• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compact .45 semi-autos for CCW

So far, so good. I still need some more time before the trigger before I can hit the "I love it" status, but I like it so far. As long as I can solve this brass-in-the-face business, I should be ok. Though, while at the range with my brother I was shooting his SR1911 also and now I am trying to figure out how I can possibly carry a full size 1911 [laugh]. Man I love those things. Wish I had more funds available!
That's my favorite dilemma each morning... When I look at the G36 and the SR1911 and have pick my CCW for the day! [smile]

That's my favorite dilemma each morning... When I look at the G36 and the SR1911 and have pick my CCW for the day! [smile]

It's a good problem to have for sure! What holster are you using for the 1911? Biggest issue I see, other than the weight obviously (cured by a good belt), is the grip end being long and pointy. S&W E-series bobtail solves that problem, but didn't know about other models and how people do it comfortably.

It's a good problem to have for sure! What holster are you using for the 1911? Biggest issue I see, other than the weight obviously (cured by a good belt), is the grip end being long and pointy. S&W E-series bobtail solves that problem, but didn't know about other models and how people do it comfortably.
I use an M-TAC IWB holster from Comp-Tac (click here) on a decent leather gun belt I picked up at one of the Marlboro gun shows.

I carry at about the 4:30 - 5 o'clock position, with the grip of the gun across the right side of the curve of my lower back, which I find highly concealed (even under a t-shirt) as well as comfortable. Good lumbar support! [grin] I do use the 7 rd mags for CCW rather than the 8 rounders, just to keep it shorter, but I honestly haven't spent a day trying the 8... That might work, too.

Thanks for the info. I have a Comptac Spartan right now for my XDs. The MTAC looks nice, especially for something like a 1911. Maybe I'll have to steal my brothers' and 'try out' carrying with it... indefinitely.

IWB: Kramer Leather #3
OWB: Raven Concealment Phantom

i have medium size hands, glock30 is awesome i think the SF is slightly more comfy, but not a big deal. one my fave glocks.. (g30 OD GREEN)

The pro series officer size 3" model was awesome, I'm sorry I had to sell mine.

SA XDs - superb little 45 power house, enjoy that gun a lot. Smallest 45 package easily concealed.

I carry at about the 4:30 - 5 o'clock position, with the grip of the gun across the right side of the curve of my lower back, which I find highly concealed (even under a t-shirt) as well as comfortable. Good lumbar support! [grin] I do use the 7 rd mags for CCW rather than the 8 rounders, just to keep it shorter, but I honestly haven't spent a day trying the 8... That might work, too.
I tried carrying my SW1911 Pro in the 4:30-5-o'clock position (technically, the 7-7:30 position, being a leftie) and the stock tucked in nicely ... 'til I sat down, at which point it made a tent out of the back of my shirt. Does yours stay tucked, even when seated? How far forward do you have the holster canted?

My least worst position is a SuperTuck Deluxe at the 8:30 position (3:30 position for you right-handers) with a really steep FBI cant. The stock is even with my body, even when seated, for the most part.

Disclaimer: I do carry a full-sized 1911 concealed, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "compact .45" semi-auto.

- Dave

Last edited:
I tried carrying my SW1911 Pro in the 4:30-5-o'clock position (technically, the 7-7:30 position, being a leftie) and the stock tucked in nicely ... 'til I sat down, at which point it made a tent out of the back of my shirt. Does yours stay tucked, even when seated? How far forward do you have the holster canted?

My least worst position is a SuperTuck Deluxe at the 8:30 position (3:30 position for you right-handers) with a really steep FBI cant. The stock is even with my body, even when seated, for the most part.

Disclaimer: I do carry a full-sized 1911 concealed, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "compact .45" semi-auto.

- Dave
Mine is a full-sized 1911 at what I would call a "mild" FBI cant. As long as I sit reasonably upright it doesn't protrude, but it could also be how high up in wear my waistline?? If my jeans/shorts have settled down too far and I lean on the bar/table it'll definitely pop out, so I might give the gun belt a little hike and double check the shirt before I sit. I don't wear them absurdly hiked up, though.

Wanted to post an update. Just got back from the range a few mins ago and put through 4 different types of ammo.

First and foremost - I didn't have any failure to fires/extract or any issues whatsoever with any brand that I tried. The "brass off the face" may have been the way I was gripping the pistol, or could have even been my position in the range stall I was in and it could have possibly been smacking off the wall and pinging me off the face so quickly I couldn't tell.

I shot around 50 rounds of each:

Federal 230gr FMJ (Walmart)
PMC Bronze 230gr FMJ
American Eagle 230gr FMJ
Federal HST 230gr JHP

I couldn't tell any accuracy difference between any of them, as I am still getting used to the gun and I am all over the paper a bit. Only shooting at 8-10yds and generally get around 5-6 inch "groups". Should improve with time and practice.

Like I said, I did not have any brass ping me off the face this time which made me very happy. I changed my grip a bit, and held the gun very tightly and it made a good improvement. I was holding it as tightly and as high as possible while still being comfortable and it worked well. I might pick up some Talon rubberized grip tape/cover and see how it is. Either way, I am definitely liking this pistol. The only other thing I would improve on it would be to lighten the trigger pull a bit.

P220R3-45-SSE carry elite stainless could be my excellent choice. With its enhanced ergonomic features of a beavertail grip, front strap checkering and front cocking serrations, as a big bore carry pistol. Its beavertail grip allows the shooter to obtain his or her grip quickly and with confidence even under stress. if weight doesn't matters, about 39 oz with mags. with 3.9" barrel lenght.
220-carry-Elite-Stain-detail-bty.jpg
220-carry-Elite-Stain-detail-bty-dwn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@retrolS1 kindly advise the Mods to delete posted pictures in your property I'll try to remember not to encroached anymore at the "for official use only" topics!
All posted firearms I owned!

You can post whatever you want, that's what public forums are about pretty much (while staying within the rules, obviously). It's just that your posts come across as spam since they are a couple stock photos with a copy/pasted description from a brand new member. If the post was not intended that way, that's fine but it certainly looked like it was an ad of some sort.

Correct. I haven't heard any XDs problems yet, but they are so new that I am sure there will be some issues out there. G36's can run flawless once up to par. If there is a bad ejector, it can cause issues. I have read from many forums that they are the only Glock that you need to break in. I will get shit for saying that, but I did have a couple FTF and FTE during rounds 21-40.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an excellent picture comparison on the G30SF vs. XD45c. I found it on the XD forum, you I wonder where the bias is. [wink]

I always prefer for ccw glock.
My main carry glock 27 or 36 in the summer and glock 30 or 29 in the winter. But a just got SA XDs o boy what sweet little gun it is.
Wow... Extremely accurate it's made me feel so good about myself :)
About 400 rounds of variety of ammo from unc to hst, ranger sxt and black talon. Extremely reliable gun Iwas very pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom