• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Competition for modern hunting rifles?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
What's out there for competitions for rifles like the Remington 700,Savage 10 and Win 70 in Mass or other parts of New England?

Workout a quick way to reload 5 rounds, you are limited to single-shot competitions. That means mid-range prone/F-class type matches.
Tons of those in the area.

F class, but with a big BUT...

F class matches are conducted under the NRA HP rules and the course of fire is typically 20 shots for record with either 2 or unlimited sighters. Shooting most rifles with a sporting contour 20 + times in under a half hour is going to smoke your barrel. POI will begin to drift all over the place on a factory barrel. I once saw a woman shooting a factory 243 in a 600 yard match get up close to 30 shots, she was shooting all over the 6ft target board.

So...if is a heavy barreled rifle you will be fine. There are a number of factory "tactical" or varmint offerings that would be fun to bring out to play. If it has a sporter barrel your probably not going to have too much fun. Savage offers some out of the box F class configurations, and the Savage F-TR rifle can compete at any level, it's a good rifle.

What's out there for competitions for rifles like the Remington 700,Savage 10 and Win 70 in Mass or other parts of New England?

Start one.

Others have noted that lighter-barreled rifles have issues with shooting too much ammo, too fast. Since your focus is "hunting" rifles, develop a course of fire that's more "real world" - e g, three/four shots at three different (unknown?) yardages. Prone at 50, kneeling at 100, offhand at 200. Could be fun.

Start one.

Others have noted that lighter-barreled rifles have issues with shooting too much ammo, too fast. Since your focus is "hunting" rifles, develop a course of fire that's more "real world" - e g, three/four shots at three different (unknown?) yardages. Prone at 50, kneeling at 100, offhand at 200. Could be fun.
Hmmm.... perhaps something like Killshot 3D Archery. That'd be fun I'd think. May have to look into that. I'll address this with my club in due time.

XTR has some very valid points and I can confirm the number of light barrel rifles I have seen fired at long range does exactly what he describes though I have seen one guy in his mid 80s shooting a Mod 70 Sporter at 1000 and he shot a 95 on the first ten rounds and a 99 on the second ten rounds in that 20 round string. I was scoring the guy shooting next to him and I could watch his target while I watched mine. I also saw him shoot exceptionally well with a 03A4 he restocked with a sporter stock. But XTR is right on the money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom