• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A Joins the Fight for Range Access

Comm2A

Director Comm2a
Dealer
NES Member
The Danger of Range Closures

This is a little different from what we normally do, but we think it's important to send a message. These fights can be won as long as clubs are not intimidated by those who want to shut them down. Towns like Westminster and Granby have limited resources and as long as clubs aren't forced to stand alone, they can win. The law is on their side and most towns grossly underestimate the costs when a club doesn't go quietly. We want these towns to know that small clubs are not pushovers.

A "How to react when NIMBYs try to shut you down" info packet for clubs would go a long way to helping them oppose this nonsense.
As it stands, most clubs fumble around due to not knowing laws and being able to forcibly respond.
A form letter and roadmap to follow may be proactive ways to shorten the fight and minimize legal expenses.

Whenever I get caught up enough on bills to send something to Monadnock Rod & Gun, I'll also send something to Comm2A again. I think last time I donated was last October.

Babies are expensive, by the way, for yall's that don't know. ;)

A "How to react when NIMBYs try to shut you down" info packet for clubs would go a long way to helping them oppose this nonsense.
As it stands, most clubs fumble around due to not knowing laws and being able to forcibly respond.
A form letter and roadmap to follow may be proactive ways to shorten the fight and minimize legal expenses.
This^^^

It would be nice that if these clubs win with facts and have the law on their side, they could be awarded damages from the accusers to cover costs.

Not in a Mass Courtroom, not possible. They'd have to sue for damages separately and it is a tough win in Mass.

An excellent idea. GOAL or Comm2A should work on doing this and send it to every club in the state.

I saw the Comm2A message and am very proud of their action, especially helping MR&GC since the club isn't in Mass and Comm2A is a Mass org. Very glad to be a monthly donor to Comm2A. Keep up the good fight!

All of this is very true. Clubs with only a couple hundred members don't alway know where to turn when confronted with this kind of challenge and can easily be run over by small-town officials. Sometimes it's NIMBYS, sometimes it's anits, and sometimes it's just some guy with 40 acres of prime residentially zoned real estate. Too bad. In almost every case, if a club is operating safely and respecting wetlands and other sensitive environments, the law is CLEARLY on our side.

The good news is that most of these small towns don't have the stomach or resources for a real fight. Municipal liability policies might cover lawsuits against police officers, but they're not likely to cover the cost of litigation designed to stop a lawful activity. Those legal bills can easily force a town to start laying off and employee or two. And if you're a selectman in that town, that's a real good way to not get yourself re-elected. If we work together, we can easily outspend these small towns.

These three clubs are not the only ones with this problem. However, others are trying (perhaps in vain) to resolve noise and zoning 'issues' quietly and without making waves in their communities. I won't argue with success if they achieve acceptable outcomes. But I'm not optimistic that it's a winning strategy. We really want officials in other towns to look at Westminster and Granby and understand that it will cost them to try and shut down a club without a REALLY good legal justification. This is about sending a message.

Got the email as well.

I know you vote on these matters so I would like to thank whoever put it up for a vote. I hope it was unanimous. [kiss]

Not in a Mass Courtroom, not possible. They'd have to sue for damages separately and it is a tough win in Mass.

If they file a motion to dismiss under the Anti-Slapp statute, they can collect damages, but I don't know any Mass judges that would award damages to a dangerous gun owner.

I would like to see Legislation that grandfathers Gun Clubs from prosecution by Placing them on a New Type of Historic Site Registry
that protects the Act of Marksmanship Training and Perfection, and the locations where it is conducted as a Constitutional Historical Site.

Nevermore should a lawful Gun Club or Shooting Sports Venue be harassed, truncated or closed by neighbors, townships or Governments.

~Matt

If they file a motion to dismiss under the Anti-Slapp statute, they can collect damages, but I don't know any Mass judges that would award damages to a dangerous gun owner.

My point exactly. Not that it is illegal, but that the Marsupials won't allow it.

Back
Top Bottom