• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Competition Holster and belt set-up recommendations.

SSW

NES Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for a competition holster and belt set up.

I am looking to buy a competition set-up for a 45ACP 1911. (holster/mag holders).

At the Kelly event this weekend I was loaned a competition set up from a veteran shooter.

Does anyone know where you can purchase these (website).

Mostly looking for something I can use at USPSA, if possible (rules) IDPA and other disciplines. Something that would be acceptible for all the disciplines shot at the Kelly event this past weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For mag carriers, I like the Ready Tactical carriers the best: http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

I have been using Comp-tac carriers for years, but borrowed a couple Ready Tactical carriers from Jar for the Kelly match, as I didn't have enough for the USPSA stage. The Ready Tactical carriers are much smaller, making them easier to locate on your belt for USPSA.

I've been using a Comp-tac holster for my 1911 and it seems reasonable. It is legal for both USPSA and IDPA. Given how much I like their mag carriers, I might try the Ready Tactical holster next time around.

http://www.comp-tac.com/index.php

I have used Talon Tactical gear for all divisions and find the product and price very good.

For singlestack in USPSA you will need 5 mag holders and a holster. A CR Speed belt for that sport works great. For IDPA 2 mag holders, a sturdy belt through the pant loops and a holster. Same Talon Tactical gear.

I like to buy from those that support the shooting sports and would buy the CR Speed belt from Shooter's Connection and would but the mag holders and holster from Talon Tactical direct. (Tell Mike I sent you and it may ship a little quicker..... maybe not)

Talon Tactical

SHOOTERS Connection

If you want Blade tech, Shooters Connection has that too.

Best of luck

Gary

My setup:

Comp-tac holster
Blade-tech mag pouch
Wilderness Tactical Instructor's belt

This is legal for IDPA and USPSA production division. I highly recommend Comp-tac holsters and the Wilderness belt. IMO, buy quality holsters once and you can avoid ending up with a giant box of less expensive but crappier holsters that you never use. At least from what I've seen at matches, it seems like Comp-tac and Ready Tactical are the popular brands. The Blade-tech pouch are also good quality for a good price, just a bit bulky.

I've used comp-tac for my semi-auto holster/holders for my M&P's. I've got two belt holsters and two different IWB holsters. Up until recently I've been very happy with their quality and service. I've been going back and forth with them over my newest holster for my STI Spartan. They were happy to take it back for rework and paid for shipping. I just got it back today and it still doesn't fit. [thinking]. I'm sure they will either fix it or refund my money, but I'm a little surprised after my previous positive experiences.

I have used ready tactical for my revolver holster and speed loader holders. I may get a 1911 holster from them if Comp-tac can't get this one working. I've also used some very reasonably priced mag holders from tactical kydex on glocktalk (~$20/2 single mag pouches).

I shoot USPSA single stack division with a Blade-Tech holster. About $25 at Brownells.

You have some decisions to make. A double belt (inner and outer) is a great convenience (you can leave your mag pouches and holster on the outer belt) but is not legal for IDPA matches. If you intend to shoot IDPA the belt that holds the gear must pass through the belt loops on your pants.

With the exception of the belt, I would not spend a lot of money; Uncle Mike's makes a great kydex holster for the 1911 for about $20. I say this because your taste in holsters will most likely change as you gain experience and get to see what other shooters are using.

The belt is another matter altogether. You need a well fitting, rigid belt to mount your holster and mag pouches on. Don't scrimp here.

Back
Top Bottom