1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Commuting from NH: is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shootermcgavin1, Sep 10, 2019.

1. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Ahh... so 5 years at 150K and you still drive the same car? Even at 30K for repurchase that comes to 6K a year. Redo the math. That does not even take in what I mentioned.

Brucewillis4316 likes this.

2. 1776

1776 NES Member

Turn off the brain for 3hrs a day, and waste of life pretty much sums it up. Knew a guy that had a local apartment and the NH house for retirement planning. I really miss sitting in a sea of red brake lights for hours. Then being rear ended four times by idiots in stop and go highway traffic added to the fun.

3. Chrisf350

Chrisf350

Can you find work outside of Watertown closer to 128? I do a lot of work in Bedford MA and that’s 50 minutes from Nashua, but when I need to get to Brookline or Newton it’s 2 hours. Start time for my jobs is about 8am

Also it was totally worth it for me. 128 is such a f***ing joke, even living in Winchester I was spending 40 minutes to get to Bedford and an hour to Brookline.

4. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

Get an apartment - single studio. No parking. Trains are your new friend. Still bring a pee bottle.

5. quincy

quincy NES Member

Plus psycho therapy, drugs, and other related medical costs from all the stress.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

The continued problem with mAss versus most other areas is that once Area A is congested, other parts of the country create Area B nearby but not TOO close to house more stuff. Then when that's full, they create Area C.

In mAss, we create Area A (128 Tech belt). We sort of create Area B (495 on the same latitudes) but we ALSO pack 8x as much crap in Area A anyhow. When Area B gets crowded, we pack more crap on both of them.

You can't CREATE more roadways to service the 128 belt nor the 495 one. You're tapped out. Better bet is to create a new area. No one wants to do that. The STATE could get involved and stuff, but we are the least progressive state when it comes to economics while being the MOST progressive state when it comes to taxation and government control. :(

7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I have two vehicles but yeah, for commuting that car is at 262K. If you don't have cars that can last that long that's 90% of your
    problem.

Do you use a car for anything other than commuting? Take that into account, too. That's not "free".

With the numbers you provided I could buy an old corolla, road it on minimal insurance, and throw it away every year just for commuting.... [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    AHM likes this.
  8. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Topic well covered time wise and the amount of suck but add some rain, snow or a good smash and all bets are off. No easy in to Watertown.

9. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

How early is early? The AM drive from Salem to Boston in 30-45 mins is a bit optimistic in my experience. Luckily now, I only go into the office about twice per month but also start from the Salem, NH area and go down 495 to Rhode Island. I cross over 93 at about 5:30am and often it is already all brake lights and stop and go on 93 south at that hour.
    The drive out of Boston, again, only from my experience (even leaving at 3:30pm), can be pretty tough heading north on 93 until at least 128. Seemed to always break up around there and start moving.

10. DPR

DPR NES Member

How long does it take to get from Quincy to Watertown for 8am? That’s not exactly a peach of a commute.

11. shootermcgavin1

shootermcgavin1 NES Member

Takes about an hour and twenty minutes. On good days it can be as short as an hour.

12. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

5AM. I can get finished from 12:30-4:30, so I'll get stuck in it going home.

13. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

So worth it! I’m noticeably happier this past year.

14. DPR

DPR NES Member

You can get a good ways north of Watertown in an hour and twenty. So for not much more of a commute to/from Quincy you'd be in NH.

15. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

50-60 mins isn't terrible but probably most sane people's upper limit.

When I lived in Saugus it took me damn near an hour to get into the financial district, which is like 10 miles away as the crow flies. Combo of driving and T.

My commute now from Agoura Hills to Century City LA is like 55 mins in the morning if I leave at 6am, but anywhere from 1 hour ten mins to 2 full hours going home in the afternoon. It's really starting to wear on me.

When I move back to the northeast I'd really love to live in NH on a border town, but I'm not sure I'll actually be able to deal with that commute assuming I end up working in Boston again. Getting raped on MA income taxes and NH property taxes is another thing to consider as well. NH tax benefits are really only if you live and work in NH.

16. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce NES Member

Don't tell them what happens if you don't leave till 3

bgoum likes this.
  17. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

I've been working from a home office for over ten years now (four different companies). I'm not sure I'd be willing to commute anywhere, ever again. Such a humongous time suck, and all the added expense.

OP - what is it you do for work? Can it be done remotely, or is there a company in NH you could apply to?

18. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

19. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

the only advantage to that commuters that for the two days a week that you're working from New Hampshire all your vacation time and all your paid holidays you can say are exempt from Massachusetts tax is you weren't there you only have to pay the tax on the work that you physically did in Massachusetts

20. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

I took a $10K haircut when I left Realogy in Waltham to work closer to home in Vermont. Even with steady raises these past two years I haven't recovered to where I was.

BUT... my commute is down a mountain road, up a two lane blacktop, more back roads, a dirt road... and after 35 minutes I FINALLY see my first traffic light 1/2 mile from my office. Actually, 4 lights within the last half mile. Takes me 10 minutes to clear the last light on the way home... and then no more lights. No traffic worth speaking of. Up here a traffic jam is 3 cars behind a tractor hauling a manure spreader.

You couldn't PAY me to go back to Marxachusetts. (and the headhunters have been trying, too!)

When Luv2BFree and I decided to escape, we were trying to decide between NH and VT. NH had a huge tax advantage, no question. But we decided to go up to Vermont, near Nickle, who got me started with the gun shop. Good thing, too... if we'd moved to southern NH, I'd probably have tried to stay at Realogy and do that awful commute down 3 to 128 every day. And that is a f***ing MISERABLE drive.

OP, whatever you do, try and minimize that commute. Even if you have to take a pay cut. Life is two short to spend so much of it staring at a sea of red lights.

21. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Sadly, it's probably barely 20 miles. 5 miles of local traffic going 15mph (assume lights and crap) is 20 min. That's 40-60 min for 15 miles of highway driving. Gahhhh!!!!

22. shootermcgavin1

It’s a 25-30 minute drive with no traffic. But where I am in Quincy, most of the time is lost trying to get on 93

23. shootermcgavin1

I work from home 2 days a week. I could probably get one more. 5 would be a stretch, but not out of the question I don’t think.
    I’m an analyst.
    I’d certainly be open to a new job/company, it is not as if I’m in my dream job or getting paid all that much. I just figure if I were to buy a house, I’d probably wanna stay working there for a bit for the sake of financial security.

StevieP likes this.
  24. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce NES Member

I do the Hillsborough county shuffle into Quincy quite often. We start at 7. Since a lack of punctuality is viewed as an extreme party foul by my employers I am up at 3 out the door at at 4:20 and in Quincy at 0600. Stuck in traffic is not a excuse that will fly. Arrive early, get a coffee and listen to the radio. Welcome to the trek of the lemmings. It is however better than living Mauraville.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

OP, one thing to keep in mind, depending on what you do, if you lose your job, what are your options?

Also, NH taxes and MA taxes. Ask your company if they will figure out your pay days that you work in NH. Where I work, they do that for employees so the accountant can calculate the correct amount to pay MA. We have a guy that lives in Nashua and comes to the office 2 days per week. I would ask him about his commute but I haven't been to that office in over a month.

At the end of the day, if commuting is already a pretty big concern, it will suck. No way around it.

Living away from the city has its positives ... when I used to live far from the city and commute 1.5hrs, the positive side was getting away from all the noise every day and every weekend I was in the woods. No people, no firetrucks or Starbucks ... so, I was very relaxed.

I also lived in a brand new place that didnt require any work. Part of the yard was all woods, and part of the yard had a Vegas style landscape (all rocks - that looked good, lol). So, I had no work on the weekends. It was totally worth it. I think people today waste way too much time and money on grass.

But now that I live in the city and work from home, I am way healthier. I work out one hour in the morning, one hour at night, then have one hour to eat breakfast and shower ... and I'm in a central location so I can hit most mountainbike trails within an hour drive. Added bonus, I can rent out this place for $500 more than my mortgage and being inside 95, I don't think a recession will have a big impact on home prices.

Downside ... people, Boston, taxes, less space.

Everything has positives and negatives.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    shootermcgavin1 likes this.