1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Commuting from NH: is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shootermcgavin1, Sep 10, 2019.

1. shootermcgavin1

shootermcgavin1 NES Member

Well the fiancé and I are looking for our first home purchase. We plan to take our time on this but we’ve been shopping to see what’s realistic. We have both expressed interest in NH— We like the woods and would love to escape Maura’s kingdom. She works remote, but I need to be in Watertown 3 days a week. 8-5. How bad is the commute?

2. Mr.E

Mr.E

Very....
    But 3 days a week only into Watertown isn't absurd. You're at peak hours both ways though so get ready for stop and go the ENTIRE way. Crap commute.
    I also get a chuckle at getting into my parking garage early and finding only cars with NH plates that probably left their house at 5am to beat the traffic...

3. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It all depends. It works for me. I work from home 2 or 3 days a week, and do a 1 hour drive to get to work. I'm in SW NH which is normally considered pretty far away, but my commute doesn't require going all the way to Boston or even 128. I guess most people are more likely to try to commute from a region that starts at Nashua and includes a lot of the towns east and north of there.

Watertown? I'm not sure. It may be possible to take Route 2 in most of the way but I don't know how difficult the rest would be. I can actually take 2 into Alewife relatively easily if I had to, from out west here. Although my commute ends before I get that far.

Living out here in the woods with the animals and the neighbors having fun shooting their guns, is way better than where I used to live in MA. I was getting really sick of my idiot neighbors having their daily drunken parties all night, standing outside in the yard literally just screaming for no reason while having gay sex in their cars in front of my house and dumping beer bottles and condoms all over the place. That sucked.

4. daekken

daekken NES Member

Traded an 8-15 minute one-way commute in MA for a 50-60 minute one-way commute in NH and do not regret it.

gasaman, slap shot, Cipher and 2 others like this.
  5. knoxy

knoxy NES Member

Commute to watertown at that time is horrible. I used to occasionally drive in from Manch area at that time. Waste of life.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Anything related to 128 is a disaster. You have to already know this unless you live in the Town of Waters already.

I drove from Pee-body to Nashua a few weeks ago. Left Pee-body at about 2. Could not BELIEVE the amount of traffic. It was like 4pm 20 years ago. Traffic on 128 stop-and-go. Getting onto Rt 3 was a nightmare. And Rt 3, while not stopped, was incredibly crowded. Didn't look fwd to coming back DOWN 3 and getting on 495S at 4pm either.

7. Sparkey

Sparkey NES Member

Always worth asking your employer if you can maybe do longer days to beat the traffic some and only have to go to the office 2 days

8. shootermcgavin1

shootermcgavin1 NES Member

I’m commuting from the South Shore currently. Takes just under 1:30 for me.

9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

If it's ONLY 3 days a week I would just sack up and do it. Bonus points if you can pick the days or switch it up. If it was 5 days a week I would be eating a gun before that. I live in Fitchburg and commute to west Cambridge (probably only 10-20 mins shorter than typical NH commute) but that's like one entire layer of garbage removed from Watertown. The problem with watertown is its buried behind garbage and there's no efficient way to get there. But for 3 days a week, that's not horrendous. And one of you already works remote? This is pretty much a no-brainer- GET OUT OF THIS SHITHOLE! [laugh]

-Mike

sigfanboy13 and shootermcgavin1 like this.
  10. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Add 7-9K a year as costs. Wear and tear, fuel, repairs and replacement costs on the vehicle, insurance and parking fees as well. Round it out to 10-12K a year on the commute.

quincy likes this.
  11. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

I'm debating on hoping right over the border into Salem. I'm on the clock early, so I would have a 30-45 minute AM drive. The drive home would be a bit longer. Any experiences driving out of Boston into Salem?

12. wilson911

wilson911

Did he say he was being chauffeured in a bentley?

