Commuter Rail Sheeple - micro rant

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning on the Commuter Rail, after the train stopped at South Station, I got yelled at by the conductor for ... Opening the door. Yes. I grabbed hold of the handle, and I slid the door open. The conductor told me I wasn't allowed to do that, it was a safety issue, that was his job, etc. I gave him my best insincere apology.

So here is the thing: today, I happened to be at one of the two doors where there was a conductor. Since they cut back from 5 conductors to 2 on most trains, they only open 2 of the 6-7 car doors. Most days, I, or someone else, opens the unattended door so that everyone else can get off the train. The conductors know this is happening, but don't say anything. Otherwise, they must think the doors open magically.

So yeah, the policy of the Commuter Rail is that for your own safety, you a not allowed to open your own door to exit the train. I have seen people stand there waiting,mor walk down three cars because they aer afraid to open the door.

This is a new policy, by the way, that corresponds to the cutting back of hours, and the longer train rides caused by longer times to load and unload passengers. So if you think that MA stupidity isn't infecting every little aspect of life in the City, you are so wrong.

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You're doing pretty damn good if this is the worst thing that happened to you today.

[wink]

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unless there's a sign telling me I can't open a door, the person telling me I can't open the door can get bent. And even if there is a sign, if a lack of attending personnel is going to present a safety hazard (scores of people trying to exit one door), they can get bent. The Commuter Rail blows for about 100 other reasons, besides this. I stopped riding it many years ago.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing pretty damn good if this is the worst thing that happened to you today.

[wink]
That is exactly what I said to the lady next to me walking off the train.

It's intended more as a statement of how ridiculous and minute the rules are getting than it is about me getting yelled at.

- - - Updated - - -

Micro rant should get micro rating.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know of some guys (and gals) down at Walter Reed National Medical Center who would like to have the same worries and concerns you had today. Put it in perspective, some conductor yelled at you. Is it going to stop you from opening the doors in the future? I seriously doubt it.

Frankly, who cares? The world is not going to come to an end tonight and you will probably live to see the sunrise.

I can see that one of the prolific "I hate all authority types" has chimed in. You just gotta love hearing the same message over, and over, and over, and over [rolleyes]...It gets tiresome.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think they would just have automatically opening and closing doors and an overhead voice that says "please mind the gap."

I think I was on the commuter rail from Boston once and I don't remember any issues with doors.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You think they would just have automatically opening and closing doors and an overhead voice that says "please mind the gap."
Not all platforms are the same height; you'd need a system that knew the platform height and could determine whether or not the stairs should be exposed in addition to opening the door.

FSTC

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When enough people fire off emails about the doors, the MBTA will add more conductors.
otherwise they will keep cutting until there is only one conductor, and some sort of "panic room" for the lone conductor.

Or this could all be trumped if you encourage one of the less in intelligent riders to open the door prematurely at speed, (probably falling to their death). The union will be on tv, public outcry etc. and Viola! More conductors!

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
You just gotta love hearing the same message over, and over, and over, and over [rolleyes]...It gets tiresome.
Practice what you preach?

In General :
Why have the same arguments with the same people in thread after thread after thread. You know neither side is going to change their opinion, so after a couple of times, just let it go.

Another_David

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
sounds familiar

meanwhile on the green line when a door won't shut properly the train doesn't move until the sensor reports the door is closed properly. the driver will open and close the doors to try and get it unstuck while everyone just stands there oblivious of what is going on. last week while this was happening I pushed my way through the crowd of lemmings and gave the stuck door a swift kick and then it shut. people looked at me like I was insane. then the train finally left the station. I think maybe one person understood what happened.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It also comes from a passenger opening a door and falls out gets hurt and sues mbta/mbcr and then thwy come down on the 2 conductors .....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds familiar

meanwhile on the green line when a door won't shut properly the train doesn't move until the sensor reports the door is closed properly. the driver will open and close the doors to try and get it unstuck while everyone just stands there oblivious of what is going on. last week while this was happening I pushed my way through the crowd of lemmings and gave the stuck door a swift kick and then it shut. people looked at me like I was insane. then the train finally left the station. I think maybe one person understood what happened.
The old trains? They doors are air operated. When it's cold out the moisture in the lines freeze... aka, it ain't work good.

The newer trains? They are Italian. The T cheaped out here.

GunGrey

Banned
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I know of some guys (and gals) down at Walter Reed National Medical Center who would like to have the same worries and concerns you had today. Put it in perspective, some conductor yelled at you. Is it going to stop you from opening the doors in the future? I seriously doubt it.

