Commonality or Diversification of Self Defense Platform/Caliber

Most police departments as well as the US military have .223/5.56 AR’s for rifles. The ability to pick up and use mags and ammo from battlefield casualties can’t be underestimated in a SHTF situation. Same goes for spare parts, 9mm and 45 ACP ammo and mags.
Actually, it is very easy to underestimate the value.

Great topic. Lots of insightful answers in this thread.

The issue I found with multiple calibers is if you don't have ammo for your gun, then you have a paperweight. Ammo always has been a priority to me. I currently only have 4 calibers: 9, 223, x39, and 308.

If I absolutely had to, I would give up 308. This is due strictly to the cost and commonality of the caliber (and only 1 magazine type in my case).

Regarding diversification, I can see the benefit of having diverse rifles for barter use, but not for defense. Again, without ammo, it's a paperweight. Guns themselves are extremely valuable and if someone needs one badly enough, they'll pay for it and find the ammo elsewhere.

My wife & I both carry 1911's in .45 acp. My son had to be different and choose to carry a 9mm. So of course I HAD to pick up a hi-power clone because JMB designed the best handguns in the world. I found it prudent to buy an extra mag for his sidearm and bring it with me when he's with me. I always bring extra ammo for everyone.

Pre 2020, I would not have bothered with more than a single spare mag (usually not even that) and would not have worried about round count. 99.99999% of bad guy situations would only require a couple rounds. Today? Damn- all those pop up zombie hordes in the cities make round count and extra mags a real world consideration assuming you can't just avoid the cities. The new normal is so fvcked up.

The issue I found with multiple calibers is if you don't have ammo for your gun, then you have a paperweight. Ammo always has been a priority to me. I currently only have 4 calibers: 9, 223, x39, and 308.

If I absolutely had to, I would give up 308. This is due strictly to the cost and commonality of the caliber (and only 1 magazine type in my case).

Regarding diversification, I can see the benefit of having diverse rifles for barter use, but not for defense. Again, without ammo, it's a paperweight. Guns themselves are extremely valuable and if someone needs one badly enough, they'll pay for it and find the ammo elsewhere.

For reloaders, common projectile calibers help if you aren't too hard on your brass and can get many cycles out of it. Granted many of my rifles are for competition including vintage, but .308 projectiles feed the .30-06 M1, the .308 National Match M1, the .308 M14, the K31's, the AK, the 300 BLK, and can work for the M39 in a pinch. I have a .307 Winchester lever action that is basically a rimmed .308 Win. As one would imagine, I buy .308 projectiles in bulk.

I’m a 5.56/9mm/12ga/.23LR guy almost exclusively. I do have a snubby .38, a .32 my papa stole off a Nazi, and a Mosin, but for the most part those guns are inconsequential from an expected use POV.

The only other caliber I might consider is 10mm. I want a Glock 40 in the worst way, for no particular reason.

9mm, 5.56, 22LR, 38S I have enough of these calibers that I don't have to worry about ammo shortages or rapey price gauging.
I have both practice and defensive.
For the "business time" guns I have at least three complete examples and spare parts up the wazzo.
I have handguns and rifles chambered for all of them (except 5.56).

I also have "plenty" of 45ACP, 308, 357 MAG 44SPL/MAG, 7.62x39, .380
I don't do weird calibers that are hard to find or I could blow up a gun if i loaded it in the wrong mag.

The must haves are a luxury in time's like this but reality of getting them isnt good , if all you have is a 30-30 lever gun or a boltgun get good with it and there's plenty of hunting ammo around. Would I want to go into a fire fight with a lever gun probably not , but I'm confident I could hold up just fine if all I had was Dad's old deer gun and a few boxes of ammo and you can always pick up what the bad guys left behind.

The must haves are a luxury in time's like this but reality of getting them isnt good , if all you have is a 30-30 lever gun or a boltgun get good with it and there's plenty of hunting ammo around. Would I want to go into a fire fight with a lever gun probably not , but I'm confident I could hold up just fine if all I had was Dad's old deer gun and a few boxes of ammo and you can always pick up what the bad guys left behind.

That's why everyone should have a fo-tay, LOL. As previously mentioned, get a Glock 40 cal and buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Works fantastic for the G35, which becomes a bull barrel G34 with the 9mm conversion barrel.

