Commuter Rail Fire

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
From what I've heard for maintenance and skilled labor at the MBTA, there is not a lottery but an actual job application. Followed by a written test, followed by a hands-on test, followed by an interview.
That's true, but you still need to know someone to get hired for maintenance and skilled labor. For management positions, it definitely comes down to who you blo... er, know.

I see what you did there.
No, that was a typo on my behalf. Senators Kerry and Kennedy did sign an agreement in 2000 that capped the Big Dig cost at $5.7 billion. Since the actual cost ballooned to over $24 billion plus and still going up, they only underestimated (lied!) by about $20 billion.

Reactions: AHM

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
MBTA rated as No. 2 best public transit system in the US:

MBTA Ranked As 2nd Best Public Transit System In US By New Study

Chaaaaaaaaalie Ba'kuh on duh Red Loine Mun-dee moh-nin

Baker rides the T - CommonWealth Magazine

Of course it's #2. The MBTA is. . . . Ohhnnn FIYAHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I remember when they added the Braintree line and all the new Red Line cars went there. What was that? 78? 80? We were so jelly on the Ashmont line. Sitting at Park St. "Oh look here comes a train. . . . oh, it's new - Braintree." Many of those original Braintree trains are still in service 40 years later. I wish I could remember what the old Ashmont trains looked like inside. It's been too long.

Tallahassee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Total BS staged event. He won't ride the service during the morning/afternoon rush, when this would actually matter.
The Globe article on the event comes right out and admits that - Baker said he wouldn't ride the T regularly because he has an entourage of about six people following him. A judge or a state legislator or someone without a retinue could regularly ride the T to work, but Baker has a security detail of two or three staties as a minimum at all times.

Talon3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You kidding me? Look at the stupid Mass Pike. They took down the toll booths to speed up traffic. The trouble is, you have maybe 2 lanes, where there is room for 4 or 5. Everything gets funneled down to gridlock.

Here's what it looks like in Auburn today:
View attachment 294800

View attachment 294799
Don't get me started on the pike... like before it was kinda fair you scanned on off at your exit. Now the toll gantrys are randomly placed so your paying for more miles then you used. Also they removed the lights so now if theres an issue a misread or a CC needs to be changed instead of getting the yellow warning light, its a fine in the account.
Also when the pike was the pike the road was decent always being resurfaced, potholes didnt exist. The had snow equipment out hours before any flakes pretreating, etc etc. Massdot now has the pike looking like every other road full of holes and neglect. Lets just take down the tolls and save the expense of the billing dept.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The State House was the only place that metal detectors picked up the metal in my body, I had to show them the big scars on my back and abdomen to be granted entry.
You can get a card by the manufacturer for your device for these occasions. I showed them the card and it requests a wand and physical search. With the card and the scars it is either full retard or I get waved in. If it is turned up too high it shuts off my electronic implant.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems they are asking all the wrong questions here.
for instance: "Who was the einstein engineer who put the electrical control master box for the entire red line 3 feet away from the train tracks????"

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me started on the pike... like before it was kinda fair you scanned on off at your exit. Now the toll gantrys are randomly placed so your paying for more miles then you used.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joyous commuter rail news:

I'm on the 804 train this morning and a fire extinguisher exploded. Apparently the extinguisher hit the deck and shot the retardant everywhere. Flame retardant went all over a car causing the car to be closed - don't need people walking and sitting in it.

But hey, I still got a window seat...

Edit: it's always reassuring to hear the MBTA guys announce "this is no laughing matter" as you can clearly hear in his voice that he finds this absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true the gantry's are set at places on the pike so the one in Southboro your paying all the to Auburn even if you get off at the Hopkinton exit 11A.
[shocked]
I should have known.

Massachusetts government -
they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
- Abba Eban​
(I might have lied a little about who he was referring to).

Sorry about that.

Although, when there were only 3 tolls on
the entire Merritt/Wilbur Cross parkway in CT,
it had the deliberate goal of sticking it to through-drivers
while leaving the road free for local travel.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It's true the gantry's are set at places on the pike so the one in Southboro your paying all the to Auburn even if you get off at the Hopkinton exit 11A.
Not to get the thread off-track, but there is a gantry just west of 495 (Exit 11A) I believe. But there is nothing between exits 11 and 10 I believe.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You folks DO realize that there wasn't a charge for EVERY increasing exit in either direction BEFORE gantries, right? Sometimes the distance just isn't enough.

EDIT
I did find a pre-gantry toll ticket. Damn. It was a long time since I took a ticket. When did they START charging for the west-of-Springfield run again???? LOL. That's right - they need to pay for the crappy road.

I guess my former statement was ". . . . at one time. . . ."

Best is the article I found it in from 2013 - Mass Pike director DePaola. Payola???? That's his name???? Good name.

Reactions: AHM

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
A few months ago, after a rant to my wife about how the MBTA sucks a billion plu$ out of the state budget every year, we see a news report on how wheels literally fell off a train....we looked at each other and burst into laughter...it's all you can do....

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, after a rant to my wife about how the MBTA sucks a billion plu$ out of the state budget every year, we see a news report on how wheels literally fell off a train....we looked at each other and burst into laughter...it's all you can do....
Commuter rail, or the T?

Top Bottom