• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commonwealth responsible for the entire licensing system - Really? No more local police issuing licenses?

If they're taking discretion away from CoPs and applying nothing but statutory disqualifiers, then why should the local po-po have anything to do with it?

If anything, centralizing it at state level would theoretically reduce abuses by mistakes or whims of local CoPs. But then, this is Massachusetts, where they can't even make sure commuter trains don't catch fire or runaway, so I'd expect them to screw this up too.

but this is assachusetts. Centralizing the process allows the state to install one useless, overpaid, affirmative action hack with the proper anti 2A philosophy and thereby ensure that the "mistakes and whims" of chiefs who issue without hesitation are eliminated.

State power grab.

Thanks for the sharing the Email. Great story bro.

For a conspiracy theorist and Alex Jones lover, sometimes you dont see it. Let me explain it as clearly and direct as I can --- If the State of MA wants to take over this now, there is absolutely NO WAY it will be a good idea. NO WAY.
yes, one has to consider the motive

I'd rather go "Off the LTC Grid"...
They are doing everything they can to mess with the law abiding people. The people who care enough and respect the law enough to do the rite thing. We get up, go to work and walk the line everyday. Pay our bills, try our best to be the best we can for our family’s and to remain productive model citizens ! What for , I’m beginning to wonder. Model citizens are now the problem. One has to wonder why should anyone have to comply with the law anymore when the double standards are so in your face now !! Break the law and get out of jail ten minutes later , no repercussions , no problem. I think the good politicians are far and few in between and need to go. This is one of the smallest states in the union and the most heavily regulated and controlled ! I’m really getting sick of living like this. f*** mass and the two faced leadership we live under !

Does anyone here really think the MA legislature will willingly doing anything to make gun ownership less of a hassle?
If so, I've got a bri ... nope, not going to do it. Not going to run the risk of being prosecuted for taking advantage of the seriously mentally deficient.

Nothing good will come of this.
If it meant diverting fees from the city/town to the state, they'd do it.
Turning this into just another license the RMV churns out would be an improvement for MA.
Just add a gold star to the DL, do it for everyone.

but this is assachusetts. Centralizing the process allows the state to install one useless, overpaid, affirmative action hack with the proper anti 2A philosophy and thereby ensure that the "mistakes and whims" of chiefs who issue without hesitation are eliminated.

Sure.

Until the court smacks them straight down. Which they must, under Bruen.

Does anyone here really think the MA legislature will willingly doing anything to make gun ownership less of a hassle?
If so, I've got a bri ... nope, not going to do it. Not going to run the risk of being prosecuted for taking advantage of the seriously mentally deficient.

Nothing good will come of this.
Call me cynical, but this 100%

Related or unrelated, I am hearing accounts of deep 'red' towns removing LTC restrictions upon request.

It's just like the government to try to reinvent the wheel. Spend millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to fix something that you can easily fix. All you have to do is just make a few adjustments. Let the police continue to issue our licenses to carry. What I mean is, if you're not a wacko or a criminal, then just issue the damn license with no restrictions. But if there is a valid reason to reject the application, then reject the application, but the chief would no longer be able to make up a reason based on his or her own version of suitability. All the state can do is make it worse while at the same time filling their own pockets with cash, our cash.

They are doing everything they can to mess with the law abiding people. The people who care enough and respect the law enough to do the rite thing. We get up, go to work and walk the line everyday. Pay our bills, try our best to be the best we can for our family’s and to remain productive model citizens ! What for , I’m beginning to wonder. Model citizens are now the problem. One has to wonder why should anyone have to comply with the law anymore when the double standards are so in your face now !! Break the law and get out of jail ten minutes later , no repercussions , no problem. I think the good politicians are far and few in between and need to go. This is one of the smallest states in the union and the most heavily regulated and controlled ! I’m really getting sick of living like this. f*** mass and the two faced leadership we live under !
If they don't jack up the price, make life difficult, and cause pain to the productive members of society then there is no way for them to pay blm, antifag, and the rest of the free shit army. You are simply a money crop in need of harvesting as you mature.

everyone gets to go to Chelsea!

Isn't this how it works in Connecticut? I think everyone has to go to Middletown in person to get their license. Someone else here will know better than me. I looked into getting my license when I lived in CT but never followed through with it.

It's just like the government to try to reinvent the wheel. Spend millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to fix something that you can easily fix. All you have to do is just make a few adjustments. Let the police continue to issue our licenses to carry. What I mean is, if you're not a wacko or a criminal, then just issue the damn license with no restrictions. But if there is a valid reason to reject the application, then reject the application, but the chief would no longer be able to make up a reason based on his or her own version of suitability. All the state can do is make it worse while at the same time filling their own pockets with cash, our cash.
Again, this is GOAL's proposed bill. It's not the legislature's idea.
Isn't this how it works in Connecticut? I think everyone has to go to Middletown in person to get their license. Someone else here will know better than me. I looked into getting my license when I lived in CT but never followed through with it.
Things may have changed since you were in CT. It sounds like you go to your local PD, and later to a State PD (or other convenient, appropriate office)

Per https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DESPP/CSP/files/DPS-799-C.pdf the process is now as below (trimmed for readability):
1. Complete this form (DPS-799-C) and submit to appropriate local authority (local police, resident state trooper or first select person, as applicable)
2. Submit fingerprints for a criminal history check through a law enforcement agency.
3. Upon approval, the local authority will issue a Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers (DPS-11-C), effective for 60 days.
4. Within the 60 day period, go to a DESPP, Division of State Police, pistol permit location and submit [appropriate forms and fees]
5. Upon approval, your photograph will be taken at DESPP and you will be issued a state pistol permit.