For home defense
Probably more relevant to pistol/calibers, but can also apply to rifle/long guns in general.

What's your personal philosophy and justification?

Personally, I'm finding it to be advantageous to have a diverse collection of calibers as far as sourcing ammo through all this nonsense (I reload, but still check availability just to see where we're 'at' for panic/meltdown), but also completely understand from a training aspect that it would be highly recommended to at least have a common platform for all your self defense options.

I don't own any Glocks...yet. But I'm certainly starting to see some merit in the pistol line, where as they all have common controls and other than size/caliber, there's really not that much that sets one apart from the other.

I guess I'm now wondering if I made a mistake choosing so many different options for different calibers, or if I should maybe consider consolidating for 'ease of use'.

As far as my 'options' are concerned:
Micro - Kahr PM9 (pocket or ankle carry) w/2 extra magazines carried on ankle magazine holster if wearing pants or 1 extra magazine in pocket if wearing shorts
Sub Compact - Shield 9mm or .40 IWB at 4 o clock and extra magazine in pocket
Compact - CZ P01 w/16rd mag +1 decocked OWB and single 14rd spare magazine in pocket.

As you can see, there's a lot (perhaps a little TOO much) going on here from a commonality standpoint.

Regardless, I know the most important thing is to KEEP SHOOTING and to seek out training opportunities. Just wondering what works for all of you?

We use 12 gauge for our 870s, .223 for my bolt-action Savage Axis and Jill's Mini 14, .308 for my other bolt-action Savage Axis and .22LR for little Jill's 10/22 and Lexi's bolt-action Savage. Those are the only calibers we stock.

That's why everyone should have a fo-tay, LOL. As previously mentioned, get a Glock 40 cal and buy a 9mm conversion barrel. Works fantastic for the G35, which becomes a bull barrel G34 with the 9mm conversion barrel.

Yup, I have a fotay M&P full size & got a drop in 9mm barrel and a couple of mags. Haven't run .40 thru it since I got the conversion barrel but right now I'm kinda glad I have it and am sitting on some .40 that I never shoot (also have a Glock 22 but haven't got the conversion barrel for that since they're pricey, and a Sub2000 Glock 22 compatible). But for the most part I shoot 9mm anymore. Have plenty of .45, .40, .38, 5.56, .22 since I don't shoot them often.

Oh wait, that's me who makes fun of 30-30. No joking, that round bugs me for some reason and I'm not a fan of M1 Carbines either. Maybe I'll try one again sometime and see the light.
Them‘s fighting words.

I don’t shoot a lot of it but it’s a formidable cartridge.

View: https://youtu.be/B8-L3PMtID0

Levervolution 160 grain at 2400. Good stuff!

Them‘s fighting words.

I don’t shoot a lot of it but it’s a formidable cartridge.

View: https://youtu.be/B8-L3PMtID0

Levervolution 160 grain at 2400. Good stuff!

Damn, just the ticket for 2 liter Fanta attacks!

Ok, 2400 with 160's is pretty damn good LOL. Also seems like every range I visit has tons of 30-30 brass that some lazy Fudd didn't pick up.

Damn, just the ticket for 2 liter Fanta attacks!

Ok, 2400 with 160's is pretty damn good LOL. Also seems like every range I visit has tons of 30-30 brass that some lazy Fudd didn't pick up.
😂😂😂
Yeah it gets bad press because of the shitty old ammo. Get a Savage 99 and run some high BC bullets and it comes to life.

I just love anything in a lever gun.

I have a personal inventory of 9mm/5.56/12g. All of my Glock mags fit any of my Glocks that can I pick up anywhere in my house. Same goes for my rifles and shotguns. I toyed around with the idea of of a snubnose in .38, but nothing firm on that yet.

I’m a 5.56/9mm/12ga/.23LR guy almost exclusively. I do have a snubby .38, a .32 my papa stole off a Nazi, and a Mosin, but for the most part those guns are inconsequential from an expected use POV.

The only other caliber I might consider is 10mm. I want a Glock 40 in the worst way, for no particular reason.
Is that some kind of wildcat? [smile] [wink]

Back
Top Bottom