Frankly, who cares? The world is not going to come to an end tonight and you will probably live to see the sunrise.

I can see that one of the prolific "I hate all authority types" has chimed in. You just gotta love hearing the same message over, and over, and over, and over [rolleyes]...It gets tiresome.
says the one trick pony

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
says the one trick pony
Says the no trick pony [wink] nice job Gun Grey. As long the whiny man babies and armchair badasses keep redundicating their one trick, so will I, of course always within our NES Code of Conduct because like Eddie Coyle says we are all guests here...right? Point is this whole thread is much ado 'bout nothin' some gentleman doesn't want to walk thru 2 or 3 car lengths to get off the train. It "inconveniences" him so he just has to share with his other 18000 BFFs on NES. I'll stick with my one trick. It's a helluva a lot better than the one trick promulgated by the usual suspects...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also comes from a passenger opening a door and falls out gets hurt and sues mbta/mbcr and then thwy come down on the 2 conductors .....
Yes, occasionally you get a nice Wellesley resident attempt natural selection and tries to get off a moving train after missing their stop. I know MA is lawyer-ville, but if you jump from a moving train, you pretty much deserve what you get. Likewise, if you manage to crush your hand sliding a door open, well, Im surprised that you made it this far.

Anyway the rule(they now say it is a federal law) was made after they decided that they didn't want to man every door, which was the practice for most of the past fifteen years. If it is such a safety concern, shouldn't every door have a conductor? More to the point, in case of an emergency, you expect people to wait 5 minutes to shuffle through four cars to get off the train? This is without discussing how sometimes the doors are locked or broken, and what kind of safety issue that becomes if there is a fire, crash, or 'bad thing' occurring on the train.

And like I said before, this thread isn't a 'boo hoo I got yelled at' thread, it's about how absurd and ridiculous the rules are getting for the operation of a truly simple function.

For the most part, I like taking the train, but it is a rolling example of government incompetence in managing even the simplest system.

chinalfr

NES Member
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
serious question: are you going to open a door today on the train?
No big deal. I use to do that. Sometimes, the puke & pee smell in the cabin makes you just want to jump off the moving train. Also, the special smell from some dudes or gals can makes me just jump off too. Not mentioning the overflow toilet smell.

Don't blame OP action. When I take train as my daily commute, this is what I feel as a commuter. Before the train arrived terminal, I will be one of the person standing next to the door. This only applied train terminal only stop (north/south station). I had no problem with my action. I guess there always bad day for a train conductor.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i've had to sit by the toilet before, makes for a wonderful trip.

then again i've been ON that toilet for most of a trip before, and that's orders of mangnitude worse than just sitting next to it.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The one time I took the T (public transportation gives me the willies) I saw a kid jump off the train as it was coming into the station like he was in a movie or something. Didn't end well.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The one time I took the T (public transportation gives me the willies) I saw a kid jump off the train as it was coming into the station like he was in a movie or something. Didn't end well.
Was it just a face plant on the platform, or did this go full on "alpo chunks" ?

-Mike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So glad I don't take it any more. Always late getting to work, but never late leaving for home (tough if you can't get out of work early). Get stuck standing for the entire ride, even though you pay for a seat.
And speaking of sheeple, you just get desensitized during the walk into South Station. Wall to wall people, walking at a snails pace for the length of the platform, and 95% of them are walking in silence. It just feels like a zombie movie or something.

BattleSnail

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
reminds me of everyday situation where a crowd of people is going through double doors but only one is open. The line narrows for everyone to go through the one open door and no one thinks "hey I bet this other door opens too!"....Happens every day in Malden when I get off the Orange Line. Every day I have to walk around a hoard of morons and open the other door. It's almost like people really are sheep and are pretty content being herded.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
A couple of years ago, we had heavy Transit Police presence at the South Acton station for a few mornings to ensure that passengers didn't open their own doors.

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_14904345?IADID=Search-www.lowellsun.com-www.lowellsun.com

http://www.wickedlocal.com/x1042543720/Acton-passengers-buck-MBTA-authority
I love the birdbrained commentary in the article...

"There's no issues at other stations, so it's puzzling that this is happening at South Acton," he added.

Whoever said that is obviously a brain surgeon... did it occur to you guys that that is THE BUSIEST stop on the entire fitchburg line? As in, more people get on the train at So. Acton than any of the other stops, save for possibly Fitchburg. [laugh] It also doesn't help that people are scurrying onto the train so they can get the last of the completely unclaimed seats instead of having to share. That's why people go FR and fling doors open, they want to cut off other passengers to the free seats. [laugh]

-Mike

Top Bottom