• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A, SAF, GOAL and FPC file against Baker admin on shop closures

So, when Covid-20 rolls into town what, if anything, prevents Gov/AG/Speaker from doing this again ? Don't we want an official "essential" tag for both shops and ranges from now on and forever?

So, when Covid-20 rolls into town what, if anything, prevents Gov/AG/Speaker from doing this again ? Don't we want an official "essential" tag for both shops and ranges from now on and forever?
This is what I keep thinking about. Not only gun shops/ranges etc. but the whole freakin economy. We just going to shut down the country again, once corona ramps up again in the fall/winter??? [banghead]

I just got an e mail from 4 seasons saying no appointments nessasary any more, though they will honor the appointments people already made for next week, they have a new system of 2 lines one for ammo etc, one for fire arms purchase something must have changed??

I just got an e mail from 4 seasons saying no appointments nessasary any more, though they will honor the appointments people already made for next week, they have a new system of 2 lines one for ammo etc, one for fire arms purchase something must have changed??

Tombstone Trading just posted a video on facebook saying the same.

MassLive.com - Gun Shops can resume normal operations

"The first phase of the Massachusetts reopening plan imposes no capacity restrictions on gun shops, allowing them to resume normal operations once they first implement the workplace safety standards, according to Baker administration officials. "

I will do my part and shoot 60% slower with even slower reloads ;-)

Whatever I need to do to help comply,,,,

<Edit>....come to think of it, I haven't shot in so long this is probably not too far from the truth ;-)

Oh, and I promise to miss badly at least once per mag...

Just got back from my first range trip in months....confirmed....I suck more now than I used to. A reminder to all...shooting is a perishable skill...use it or lose it !!!

This is what I keep thinking about. Not only gun shops/ranges etc. but the whole freakin economy. We just going to shut down the country again, once corona ramps up again in the fall/winter??? [banghead]

Ramps up in the fall? It ain't going away in the summer - hate to break it to folks... It's spreading in TX right now and it's hot AF there now. It spread in December (summer) in Australia... It ain't going away when the weather gets warm... Anyone paying attention knows better.

Th

"The first phase of the Massachusetts reopening plan imposes no capacity restrictions on gun shops, allowing them to resume normal operations once they first implement the workplace safety standards, according to Baker administration officials. "

Thanks to Comm2A for the win and fighting the good fight.

Bob

So what's the status on this now? Waiting the judge's final order? Or another hearing on the range closures? I assumed there will still be a ruling on limiting the state's ability to pull this crap again without having to go to the courts for the same relief?

So what's the status on this now? Waiting the judge's final order? Or another hearing on the range closures? I assumed there will still be a ruling on limiting the state's ability to pull this crap again without having to go to the courts for the same relief?

The state has moved to dismiss as moot.

Motion to dismiss: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.220544/gov.uscourts.mad.220544.104.0.pdf
Memorandum in support of motion to dismiss: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.220544/gov.uscourts.mad.220544.105.0.pdf

The plaintiffs have proposed a pretrial schedule: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.220544/gov.uscourts.mad.220544.106.0.pdf

Of COURSE they would. They wouldn't want anything to prevent them from doing the same thing in the future.
I think this is a case where it's useful that we have a deliberative system of justice that doesn't move too quickly. I have a feeling the case will stay open long enough to prevent Charlie from doing it again, at least during this pandemic.

I'm sure he'll try it again during COVID-20, though.

Would the TRO still carry any weight in the future if the case doesn't move forward or would it just be water under the bridge ?
It's a preliminary injunction (TROs only last 14 days). It might carry persuasive weight, but it wouldn't be precedential. That said, I'm inclined to say it would raise judicial hackles if the case was dismissed for mootness and Baker did it again during this pandemic, even if it ended up with a different judge that's more anti-2A.

Judges really don't like people questioning the authority of the judiciary or "judge shopping", and that would likely trump the judge's individual beliefs on the case. Their attitude would be, you had a federal district court tell you you violated citizens' constitutional rights, you changed your behavior to moot the case, then you did it again?!

It's a preliminary injunction (TROs only last 14 days). It might carry persuasive weight, but it wouldn't be precedential. That said, I'm inclined to say it would raise judicial hackles if the case was dismissed for mootness and Baker did it again during this pandemic, even if it ended up with a different judge that's more anti-2A.

Judges really don't like people questioning the authority of the judiciary or "judge shopping", and that would likely trump the judge's individual beliefs on the case. Their attitude would be, you had a federal district court tell you you violated citizens' constitutional rights, you changed your behavior to moot the case, then you did it again?!

Like the NYS carry case that just went to SCOTUS?

Thanks
I was wondering if we might be back to square one if it gets mooted.

Would the TRO still carry any weight in the future if the case doesn't move forward or would it just be water under the bridge ?
If there was another stay-at-home order after the TRO expired, and the state again ordered the closure of guns stores as 'non-essential, we'd be back in court with the same judge.

Update from Friday:

Baker administration lawyers had taken the position that the limited time frame for the closures was enough to justify the actions
That's like saying "False information, or truthful information that causes panic, is harmful, so for a limited time, we are requiring govenmental pre-approval of news media reports on C-19. The limited timeframe of this prior restraint justifies the action."

It's a preliminary injunction. I'm fairly sure it's binding on both parties. It's definitely questionable whether it's binding on other gun shops not party to the suit. I think only the court can modify the order, and until then it's in full effect. Hopefully someone here can shine more light on this.

Edit: At least one gun shop (not party to the lawsuit) is no longer requiring appointments, effective today. You may be right that the injunction was only binding on the state.
It can only be binding on the state in that it restricts the extent the state can restrict constitutionally protected behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom