• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compacts with the best out of the box trigger in MA?

A friend of mine who is a good shot, got into the FFDO program with the feds. They issued him a HK or Sig (I forget) that had a trigger that was (no joke) like 12 lbs.

Lol for awhile the FFDO gun was some kind of HK LEM deal (I want to say a USPc .40) and a common affectation was that people who don't understand how LEM works think that the trigger is 12 pounds, because when the hammer isnt preloaded it exposes you to the full spring weight. Rack the slide and now you have a 6 or 7 pound long pull, at worst. Basically if you don't rack the slide the hammer spring never gets preloaded. With a couple of mods you can get the LEM down to like 5 pounds or so, too. LEM actually would have been really cool if the reset was shorter than it is. I did fairly well with my P2000 LEM for a couple years, at least....

ETA: I find it interesting though you said he had two different guns. If the original was really 12 lbs all the time, makes me think it wasn't even a lem but a USPc DAO or something like
that. I remember the LEM coming in a couple different trigger weights but none as high as 12 lbs.

-Mike

Lol for awhile the FFDO gun was some kind of HK LEM deal (I want to say a USPc .40) and a common affectation was that people who don't understand how LEM works think that the trigger is 12 pounds, because when the hammer isnt preloaded it exposes you to the full spring weight. Rack the slide and now you have a 6 or 7 pound long pull, at worst. Basically if you don't rack the slide the hammer spring never gets preloaded. With a couple of mods you can get the LEM down to like 5 pounds or so, too. LEM actually would have been really cool if the reset was shorter than it is. I did fairly well with my P2000 LEM for a couple years, at least....

ETA: I find it interesting though you said he had two different guns. If the original was really 12 lbs all the time, makes me think it wasn't even a lem but a USPc DAO or something like
that. I remember the LEM coming in a couple different trigger weights but none as high as 12 lbs.

-Mike

I shot the gun. It was impossible. I tried to measure it with my Lymann trigger gauge and it was off scale. I have owned a LEM USP. I'd have known that it needed to be staged.

Even if he did make the mistake, that would have only affected the gun for the first shot. This thing was like nothing I'd ever shot.

I shot the gun. It was impossible. I tried to measure it with my Lymann trigger gauge and it was off scale. I have owned a LEM USP. I'd have known that it needed to be staged.

Even if he did make the mistake, that would have only affected the gun for the first shot. This thing was like nothing I'd ever shot.

There's also a possibility that parts were broken in there, too. If the thing that preloads the spring never engages, then you would end up with like a 12-14+ or something pound trigger pull every time. HK USPs (and derivatives like the P2000, etc. ) use a little sear spring that looks like a snakes tongue. If one half of the spring breaks off (which can happen, over time) it will cause the gun to operate as DAO only. (or on a LEM, the spring never preloads and you end up with a heavy pull each time. )

-Mike

After my buddy went to training, he was there for 2 weeks, I think Arizona, he said that everyone's gun was like this. This was how they were issued.

Maybe the guns were modified to never preload the spring? It wouldn't be the dumbest Governmental action I've ever heard of.

Remember, the FFDO program was done grudgingly. They have ridiculous procedures in place to make it as cumbersome as possible.

After my buddy went to training, he was there for 2 weeks, I think Arizona, he said that everyone's gun was like this. This was how they were issued.

Maybe the guns were modified to never preload the spring? It wouldn't be the dumbest Governmental action I've ever heard of.

Remember, the FFDO program was done grudgingly. They have ridiculous procedures in place to make it as cumbersome as possible.
I have talked to commercial pilots who said that the whole holster requirement to be an ffdo is so bad that you would never be able to get the gun out and use it in an emergency. Think of it as having a trigger lock on your gun while it's on your side

Back
Top Bottom