If they're taking discretion away from CoPs and applying nothing but statutory disqualifiers, then why should the local po-po have anything to do with it?

If anything, centralizing it at state level would theoretically reduce abuses by mistakes or whims of local CoPs. But then, this is Massachusetts, where they can't even make sure commuter trains don't catch fire or runaway, so I'd expect them to screw this up too.

Well. . . . yeah.

Except they just changed the law that you need an interview every 3 years. Which is total BS.

"So you're applying for this gun permit renewal."

"Yes."

"Why is that?"

"Bruen."

"I'm sorry?"

"Bruen."

"Yeah, that's not an answer."

"That's OK. Your question wasn't a question. Bruen!"

The legislature creates rushed laws that make no sense and then expect everything to go smoothly while they go home patting themselves on the back.

Sure.

Until the court smacks them straight down. Which they must, under Bruen.
Eventually yes, but what if in the meantime some power hungry nutcase like Luther Harshbarger, Tom Reilly, or Martha Coakley is put in as the director of that licensing agency? Or even if Linsky is appointing to head it as pension boosting retirement hack job? In one way it makes the state more powerful, on the other hand it may make the state more legally vulnerable to challenges. Major risk versus opportunity.

This is yet another job they won’t let me have I could handle licensing for the entire state single-handedly… Don’t even need a badge or a gun..
It’s just like buying a handgun at an FFL the answer is yes or no, or wait three days. Talk about over complicating the easiest thing in America

Well. . . . yeah.

Except they just changed the law that you need an interview every 3 years. Which is total BS.

"So you're applying for this gun permit renewal."

"Yes."

"Why is that?"

"Bruen."

"I'm sorry?"

"Bruen."

"Yeah, that's not an answer."

"That's OK. Your question wasn't a question. Bruen!"

The legislature creates rushed laws that make no sense and then expect everything to go smoothly while they go home patting themselves on the back.

You did catch the part where I said they'd screw it up? Didn't you?

Oh yeah. They are destined to do so. They can't help themselves.

Imagine being first in so many things in teh 1770's. I mean, damn. If it wasn't for ASSachusetts, we might not have the whole Revolution.

Somehow within 100 years, we became the ass-end of everything. Estate taxes? Dead worst. Unemployment. Dead worst (or best if you like to get chronically laid off). Corruption and general screwupidness? A#1.

It's like CT and RI and road construction. They are destined to be Sisyphus. How many times IN A ROW did RI "fix" the GW bridge??? They were constructing it when my brother was in collitch at PC. That was 1981. They finally finished the. . . . .fourth reconstruction in 2010 or so. Now they're working on the roadway again??? C'mon. And CT - The patron saint of Connecticut is Nye N Teefive, our lady of perpetual construction. If they don't constrict 95 down to one lane each way at least twice in the entire span, I think they lose federal funding or something.

But I digress. mASS can't help but screw stuff up. They just can't. I fully expect it. I've got until 2025 until my license expires thankfully. Hopefully there will be enough court cases and injunctions by then so I won't care.

They’re just gonna pimp our licenses out to a third-party…
Maybe. The easy way to become Constitutionally compliant, would be to delete the non-compliant Rules & laws, and let gun shops run a NICS on new buyers.
Maybe keep the current state on-line system (I think it's still in place) for citizens (non-dealers) to legally sell guns to other citizens.
They just need to edit that system to run a NICS and allow handgun sales too.

Third party??? Like the tolls?? That's worked out well. LOL. Paying double or triple the cost b/c they have to bill you. I don't wanna know what their cut is on the EZPass.

Interviews should be gone. Just proof of residence, SSI number and run a background check. That's all that should be needed.
I do not trust the state will protect the info sufficiently enough to know my SS#. Show birth certificate and be done with it.

Hell the entire license concept should be shitcanned. The gang members dont need no stinking license, why should us tax payers need one?

Oh ok, now I see what the big plan is, MA state takes over the LTC process, knowing that they do NOT have the staffing resources to handle the hoards of applicants forthcoming and the majority of said applicants are just stuck in line waiting.......... and waiting...........................................................and waiting and just as you are next in line you are "sent away come back tomorrow" because it's 4:50 and the LTC processing office closes at 5:00 . (you all remember how things used to be at the MA RMV's back in the 80's and 90's right ?
The new LTC office will be a combination of RMV and the T employees.
Should be smooth as silk.

The office for LTC Licensure is going to be housed in the burnt out shell of an MBTA train.
At a Service Plaza on The Mass Turnpike Eastbound , just so I’d have to turn around, and only open on even days of the month , from 9 -12 then 1-3 with check in at a different plaza on odd days. Make it difficult is the Mass Way!!

Back
Top Bottom