME: I need you to push and hold the power button on the computer to power it off. NOT the monitor power button, but the computer power button. (most think shutting off the mointor shuts off the computer around here)

User: What's a monitor?

TRUE !!!!

Pilgrim said:
User: My computer is locked up and doesn't work.

ME: does the mouse move on the screen or keyboard function?

User: nope, nothing

ME: I need you to push and hold the power button on the computer to power it off. NOT the monitor power button, but the computer power button. (most think shutting off the mointor shuts off the computer around here)

User: What's a monitor?

TRUE !!!!

That's too funny. I can't tell you how many people I've told that they will need to shut off thier PC and turn it back on. And in like 20 seconds they tell me that they are back up and they are still locked up. I tell them that that was WAY to short of a time for MS to boot back up. And that's what they are doing.

Shutting off the Monitor and turing it back on. And they will swear that they are turning off the PC. Then you have to go up to thier desk.

Or when you tell them to hold down the button. ANd they press it, and then say that it wont' shut off. You tell them that you have to HOLD the button for like 20 or 30 seconds. They say that it doesn't work.

You go up there. Hold the button down and it shuts off. They are like, "What did you do?" I'll tell them I just held down the button. They will say that that's what they did. I just tell them, "Not long enough I guess."

user: My computer won't work

ME: What's it do?

USER: Nothing

ME: what color is the screen?

USER: Black, there's nothing on it.

ME: is it turned on?

USER: oh

----------------------------

TRUE - many times

USER: My computer is not working

ME: What's on the screen?

USER: I was running WORD and it froze.

ME: Does the pointer move when you move the mouse?

USER: no

ME: Does the keyboard do anything at all?

USER: no, what do I do?

ME: You have two options. you can either sit there and watch the pretty colors forever or you can shut it off and restart it.
---------------------------------------------

I get these types of questions and we are a small company with about 100 users.

Here is one I heard a while back.

TECH: How may I help you today?

CALLER: My coffee cup holder is broken.

TECH: Your what?

CALLER: Yeah, my coffee cup holder.

TECH: (clearly confused) Did you get this after you purchased your computer?

CALLER: No, it came with the computer you guys sold me.

TECH: (still confused) Well, where is this coffee cup holder? Is it on your desk?

CALLER: Don't you guys know your own products? It's right on the computer you sold me.

TECH: Well, I'm having a little trouble identifying which part this is. Exactly where is it located?

CALLER: (sounding exasperated) It's ON the computer. You push the little button and the tray slides out and you put your coffee cup in the hole. But the hole in the tray is a little too small for my cup and I have to push and pull it a lot and it broke! Now are you guys going to fix it or not?

TECH: (muffling a laugh) Let me put you on hold for a minute please.

My first job out of college was to replace PDP-8 computers on industrial spectometers with IBM style PCs using A/D converters on the photomultiplier tubes.

I wanted to go over all that just so that you know that the clients we had were not dumb people. Most had PhD in Chemistry and the jobs analyzing the results of these machines easily made 6 figures.

The office I was in had the head of Tech support who's main job was writing the manuals, not answering calls, but he got this one....

(actual words are lost in history, but this is approx)

Customer: HI, I'm having trouble, my disk 5 won't fit into the computer.

Tech Support: Are all the disks the same size?

C: Yes

TS: What size are you using?

C: 5.25"

TS: And Disks 1-4 worked OK?

C: Yes

TS: And now you are at the point where it is saying "insert Disk 5"?

C: Yes, and it doesn't fit in the drive.

TS: One moment

*places guy on hold and turns to me and relays call*

Me: What the F...

*takes phone*

M: Can you please verify that all the disks are there? You should have X, numbered 1-X

C: Is it safe to pull the 4 out of the computer?

M: *light dawns* Yes.

C: Done. All disks are here.

M: OK, now try disk 5

C: I got an error.

M: OK good. Your machine uses a "single disk" type drive. Unfortunately, you have to remove the old disk to insert a new one. So, when it asks for disk 2, you need to remove disk 1. Understand? Put in Disk 1 again and run it.

TS: *tries very very hard to hold back laughter*

C: OK, I understand. It's working. ...

*I put call on mute and speaker phone because we are in hysterics*

C: Inserting Disk 2. Opps, removing Disk 1 first

*People are now coming from other offices because we are laughing so hard*

C: Inserting Diak 3. F*** Sorry, removing Disk 2 and inserting Diak 3.

*New arrivals now getting the joke and losing it.*

C: *continues installation, forgetting to remove at least one more, but catching himself*

TS: *shoos everyone away so he can get back on the phone - we all leave and close his door.

---------------
The mark of a true professional, he managed to complete the call. The rest of us had the giggles for the rest of the day. For weeks all you had to do was mention "Opps, Forgot to remove it" and anyone in earshot would burst out laughing.

To this day, I wonder what kind of drive he had where he could jam 4 5.25" floppies and still be able to get them out again. And I still have no idea how the installer got to Disk five wihtout an error.

The other memorable one was the woman who kept referring to "Insert the Disk into your A Drive" as "Inserting the disk into my A-hole"

FPrice said:
Here is one I heard a while back.

TECH: How may I help you today?

CALLER: My coffee cup holder is broken.

TECH: Your what?

CALLER: Yeah, my coffee cup holder.

TECH: (clearly confused) Did you get this after you purchased your computer?

CALLER: No, it came with the computer you guys sold me.

TECH: (still confused) Well, where is this coffee cup holder? Is it on your desk?

CALLER: Don't you guys know your own products? It's right on the computer you sold me.

TECH: Well, I'm having a little trouble identifying which part this is. Exactly where is it located?

CALLER: (sounding exasperated) It's ON the computer. You push the little button and the tray slides out and you put your coffee cup in the hole. But the hole in the tray is a little too small for my cup and I have to push and pull it a lot and it broke! Now are you guys going to fix it or not?

TECH: (muffling a laugh) Let me put you on hold for a minute please.

Well that's one hell of a cup holder! :D

Helpdesk: What anti-virus program do you use?

Customer: Netscape.

Helpdesk: That's not an anti-virus program.

Customer: Oh, sorry ... Internet Explorer!?

Customer: I have a huge problem.

... friend has placed screensaver on my computer, but every time I move the mouse, it disappears !

Helpdesk: Microsoft Tech Support, may I help you?

Old woman: Good afternoon! I have waited over 4 hours for you.

Can You please tell me how long it will take before you can help me?

Helpdesk: Uhh..? Pardon, I don't understand your problem?

Old woman: I was working in Word and clicked the help button more than 4 hours ago.

. . . . can you tell me when you will finally be helping me?

Helpdesk: How may I help you?

Customer: I'm writing my first e-mail.

Helpdesk: OK, and, what seems to be the problem?

Customer: Well, I have the letter " a ", but how do I get the circle around it?

Helpdesk: Your password is the small letter a as in apple, a Capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7.

Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?

:D

Back
Top Bottom