Commonality or Diversification of Self Defense Platform/Caliber

76Too

NES Member
Probably more relevant to pistol/calibers, but can also apply to rifle/long guns in general.

What's your personal philosophy and justification?

Personally, I'm finding it to be advantageous to have a diverse collection of calibers as far as sourcing ammo through all this nonsense (I reload, but still check availability just to see where we're 'at' for panic/meltdown), but also completely understand from a training aspect that it would be highly recommended to at least have a common platform for all your self defense options.

I don't own any Glocks...yet. But I'm certainly starting to see some merit in the pistol line, where as they all have common controls and other than size/caliber, there's really not that much that sets one apart from the other.

I guess I'm now wondering if I made a mistake choosing so many different options for different calibers, or if I should maybe consider consolidating for 'ease of use'.

As far as my 'options' are concerned:
Micro - Kahr PM9 (pocket or ankle carry) w/2 extra magazines carried on ankle magazine holster if wearing pants or 1 extra magazine in pocket if wearing shorts
Sub Compact - Shield 9mm or .40 IWB at 4 o clock and extra magazine in pocket
Compact - CZ P01 w/16rd mag +1 decocked OWB and single 14rd spare magazine in pocket.

As you can see, there's a lot (perhaps a little TOO much) going on here from a commonality standpoint.

Regardless, I know the most important thing is to KEEP SHOOTING and to seek out training opportunities. Just wondering what works for all of you?

Last edited:
I agree with the commonality but only in my actual defensive weapons. It’s nice to have a PCC and a pistol chambered in the same cartridge.

I won’t stop shooting 45/70 or buying new 45/70 guns because lack of ammo or high costs. I just think you need that balance of defensive weapons and ammo.

Like you said the diverse selection of guns will usually give you something to shoot in the shortage because no one scoops up the 7.65 Argentine Mauser ammo.
If shit does his the fan and you come into a stash of 7.65 then you’ll be the only guy in the damn state shooting it.
That might be what keeps you alive.
That being said you need to keep the common guns around because the chances of running into 5.56 or 9mm are much higher.

So buy lots of guns but make sure you have some of the common defensive weapons in the common defensive cartridges. Then leave them in the safe all oiled up and ready... because they’re super boring anyway.

defensive stuff 2 commonly available calibers, 9 and .40 Short and weak covers most of our stuff,

it never hurts to have anything chambered in 22LR

if you have other commonly available stuff... .357 Mag, .38 Spl, .45ACP that doesn't hurt either, but IMHO 9MM is going to be the most commonly available ammo with (for the moment) .40S&W if the SHTF

Rifles? .223 would be my choice, or a 5.56 would be even better as it will take the lower powered .223 too

So buy lots of guns but make sure you have some of the common defensive weapons in the common defensive cartridges. Then leave them in the safe all oiled up and ready... because they’re super boring anyway.
+1 on ARs being boring. I begrudgingly accept them as a standard, but I would much rather shoot a FAL or an AK any day. Glocks are also boring, but work.

For defensive pistols I standardize to the 9mm caiber with the caveat that I also have a subcompact in 380 when size/form factor is an issue.
I think a few options is nice but they should operate in generally the same way (DA/SA or cock-n-lock, etc.). As a lefty, 80% of guns with safeties are not viable for me. So, to prevent any issues should an emergency arrive, I won't use a defensive pistol with a manual safety.

As much as I love my S&W Model 15 and shoot it well, I wouldn't carry it, although as a home defense piece, especially someone that can't rack a slide or something, it's viable.

For rifles? Well, they make AKs in 5.56 now...but I'd also recommend being proficient with at least one 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO rifle, even if they're not the first off your rack.

For rifles? Well, they make AKs in 5.56 now...but I'd also recommend being proficient with at least one 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO rifle, even if they're not the first off your rack.

Conversely? Make them the first off your rack.

I've owned one rifle in 5.56. I don't own it anymore. I've got a lot of SHTF rifles anyway and a lot of ammo for them. I'm not terribly worried about resupply, especially of 7.62x39.

If I was relying on my Enfield for SHTF? I'd be worried.

As far as the rifle calibers are concerned...the 'big two' couldn't be farther apart as far as advantages/disadvantages go either. AR's obviously are one of the most modular/interchangeable platforms in the history of firearms, but some will argue that not as reliable as AK's. 100% the most diverse platform too...5.56/.223 & 300blk, as well as 6.5 grendel and 458 socom to name a few of the calibers that can be shot through standard setups and interchanged at will.