Prepper likes this.
  13. drgrant

That's full on risitas thinking you would only spend 40 minutes getting there. 93 is a horror show unless you're really early or late. In early out early works
    best; although in late out late works best, but frankly that option is more f***ey because locals start stirring around the urban areas after 7 or so, basically you have a 1 hour window to get the f*** out of dodge before the locals start clogging everything up.

-Mike

14. drgrant

If you spend that much commuting 3 days a week from So. NH to Watertown, you're doing something horribly wrong, or driving the wrong car for the job. (A bus getting 5 mpg?) to do it, etc. I drive way more than he will and even I don't spend that much!

-Mike

15. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

I'm on the clock at 0500.

16. drgrant

Yeah, you'd basically be immune then, although mid afternoons can get slightly f***ey on 93 but you can test that out...

-Mike

17. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

Why not rent for a year to test it, then you'll know if you want to buy or not.

toekneepea and JayMcB like this.
  18. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

DON'T DO IT.

I lived in Vermont and had to drive down to Waltham MA for four and a half long-ass years for work - driving down Monday morning to arrive at 10 (trying it for 8 was insane) and leaving on Thursday afternoon. I came down 93 to 3 to 128. If I had to drive Rt 3 more than twice a week, I'd've snapped and gone all killdozer on the highway.

Seriously - take a few days, rent a motel room where you're thinking of buying and try the commute for yourself.

If you DO insist of doing the commute, my only advice is to A) sedate yourself before getting onto 128 or Rt 3 and B) start buying audiobooks from Audible. It'll be the only thing that can save your sanity - they worked great for me.

19. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

My coworker from my last job commuted from Kingston NH to downtown boston and it's a nightmare. They've lived there for like 3 years now and when i spoke to him a few weeks ago he said they were trying to figure out if they wanted to sell the house and move back to MA or start looking for a job in NH. He's in fairly specialized finance so he's never going to find a comparable gig in NH.

He would drive to Sullivan and finish the commute via orange line. Pretty much 2 hours each way.

20. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

And if he decides to move back, he needs to stock up on new Glocks.

21. quiller

quiller NES Member

It was a bad commute 15 years ago when we lived in Billerica and worked in Watertown. I would not do it now for any job. Simple not worth the hassle. As many have said, rent closer or get a gob and live in NH. All the benefits, not to mention getting out from under MA gun laws!

22. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

How many miles a year do you do?

23. Twigg

Twigg NES Member

Just move. Between the gas and tax savings once you land a local job as well as the sanity regained by not commuting will be well worth it.

The freedom is an added bonus.

24. Cipher

Cipher NES Member

[​IMG]

25. Inside Out

Inside Out NES Member

Something to consider:

Whatever the commute is now is as good as it’s going to be. Ever. The traffic won’t improve. So in 3 years it will be worse. Maybe considerably worse. In 5 years or 10....??

26. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

My buddy used to take a commuter bus back and forth from Nashua to South Station every day.
    Monthly pass, no cell phone conversations allowed, sleep, work, read....
    He did for 2 years before he lost his job....Sounded like hell on earth to me but it worked for him.

27. MaverickNH

MaverickNH NES Member

I’m in the car 440am from MHT and hit you gym in Southie in about an hour. If I’m in my car driving by 230pm it takes about 90min to get home.

28. drgrant

At last count, between 25-30K a year, sometimes more, and probably 80% of that is commuting or work related driving.

-Mike

29. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

I think you get the gist. Watertown is literally in the middle of dog shit.

Traffic starts around 545AM and normalized around 915AM.

Going home starts around 2pm and normalalizes around 630.

Give or take 20 minutes....

I have become such an a**h*** lately when it comes to scheduling job meetings. I will only do 5:30-7AM or 10:30AM-1:30PM. All due to traffic.... a**h*** clients who try to schedule meetings at 3 or 4pm can pound sand.

30. browncoat

browncoat

Find a job in another state. I'm leaving in two weeks, will be getting a pay bump and a drop in cost of living and commute time. Boston is ridiculous for commutes whether by train or car, and it will only get worse.