Comm2A just posted an update on Davis vs. Grimes on Facebook

Yes, it is arbitrary and capricious. But it isn't like it is a mystery as to how it got this way - the MA Legislature passed a law that provides chiefs with this "discretion." Is it wrong and immoral? Of course. But that, and $4.50, will get me a latte.

As bad as MA is, and it is indeed bad, I've had a carry license in MA for ~20 years. I grew up in IL and until recently no one in IL could get a carry license. So, is MA better or worse than IL used to be? I guess that's a matter of perspective - both suck, but in different ways.

And even though i have no problem getting a ccw i will continue to give to comm2a for those that cant get a ccw in their town/city.

It is easy to think you don't have a personal problem until your chief retires and someone with a Brookline like agenda takes over, or you get into a legal bind, are exonerated, and then find you cannot get your LTC back because "despite the not guilty finding, evidence of guilt still exists".

It is easy to think you don't have a personal problem until your chief retires and someone with a Brookline like agenda takes over, or you get into a legal bind, are exonerated, and then find you cannot get your LTC back because "despite the not guilty finding, evidence of guilt still exists".

No argument there.

View attachment 103990
This is weymouth a written policy on issuing LTC's seems clear that regardless if it's a new or renewal if you can't document a "need" you get restricted.

You could easily sue Weymouth on the fact that they don't accept cash.... oh wait there it is on the dollar bill "This note is legal tender for all depts, public and private.* except for weymouth PD"

Where is this one at?

Not sure how you found this old thread on the case to bump when there was one with activity the day you posted: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/214847-Davis-v-Grimes/

Peabody granted unrestricted LTCs to the plaintiffs in this case and Comm2A rounded up some more restricted LTC holders to add to keep the case alive.
Prior to that, there was a hearing in May and a ruling will come eventually, probably sometime next year.

Not sure how you found this old thread on the case to bump when there was one with activity the day you posted: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/214847-Davis-v-Grimes/

Peabody granted unrestricted LTCs to the plaintiffs in this case and Comm2A rounded up some more restricted LTC holders to add to keep the case alive.
Prior to that, there was a hearing in May and a ruling will come eventually, probably sometime next year.

Must have been the search, confusing the two. Maybe a moderator can merge them.

You could easily sue Weymouth on the fact that they don't accept cash.... oh wait there it is on the dollar bill "This note is legal tender for all depts, public and private.* except for weymouth PD"

Or Waltham. Or lots of other towns.

There's lots and lots of things you can't pay for in cash, so that doesn't seem like a strong case.

There's lots and lots of things you can't pay for in cash, so that doesn't seem like a strong case.

It is not ok for an Gov agency to refuse cash.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

Although I understand the legal issue of not accepting cash, history has shown that cash tends to disappear or get "diluted" and therefore having traceability and less possibility for internal theft was a wise business decision. It would not surprise me if the annual audit by DOR of municipal finances dictated this as a policy or recommendation. [MA doesn't recognize Fed Law/Constitution/USSC rulings and DOR is mostly made up of intellectually challenged thieves of a different sort, so I would not be surprised if my SWAG is true.]

Although I understand the legal issue of not accepting cash, history has shown that cash tends to disappear or get "diluted" and therefore having traceability and less possibility for internal theft was a wise business decision. It would not surprise me if the annual audit by DOR of municipal finances dictated this as a policy or recommendation. [MA doesn't recognize Fed Law/Constitution/USSC rulings and DOR is mostly made up of intellectually challenged thieves of a different sort, so I would not be surprised if my SWAG is true.]

So we need to worry about cash being 'diluted' in police stations? WTF. Aren't these the citizens charged with upholding the law and preventing 'dilution'?

Sickening.

So we need to worry about cash being 'diluted' in police stations? WTF. Aren't these the citizens charged with upholding the law and preventing 'dilution'?

Sickening.

Sometimes its not just dilution but its also putting the cash in a desk and throwing the desk away. (yes this actually happened in some town in MA, IIRC...)

-Mike

It is pretty retarded to not accept cash for small things if they're not taking plastic or an e-payment of some kind as an alternative. Hell I know a bunch of people younger than I am who couldn't even write me a check if they wanted to, they do everything electronically.

-Mike

then there are the PD's that don't take anything less than a Bank Certified Check or a Postal Money Order......a nice way to make things as inconvenient as possible.

It is not ok for an Gov agency to refuse cash.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

Oh, I didn't say it was OK, just that it wasn't uncommon.

It is pretty retarded to not accept cash for small things if they're not taking plastic or an e-payment of some kind as an alternative. Hell I know a bunch of people younger than I am who couldn't even write me a check if they wanted to, they do everything electronically.

I bought our old family boat from my brother for $1. I went to do something at the office where you do that (Fisheries and Wildlife?). I had to pay the tax on the dollar. It was 5 cents. I could NOT give them a nickel, and had to drive home to get my checkbook. Of course, it was the end of the day, and it now took me another trip and another day and another 45 minutes to do a simple nickel transaction in order to get a boat registration.

Back
Top Bottom