AK's, while extremely reliable...I don't think i'd ever take a bolt out of my yugo and slap it in by bulgarian and just be totally ok with that. Also, I can't just take a 5.45 barrel and rivet it into my receiver in a hurry either. That being said, but current 'truck gun' and 'one gun for SHTF' are both AK platform.

To add, probably common sense for most, but I wouldn't recommend carrying something super valuable or meaningful to you. Use a $500 commodity pistol you can shoot well, not your grandpa's WW2 issue 1911...rifles are a little dicier...without going into LARP territory if I'm grabbing a rifle in an emergency it's likely to be a situation where I really need it and would be better off losing the rifle than my life.

I think the commonality of magazines is huge as well and is a reason to consider glocks... in .40 i have a glock 27, 23, 22 which all can shoot .357 and 9mm with a barrel change while using the same .40 cal mags (22). Paired with a sub2k in 40 and you have a wide range of options.

I much prefer the metal guns I have but i have a heck of a time telling the difference between a Berretta 92, 9mm mag and a sig 229 .40/357 mag from arms distance..so i wind up with a hundred different magazines, keeping them organized is a hassell. Where the glocks .40s are all just in one place.

Last edited:
As far as the rifle calibers are concerned...the 'big two' couldn't be farther apart as far as advantages/disadvantages go either. AR's obviously are one of the most modular/interchangeable platforms in the history of firearms, but some will argue that not as reliable as AK's. 100% the most diverse platform too...5.56/.223 & 300blk, as well as 6.5 grendel and 458 socom to name a few of the calibers that can be shot through standard setups and interchanged at will.

AK's, while extremely reliable...I don't think i'd ever take a bolt out of my yugo and slap it in by bulgarian and just be totally ok with that. Also, I can't just take a 5.45 barrel and rivet it into my receiver in a hurry either.
There's AKs in 5.56, 308, 5.45, 7.62x39 and even .224 Valk, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more. But, the point on modularity is conceded. My thing was more personal preference. I acknowledge the AR is the standard (and have multiple ARs), even though they are hardly a rifle I generally get excited about shooting.

Conversely? Make them the first off your rack.

I've owned one rifle in 5.56. I don't own it anymore. I've got a lot of SHTF rifles anyway and a lot of ammo for them. I'm not terribly worried about resupply, especially of 7.62x39.

If I was relying on my Enfield for SHTF? I'd be worried.
For sure, if we're going LARP mode and I have to be at Bunker Hill tomorrow for battle I'm bringing my Arsenal AK.
I meant that more directed to people who think the AR (and by extension 5.56) is the be all, end all of modern rifles/cartridges. There's plenty of viable defensive rifle choices, and it's wise, in my book, to be familiar with the common ones.

Having a limited set of calibers makes it easier to resist an impulse purchase -- Do I really want to buy that new .410 when doing so brings with it the expense of adding a few cases of ammo?

Personally, I'm finding it to be advantageous to have a diverse collection of calibers as far as sourcing ammo through all this nonsense (I reload, but still check availability just to see where we're 'at' for panic/meltdown),
I take the opposite point of view -- having standardized on a handful of calibers makes it easier to stack a long-term supply, so I can just ignore the meltdown and not "panic buy" or even worry about sourcing ammo.

As for "having something to shoot in the shortage", that's what .22lr is for, and to a lesser extent, reloadable 9mm.

Having a limited set of calibers makes it easier to resist an impulse purchase -- Do I really want to buy that new .410 when doing so brings with it the expense of adding a few cases of ammo?

I take the opposite point of view -- having standardized on a handful of calibers makes it easier to stack a long-term supply, so I can just ignore the meltdown and not "panic buy" or even worry about sourcing ammo.

As for "having something to shoot in the shortage", that's what .22lr is for, and to a lesser extent, reloadable 9mm.

Maybe I didn't communicate what I meant clearly enough, but I was kinda trying to say that IF I were in a position to HAVE to buy ammo now, I might find it advantageous to have a diverse range of calibers to choose from.

For sure, if we're going LARP mode and I have to be at Bunker Hill tomorrow for battle I'm bringing my Arsenal AK.

I wish I was still around MA...i'd request an NES LARP day where we could get all 'kitted up' and run around in the woods at my dads house (35 acres in central MA).

My personal choice would be a loin cloth and a spear...and nothing else.

Not just commonality, but redundancy. I have 3 S&W 638, 2 G23 and 2 G30 pistols among others.
I always have the 638 as backup and a G23/G30 on me depending on conditions and needs.

The redundancy is very important to me.

If I ever need to surrender a handgun "For Ballistic Testing" (Think "McCloskeys" of St. Louis) but have been able to retain my LTC, I have an instant replacement, that I can start carrying
as soon as I get home, or when the police leave. These guns are swapped out in rotation so that I always know their mechanical condition and functionality.
After a range trip, cleaning and holstering, I am back in the game.

The 'Redundancy' also means I have an 'instant' emergency parts kit, if needed.

If I lose my carry guns AND my LTC... I have options there too...

~Enbloc

Last edited:
Depends on the context of "defensive". My group of friends and I have decided to all have the same rifle type, handgun and IFAK. It just makes sense to use the same mags and parts. Of course, it doesn't matter if they carry a G17, 19 or 34, as long as the mags they (we) carry are min 17 rds and up.
As an individual, I don't think it matters what you use for HD, as long as you're using good defensive nuggets.

I'm a fan of two of everything. (or more) that has kept me from buying any of the SnW MnP line of pistols. (trigger in MA kept me from it before.)

With a handful of Glocks in the house which all take 19 mags, it's easy to prepare.

9mm Luger in the house also means I won't own anything which cross chambers or pretends to cross chamber. No 9mm Makarov. Also no .40.

45,. 380ACP, and 38-Spl all good to go.

I'm hoping to acquire a lever action .357/.38 soon. And a larger frame .357 revolver or cylinder swappable to 9mm with moon clips.

I think it condenses down to a few rules.

1. More than one weapon in the house which can fire any calibre you have.
2. Spares for all weapons you may need if they break.
3. No danger chance of chambering the wrong round. (9mm Makarov in 9mm Luger is baaaad. )

For years the only pistols I owned were an 80's vintage S&W 6" 686 given to me when new and a Ruger Mark III that was a gift from Dad. I've had to defend myself twice and each time came within a gnat's ass of pulling the trigger of the 686 before the BG's backed down. In terms of intimidation factor I will attest that size matters. The sight radius is an added bonus to hit where it matters which instills confidence that is crucial in such a situation. I'd say diversification is fine so long as you are using the biggest stick that makes sense for the situation. Be comfortable and proficient shooting your HD / SD guns and you are GTG.

Personally I get the commonality angle for keeping the ammo inventory simple, but as far as function & feel? I'd wager my HD G20 with the added weight of a light is easier to shoot accurately than is my pocket carry G43. There's no comparison in terminal ballistics but felt recoil and/or the ability to manage it aren't that different. EDC for me is a Sig P220 compact. Nice heft for the size and super easy and instinctive for me to shoot but given the weight of a full size P220 I'd rather have the G20 with its hotter rounds and higher capacity for HD.

Most police departments as well as the US military have .223/5.56 AR’s for rifles. The ability to pick up and use mags and ammo from battlefield casualties can’t be underestimated in a SHTF situation. Same goes for spare parts, 9mm and 45 ACP ammo and mags.

I have a Glock 19 9mm CCP and a CZ Scorpion 9mm PDW. Also have a Sig 220 Scorpion 45ACP, a Tavor 5.56 and an AR in 5.56. For reaching out at distance, an AR10 in .308/7.62.

Have the most common ammo and platforms/mags covered... so obviously commonality and simplicity is key for me.

over the years i have owned hk, ruger, s&w, etc. multiple calibers as i was newer to the shooting sports and it is like a dog and squirrel.

Pistols have a lot going for it when you simplify. Sure having tons of calibers makes ammo searching during panics easier. But if you limit yourself down to two calibers that also means you can stock up easier. Just ditched my glock 42 even though it is a glock, there was no commonality for ammo with my main CCW guns. 380 is expensive to buy.

i simplified into just Glock 26, Glock 19. for 9mm. Pros = spare parts are easy to buy, mags all fit the 26.

and just some 1911s because it is the .45 of choice for me. and 1911 mags can go into every 1911.

Rifles are a little different. I would worry less about calibers and rifle types. collect what you want.

My wife & I both carry 1911's in .45 acp. My son had to be different and choose to carry a 9mm. So of course I HAD to pick up a hi-power clone because JMB designed the best handguns in the world. I found it prudent to buy an extra mag for his sidearm and bring it with me when he's with me. I always bring extra ammo for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom