• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comparison of Mass Shootings and Shark Attacks by Year

Using data from a recent article in Mother Jones and from the Univ. of Florida Natural History Museum, I compiled this comparison of shark attacks and mass shooting frequency in the USA by year. Please distribute this chart, I think it speaks for itself.

FYI, visit the new New Mexico Gun Forum at nmguns.net!

shootings_vs_sharks.png

Last edited:
Amazing how they seem to correlate. Any idea why that would be? What did you do to 'smooth' the shooting data?

Arent anti's just going to point out that, to a large extent, mass shooting casualties were lower than shark casualties during the awb, and higher before and after?

Can someone explain the difference between the two mass shooting lines for me? I'm not sure what a smoothing algorithm entails.

The dotted line is the actual number of casualties. Theres such a difference from one year to the next, the line bounces up and down like someone having a heart attack. If you take an average of those numbers and plot a line (green), it is smoother and easier for the eye to visualize the overall trend, whether its going up or down. Thats the basic idea at least.

Any data before the "Jaws" movies? I bet there were 0 shark attacks before Hollywood glamorized shark-on-human violence.

Back
Top Bottom