• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Component Shortage

jhagberg88

NES Member
hey guys,

thinking about getting back into reloading when i get back to mass in late March, is the component shortage over? i use the following:

Red Dot
Power Pistol
Berrys 115g 9mm
Berrys 230g .45

Jason

hey guys,

thinking about getting back into reloading when i get back to mass in late March, is the component shortage over? i use the following:

Red Dot
Power Pistol
Berrys 115g 9mm
Berrys 230g .45

Jason

It's not over, but it's definitely getting better. You're going to have to be a lot more flexible in what you're willing to use and grab a couple of containers when you have the opportunity. I would suggest going to the store with a list of several powders that would work for you, instead of going and saying "I need this one powder".

I haven't seen Red Dot on the shelves in years. You can find Power Pistol or some of the other pistol powders much more reliably. Not sure where you're going to be in MA, but a trip up to Riley's and Shooters in Hooksett would definitely be worth your time.

I grabbed a box of Berry's .38 bullets out of desperation at Bass Pro shops a couple of weeks ago, but the price was pretty rapey. If you have any online sources for bullets, try them.

Bullets are plentiful now. The Berry's vendor I buy from has a full selection. Powder isn't totally back to normal, but you will be able to find something suitable online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullets and primers are easy to find online and in shops. Powder availability has improved over the last year. I know SO in Hooksett had 1lb, 4lb, and 8lb jugs of HP-38 and TG not too long ago. Having a bunch of HP-38 in stock says a lot when you compare to powder availbillty over the last few years.

I grabbed 2 pounds of Power Pistol from Patriot Arms in Ipswich about a month ago for $22 per pound. They had a bunch along with Unique and Bullseye.

Berrys 115g 9mm
Berrys 230g .45

I won't list the name, but if these prices suit you, PM or e-mail me.

Online Price List

Pistol Bullets 100ct Cast Coated
9mm/38 Super - 122gr RN bb $6.25 $6.50
9mm/38 Super – 125gr RNFP (Cowboy) $6.26 $6.55
9mm/38 Super – 150 RN $6.80 $7.05
38/357 - 158gr SWC bb $7.02 $7.27
38/357 – 158gr RNFP bb (Cowboy) $7.02 $7.27
38/357 – 158gr SWC (Gas Check) $9.64 $9.89
38/357 – 180gr RNFP $7.52 $7.77
40 Cal – 175gr SWC bb $7.31 $7.56
40 cal - 180gr TC bb $7.52 $7.77
41 cal – 215gr SWC bb $8.44 $8.69
44 cal - 200gr RNFP bb $8.07 $8.32
44 cal - 240gr SWC bb $9.05 $9.30
45 Auto - 180gr SWC bb $7.52 $7.77
45 Auto - 200gr SWC bb $8.07 $8.32
45 Long Colt - 200gr RNFP bb $8.07 $8.32
45 Auto - 230gr RN bb $8.81 $9.06
45 Long Colt – 255gr SWC bb $9.23 $9.48

Rifle Bullets 100ct Cast Coated

22 cal Rifle – 60gr GCSP $7.55 $7.80
25 cal Rifle – 100gr GCTC $8.40 $8.65
6.5mm Rifle – 150gr GCTC $10.35 $10.60
30 cal Rifle - 150gr GCFP $10.35 $10.60
30 Cal Rifle – 170gr GCSil $10.85 $11.10
30 cal Rifle – 180gr GCFP $11.15 $11.40
30 cal Rifle – 200gr GCSP $11.80 $12.05
303 British – 200gr GCSP $11.80 $12.05
32/20 – 115gr RNFP bb $6.00 $6.25
8mm Rifle – 180gr GCFP $11.15 $11.40
338 Rifle – 200gr RNFP $11.80 $12.05
45/70-350gr GCRNFP $17.15 $17.40

Many times better these days. Shooter's Outpost in NH has a very good stock of powders and such. It's definitely improved, but as others have mentioned, it helps to have a 2nd or 3rd choice of powders just in case.

Although the selection is pretty good I'm not to happy with local prices.
Varget is still a little tough to find along with 8lb jugs in general.

My favorite vendor had powder in and out of stock but still can't get enough in at any one time to offer large orders. I won't online order unless I can get the max of 6 8# jugs under the one hazmat/shipping

OP, don't know where you hang your hat but if your in the SE MA area Shooting Supply in Westport has a great selection of bullets of all types. I haven't needed to buy powder or primers for a while but I hear they a pretty well stocked with those as well, prices are reasonable too.

OP, don't know where you hang your hat but if your in the SE MA area Shooting Supply in Westport has a great selection of bullets of all types. I haven't needed to buy powder or primers for a while but I hear they a pretty well stocked with those as well, prices are reasonable too.

I'm pretty sure he hangs his hat close to me along the north shore. His best bet would be to go to Patriot Arms in Ipswich, Glenn's ammo and reloading in N. Reading, or up to SO and Rileys.

I picked up an 8# jug from Glen's earlier this year was $160 for the jug. Picked up 8# Red Dot front North Shore about the same time. Bullets I can't comment as I bought loads of what I needed well before the panic. Actually I found several Nosler 250 packs of 357 and 44 jacketed bullets I stashed away and completely forget about. Well moving downstairs wasn't as bad as I thought.

I'm pretty sure he hangs his hat close to me along the north shore. His best bet would be to go to Patriot Arms in Ipswich, Glenn's ammo and reloading in N. Reading, or up to SO and Rileys.

When I was spending time near Lowell last summer, I had good luck at Pete's in Hudson right across the border.

I was at SO last Saturday. They had a good assortment of powders. They had the two I was interested in, W231 and TG, in various sizes. While I was there I also grabbed some CFE Pistol for future use. They had tons of Berry's bullets. Can't remember offhand if they had the 115 in 9mm but they had at least half a dozen of the 124 9mm 1000 count. Plenty of Federal and CCI primers, no Winchester SP. I wish the prices were better but I give SO credit, they have the stock.

I was in ME over Labor day weekend and checked Kittery Trading Post and Cabelas and nether one had any powder in stock I was interested in. Cabelas had no SP primers in any brand.

I called Cabela's in Berlin, MA yesterday (9/24/15). The store is relatively new and I've never been. They have several pistol powders in stock along with primers. I was interested in CCI no. 500 - they had plenty. Usual prices $20 - $25 for a pound of power, $.03 per primer. I haven't been yet, but I'm going to check it out.

Glenns had all of this when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Actually Collectors in Stoneham was WELL stocked with powder/primers/lead bullets when I was there a week ago.

Don't know if Glenn had Berry's brand or some other one but they were plated none the less.

hey guys,

Red Dot
Power Pistol
Berrys 115g 9mm
Berrys 230g .45

Jason

Ive been to Cabelas in Berlin several time. Even today in fact. Powder is hit or miss. Decent selection but ive been a couple times they have ran out. They had a good selection of Berrys. Not sure exactly if the ones you are looking for but I would say worth a trip if its anywhere near your hat.

Do they hsve pistal powder in stock now? When i went there in july they only had some rifle powder and thats it...so i just picked up about 3k 9mm Hornady bullets

Kittery Trading Post got a 2 ton shipment of Hodgdon powder about a month ago, Shooters Outpost has tons in stock of most good stuff. Rileys has some qty. Cabelas in Scarborough, ME even has a powder cab full... I don't see a component shortage right now but you never know what will happen when nominations roll-around! Full-Retard hoarding. Buy early, buy plenty, don't procrastinate while the grass is green.

Back
Top Bottom