Comm2A - Lawsuit filed against Everett Police Chief

Does anyone know if the new LTCs are coming through as unrestricted or is the COP pissed and taking it out on the new licensees? He still holds some cards, sigh!

Does anyone know if the new LTCs are coming through as unrestricted or is the COP pissed and taking it out on the new licensees? He still holds some cards, sigh!

Just remember, the one thing that will send any police chief running around in circles like a chicken with his head cut off is the fear of getting sued. I doubt any chief would take such retalitory tactics that would put himself at ever greater liability, but stranger things have happened.

Just remember, the one thing that will send any police chief running around in circles like a chicken with his head cut off is the fear of getting sued. I doubt any chief would take such retalitory tactics that would put himself at ever greater liability, but stranger things have happened.

Everett may be the longest city in the state for issuing LTC's, but they are extremely green.

I take the police at his word that this is primarily a personnel issue and they are not intentionally delaying the issuing of licenses. That said, this is a very poor excuse and speak poorly of the chief's management abilities - a fish rots from the head.

We now know what it takes to get a licensed processed in Everett: 1) apply normally, 2) wait for 40 days to pass and sue the chief. Once they get notice of a suit they will promptly process any pending applications that are part of that suit.

Ive been waiting for my LTC in Everett since May and have been involved with this lawsuit. I happened to check January 3rd with the FRB and they said it had been approved. Maybe the phone calls and pressure are finally turning up the heat. Hopefully Ill actually get my hands on the permit soon, but you never know with this PD. Regardless great job everyone for sticking with this and kudos to Comm2a for listening to all of our complaints and helping out.
Me too....May 21st to be exact. Ridiculous aint it?!! I've only checked with them like 4 or 5 times...there's really no good reason for having to check at all. How screwed are we when we finally get our's when it comes to prices? Did the judge just rule for the plaintiffs LTC, or for any other law abiding citizens that may have filed an affadavit with Attorney Guida?

Me too....May 21st to be exact. Ridiculous aint it?!! I've only checked with them like 4 or 5 times...there's really no good reason for having to check at all. How screwed are we when we finally get our's when it comes to prices? Did the judge just rule for the plaintiffs LTC, or for any other law abiding citizens that may have filed an affadavit with Attorney Guida?

Check in with Jason via email and let him know you still haven't gotten your license.

Hi All,

LTC APPLCIATION - Everett Ma

I called 3 times in July, and August to set up an appointment and was never called back.

I called again last week after hearing news of this lawsuit and was called back in less than 2 days.

I was fingerprinted and completed my application at the Everett PD today, 1/16/12

I will let you all know what happens next.

Hi All,

I called 3 times in July, and August to set up an appointment and was never called back.

I called again last week after hearing news of this lawsuit and was called back in less than 2 days.

I was fingerprinted and completed my application at the Everett PD today, 1/16/12

Sounds like the Chief didn't like having the judge give him a boot up his backside. Good.

And a tip of the hat to Attorney Guida, to whom I've given more than his ration of crap.

Hi All,

Awesome, I love it. Hoping all the other towns start to follow.

Awesome, I love it. Hoping all the other towns start to follow.

UPDATE: Please read the following email that I sent today, to Mayor Carlo DeMaria and Michael Capuano.

Good Morning,

On January 16th, 2012, I applied for my Massachusetts License to Carry Class A Permit (LTC) at the Everett Police Department located at 45 Elm St, Everett, MA 02149.

I met with Sergeant Spinelli, was fingerprinted and submitted my application through their computer system. I also paid the $100 fee that is required. Along with this I also included two letters of reference, 2 personal recommendations and all other required documents.

On February 25[SUP]th[/SUP], the 39[SUP]th[/SUP] day since my application was submitted, I contacted the Chelsea Firearms Records Bureau to check on the status of my application. They politely informed me that my application was still being held at the Everett Police Department.

I then called the Everett Police department and requested the status of my LTC application. I was told that I would need to speak with Sergeant Spinelli again and he was unavailable. I asked if I could leave a message for him and was told yes. As I gave my information to the lady on the phone she told me that Sergeant Spinelli had just walked in, and she would give him the phone.

Sergeant Spinelli informed me that he would call me back after he checked the status of my application.

I received a call back from Seageant Spinelli at 11:32am on February 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013. This is where it all went wrong. Seargent Spinelli started by saying “Tommy, you only applied on January 16[SUP]th[/SUP]” to which I responded, “Yes sir, 39 days ago”.

Sergeant Spinelli then changed his tone and became verbally aggressive towards me. I attempted to inform Sergeant Spinelli that the reason for my call was that MGL C.140 S.130 states that “The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing.”

Before I was able to even state the section of MGL I was cut off and told several things that I find concerning. Please see the following quotes below:

“This is Massachusetts; nothing goes as fast as it should”

“I don’t know where you are getting this information”

“I'm tired of people telling me 40 days, it ain't gonna happen"

“This is reality”

At this point, in an attempt to calm Sergeant Spinelli down I stated that I was not laying blame on anyone, simply looking for clarification on the situation. I asked what I should expect and was told the following:

“To go through the system and wait just like everybody else”

This last quote is the most troubling, as it implies that we are simply unable to enforce the very laws that are there to protect us.

I understand that many towns are struggling with budgets, and that things sometimes take more time than anticipated. What I do not accept it being disrespected, cut off, and being told that MGL apparently does not apply to me.

It is my understanding that the Town of Everett, specifically Chief Mazzie, was recently the subject of a lawsuit concerning the very same matter that I am experiencing.

If you could offer some guidance on what my next step should be it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Please read the following email that I sent today, to Mayor Carlo DeMaria and Michael Capuano.

Good Morning,

On January 16th, 2012, I applied for my Massachusetts License to Carry Class A Permit (LTC) at the Everett Police Department located at 45 Elm St, Everett, MA 02149.

I met with Sergeant Spinelli, was fingerprinted and submitted my application through their computer system. I also paid the $100 fee that is required. Along with this I also included two letters of reference, 2 personal recommendations and all other required documents.

On February 25[SUP]th[/SUP], the 39[SUP]th[/SUP] day since my application was submitted, I contacted the Chelsea Firearms Records Bureau to check on the status of my application. They politely informed me that my application was still being held at the Everett Police Department.

I then called the Everett Police department and requested the status of my LTC application. I was told that I would need to speak with Sergeant Spinelli again and he was unavailable. I asked if I could leave a message for him and was told yes. As I gave my information to the lady on the phone she told me that Sergeant Spinelli had just walked in, and she would give him the phone.

Sergeant Spinelli informed me that he would call me back after he checked the status of my application.

I received a call back from Seageant Spinelli at 11:32am on February 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013. This is where it all went wrong. Seargent Spinelli started by saying “Tommy, you only applied on January 16[SUP]th[/SUP]” to which I responded, “Yes sir, 39 days ago”.

Sergeant Spinelli then changed his tone and became verbally aggressive towards me. I attempted to inform Sergeant Spinelli that the reason for my call was that MGL C.140 S.130 states that “The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing.”

Before I was able to even state the section of MGL I was cut off and told several things that I find concerning. Please see the following quotes below:

“This is Massachusetts; nothing goes as fast as it should”

“I don’t know where you are getting this information”

“I'm tired of people telling me 40 days, it ain't gonna happen"

“This is reality”

At this point, in an attempt to calm Sergeant Spinelli down I stated that I was not laying blame on anyone, simply looking for clarification on the situation. I asked what I should expect and was told the following:

“To go through the system and wait just like everybody else”

This last quote is the most troubling, as it implies that we are simply unable to enforce the very laws that are there to protect us.

I understand that many towns are struggling with budgets, and that things sometimes take more time than anticipated. What I do not accept it being disrespected, cut off, and being told that MGL apparently does not apply to me.

It is my understanding that the Town of Everett, specifically Chief Mazzie, was recently the subject of a lawsuit concerning the very same matter that I am experiencing.

If you could offer some guidance on what my next step should be it would be greatly appreciated.

I got into a shouting match with Spinelli over the phone when he accused me of being a liar and threatening him because I informed him another officer told me I should expect to wait at least six months in Everett cause its "more strict" and I left a message saying if I don't get a call back in a day I was just gonna call everyday. I ended up getting my Ltc bout a week later after waiting 7 months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Did you mean "2013" ?

haha oops yes I did mean 2013

- - - Updated - - -

I got into a shouting match with Spinelli over the phone when he accused me of being a liar and threatening him because I informed him another officer told me I should expect to wait at least six months in Everett cause its "more strict" and I left a message saying if I don't get a call back in a day I was just gonna call everyday. I ended up getting my Ltc bout a week later after waiting 7 months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

good to know, I plan on keeping this updated!

Are we there yet?

Does Everett have a Town Meeting? That would be a good chance to call these guys out on wasting the taxpayers' money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom