• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A, SAF, GOAL and FPC file against Baker admin on shop closures

All the court did in Cedrone v Baker was to deny the TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) that would have permiitted the pliaintiffs to reopen their shops & ranges immediately while the case proceeded. The case is still very much alive.
Rats! Was hoping this would go through. Is there an immediate appeal on this?

Maura's on Dan Ray now. Someone more articulate than my should call in. To are the grevance.
Got a link? Was it just a "general conversation", or was it specifically about this case?

They were talking specifically about covid scams. This is a different angle on it but still fits the bill in my mind. Probably would have been screened out of the call line anyhow. It ended at 9 said she would be back on I'm a couple weeks.

The only action today is (paraphrasing here) the judge asked why Baker/Maura didn't assent to the NSSF's amicus brief (I believe assenting to a brief from such a relevant party would be standard practice), and ordered them to provide an answer by Monday. Their reply, as I read it, is essentially "whoops - COVID + we're bad at our jobs, we actually don't oppose the acceptance of the brief": https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.mad.220544/gov.uscourts.mad.220544.51.0.pdf

Defendants, Governor Baker, Attorney General Healey, and Commissioners Bharel and Gagnon (the “Commonwealth Defendants”) will not oppose the filing of amicus briefs by the National Shooting Sports Foundation or other non-parties.

However, the proposed briefs are to be filed in connection with interlocutory motions in these matters that are pending during a pandemic that has largely closed their workspaces and which are proceeding on a short order of notice. In these exigent circumstances, the Commonwealth Defendants note potential complications associated with responding to arguments made in multiple amicus filings, especially to the extent they are filed shortly before the deadlines ordered by the Court. The Commonwealth Defendants therefore did not assent to the Motions.

Last edited:
I guess California just got some declaration about ammunition with a cease and desist today. Hope they can speed this up here for us.

so can anything happen over the weekend so I can finally pick up my bought and paid for purchase that is being held hostage at my FFL, or is this another week of tyranny from an oppressive government?

so can anything happen over the weekend so I can finally pick up my bought and paid for purchase that is being held hostage at my FFL, or is this another week of tyranny from an oppressive government?

Same boat. I have Sig P320 XC that Sig shipped to my FFL on 3/17. Don't know where it is other than it's NOT in my safe.

You have plenty of company in the boat i ordered a sw 686plus before things went haywire it came in but I can't pick it up thanks to faker and this bs

There should be some kind of recourse. These items have been paid for and now the Government is denying us access to lawfully purchased goods for what can be considered illegal reasons. What if I lost my job and needed to sell the firearm to put food on the table or pay my rent. I know the courts would probablky side with the Gov but that doesn't make it right.

Turkey season begins monday. Time to go into he woods and just off some rounds in a safe direction. Just to remind people we still exist.
I've never hunted deer yet, but aren't you supposed to hang up your kill (for a day or so?) and let it cure a bit after you dress it?

I live on a residential street with a good amount of foot and car traffic.

If I ever harvest a deer, I'm going to hang it up in my tree next to the side walk and dress it there just to remind people we exist.

I've never hunted deer yet, but aren't you supposed to hang up your kill (for a day or so?) and let it cure a bit after you dress it?

I live on a residential street with a good amount of foot and car traffic.

If I ever harvest a deer, I'm going to hang it up in my tree next to the side walk and dress it there just to remind people we exist.

Yeah but it needs to stay cool too.

Where I hunt there's a guy who has a deer dummy, when he bags a real deer he hangs the dummy by its neck off the tree in the front yard. The real one gets hung in his barn out back, you can see it sometimes when you drive by if the door is open. Makes me laugh every time.

Rats! Was hoping this would go through. Is there an immediate appeal on this?
This was a no-op, and there is a reason Comm2A did not make a similar filing in the case in which we are one of the participants. Nothing should be read into this rejection as it was without prejudice. Basically a big yawn, doesn't even rate a "rats!".

There was no chance an ex-parte TRO would happen, and although thee is no appeal to that ruling there will be a hearing on a regular TRO.

This was a no-op, and there is a reason Comm2A did not make a similar filing in the case in which we are one of the participants. Nothing should be read into this rejection as it was without prejudice. Basically a big yawn, doesn't even rate a "rats!".

There was no chance an ex-parte TRO would happen, and although thee is no appeal to that ruling there will be a hearing on a regular TRO.

Does the goal suit also contain a provision for a restraining order, or was that pretty much given as a waste of time?

Does the goal suit also contain a provision for a restraining order, or was that pretty much given as a waste of time?
I think so, but there is a HUGE difference between a restraining order and an ex-parte restraining order. The purpose of the order is to prevent immediate damage by enjoining enforcement until a decision in the case is rendered. These are granted in cases of "irreparable harm" - for example, if there is an order for you to tear you house down because it violates a deed covenant, and you file an appeal, you would generally get a TRO allowing the house to stand until the appeal is heard. Another example is the a ticker broker's appeal of an order to reveal sources - an order was issued delaying enforcement until an appeal could be heard because the bell could not be unrung if the ticket seller won the appeal and was allowed to keep that info secret.

I think so, but there is a HUGE difference between a restraining order and an ex-parte restraining order. The purpose of the order is to prevent immediate damage by enjoining enforcement until a decision in the case is rendered. These are granted in cases of "irreparable harm" - for example, if there is an order for you to tear you house down because it violates a deed covenant, and you file an appeal, you would generally get a TRO allowing the house to stand until the appeal is heard. Another example is the a ticker broker's appeal of an order to reveal sources - an order was issued delaying enforcement until an appeal could be heard because the bell could not be unrung if the ticket seller won the appeal and was allowed to keep that info secret.
What I think I'm missing is, is there a chance the TRO will be addressed before the scheduled hearing on the preliminary injunction on May 4th, or is that probably off the table?

So, in legalese, basically the issue is that Baker is Healy's bitch. He's no supporter of 2A, but he might not be such a contrarian if it wasn't for that guy, Moora.
I'd say that about sums it up. I don't think Faker gives a hoot either way. I don't think he even thinks about it let alone has an opinion. He's just a 7' dud. Maura, on the other hand, is power hungry and an anti-2A fanatic. I'm sure that locking us out and trying to bankrupt the dealers was her idea.

Wait, which suit got the cease and desist shut down? I'm totally lost. Just keep up the good work, whatever that may be.

"Maura, on the other hand, is power hungry and an anti-2A fanatic. I'm sure that locking us out and trying to bankrupt the dealers was her idea."

I agree with this. She's power hungry and dangerous to gun owners, and probably an actual Sociopath.

And here I thought that someone being denied access to a constitutional right for even one day was irreparable harm.

As we all know, ex-parte restraining orders are the exclusive domain of Red Flag cases!

Back
Top Bottom