• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commonwealth responsible for the entire licensing system - Really? No more local police issuing licenses?

At a Service Plaza on The Mass Turnpike Eastbound , just so I’d have to turn around, and only open on even days of the month , from 9 -12 then 1-3 with check in at a different plaza on odd days. Make it difficult is the Mass Way!!
Interesting that I was quoted, I never posted in this thread. Maybe a Quote from a different thread clicked on.

1658967495830.png

The office for LTC Licensure is going to be housed in the burnt out shell of an MBTA train.
Well there’s at least one gun club in an old MBTA bus maintenance facility which has repurposed beams from the Atlantic Avenue Elevated holding up the roof.

Call me cynical, but this 100%
Tough not to be cynical with our rights voted down 146-7 in a backhanded anti-gun crap stuffed IT bill. Voted on without any public comment.

Anything they do they are doing to be punitive at this point to gun owners via the Supreme Court ruling.

Expect nothing less.

With any luck I won't be around here to have to deal with another LTC renewal........

Massachusetts will make this as hard as possible so the majority of LTC holders will give up. Probably an office in downtown Boston with the administrators over booking appointments, cameras breaking. pencils need sharpening, coffee breaks and long lunches. A "closed sign" always hanging in the window even though you HAD an appointment. Think about people from the Western end of this shit hole, taking a day off from work only to see a closed sign on the door. Just remember what we have running this state....Maura will be collecting LTC's in her purse to keep along with Baker's balls.

That

One office, in Boston, with $20/hr parking, not near a commuter rail or subway line. With all the stability of 0bamacare computer systems.

Let’s guess 5 windows, 3 employees on staff with one a supervisor so 2 open windows. Allow 30 minutes per appointment, 8 hr day, 5 working hours so 10 appointments per day, 50 per week and 2500 per year. Figure computer failures, ‘upgrades’ and the rest; 2000 licenses processed per year.

Forgot, more like 1700 as one day a week will be spent forwarding & printing Licenses

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll start there. And then they'll be challenged in federal court. It might be ugly for a while. But in the end, we will prevail.

Hell, maybe CA/NY pisses the SC off so much they go ConCarry on us all. LOL. "Clearly you people can't be trusted with creating 'reasonable' licensing standards."

Well. . . . yeah.

Except they just changed the law that you need an interview every 3 years. Which is total BS.

"So you're applying for this gun permit renewal."

"Yes."

"Why is that?"

"Bruen."

"I'm sorry?"

"Bruen."

"Yeah, that's not an answer."

"That's OK. Your question wasn't a question. Bruen!"

The legislature creates rushed laws that make no sense and then expect everything to go smoothly while they go home patting themselves on .

I asked Jim what the plan was for all this.

The proposal was basically: apply online, fingerprints (as needed) at your PD; if you pass the check they'll mail out your card.
I remember back when I was an alien and was getting the old school alien FID, I had to get prints at Canton.

The guy doing the prints asked me if I ever committed a crime. I just looked at him because I couldn't figure out if he was stupid or serious.

He looks at me and says "well, have you?"

I just shook my head "if I had, I wouldn't be applying for this FID and doing all this".

If they're taking discretion away from CoPs and applying nothing but statutory disqualifiers, then why should the local po-po have anything to do with it?

If anything, centralizing it at state level would theoretically reduce abuses by mistakes or whims of local CoPs. But then, this is Massachusetts, where they can't even make sure commuter trains don't catch fire or runaway, so I'd expect them to screw this up too.
Recall what happened when Beacon Hill attempted eliminate the Local Franchise Agreement (LFA) law and on stop shop service provider permits. Never passed. Incumbent providers could continue to bribe the local "authority" to block competition. Boston didn't get high speed internet to homes until nearly a decade after the suburbs did. We got high speed the day we moved to Lowell from JP.
I'd be shocked if a centralized state LTC office ever passed. Demoncrats only like local control when it creates more opportunities for a few to gain more power and cash tips.

I'm sure they'll start there. And then they'll be challenged in federal court. It might be ugly for a while. But in the end, we will prevail.

Hell, maybe CA/NY pisses the SC off so much they go ConCarry on us all. LOL. "Clearly you people can't be trusted with creating 'reasonable' licensing standards."
The end??? The end will be your guns confiscated, shipped to a bonded Wearhouse to be sold off or "stolen" as quick as Maura can say "Lickity Split"

Better ... they make everyone in MA go to one tiny office in the middle of Boston. Get raped with parking, if you live 2hrs away, you need to take the entire day off.

The place is only open Tuesday through Thursday so the day off has to be as inconvenient as possible and only 10-3pm.

Even if you live across the street you will probably need a day off because they will make it first come first serve. GOOD LUCK.

That is what I see them doing.

Edit: BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!

The next State of MA vaccine mandate, only vaccinated people will be able to access the State govt building. Good luck renewing.
I don't believe they would be that silly but then again this is Mass. How does somebody who lives in Springfield gets a Boston if they don't have a car? This makes obtaining a license impossible for an entire class of people. There's no way that withstands of Court challenge. Particularly considering the issue has already been adjudicated for other rights. The same strict standard would apply here. They cannot make it unobtainable for People based on their means or material possessions such as a car.

I don't believe they would be that silly but then again this is Mass. How does somebody who lives in Springfield gets a Boston if they don't have a car? This makes obtaining a license impossible for an entire class of people. There's no way that withstands of Court challenge. Particularly considering the issue has already been adjudicated for other rights. The same strict standard would apply here. They cannot make it unobtainable for People based on their means or material possessions such as a car.
Ok. One tiny office in Boston, one tiny office in Springfield. Worcester travels somewhere.

This State would absolutely do that.

So, Branch offices throughout the state? Or everyone goes into Beantown...?
There are plenty of models they could copy. All I had to to to apply for my CWP was go to an Identigo location in town. The person there fills out the application, takes digital prints and submits both electronically on the spot. I had my license in hand in 18 days.

ETA; They also scan and submit the certificate from the CWP live fire course.

Hein? who and where would the interviews happen/with? this seems like a mess waiting to happen if so.
Interviews for non-residents happen in Chelsea, at the FRB.
Oh ok, now I see what the big plan is, MA state takes over the LTC process, knowing that they do NOT have the staffing resources to handle the hoards of applicants forthcoming and the majority of said applicants are just stuck in line waiting.......... and waiting...........................................................and waiting and just as you are next in line you are "sent away come back tomorrow" because it's 4:50 and the LTC processing office closes at 5:00 . (you all remember how things used to be at the MA RMV's back in the 80's and 90's right ?
Probably appointments only. That's what they do for now, for non-residents. They schedule them months in advance. I just take the day off, since it's going to be an all-day drive down and back anyway.

Good things are already happening on the Left Coast.
https://youtu.be/7MPlSlJtGbQ
"Supreme Court Decision Stops Police Enforcing California Magazine Ban!!!" That's the LAPD! Deciding not to go after people with normal sized magazines.
I heard there was a court ruling a while back, that caused a lot of left coast people to buy standard AR & AK mags, for a week until it was shut down.

This kind of thing makes me wonder if online sales of rifle and pistol Magazines (that hold more than 10 rnds), will not longer restrict sales going to the blue idiot states??
If you order some 20 rnd mags from BudsGunShop, will they abide by the USSC ruling? Or will they want Cheaper than Dirt or S&W to go first? :)

The title alone killed it:

HD.5245 An Relative to Restoring Civil Rights

A title like "An act to regulate", "An act to further restrict", "An act to control..." or the link may have stood a chance [rofl]

Referring to 2A legislation as "civil rights" legislation is accurate, and plays to the pro-gun rights crowd, but I am concerned it works against us when trying to get a D dominated legislature to do anything that could be seen as helping gun owners.

I asked Jim what the plan was for all this.

The proposal was basically: apply online, fingerprints (as needed) at your PD; if you pass the check they'll mail out your card.

As long as there’s an option for people that can’t afford the tech, an option to apply in person (at the local PD?) that would be perfect.

Almost perfect, rights aren’t dependent on housing, so you should be able to pick it up at the PD

As long as there’s an option for people that can’t afford the tech, an option to apply in person (at the local PD?) that would be perfect.

Almost perfect, rights aren’t dependent on housing, so you should be able to pick it up at the PD
Most towns have Internet access at no cost at their public libraries.

Back
Top Bottom