Comm2A Fundraiser: Steel Challenge (SCSA) @ New Bedford 1/5/2013

No food is available on the range. Plan accordingly.
We usually wrap up steel challenge matches between 12 and 1, so generally it's not a big deal to grab something after.
However, it seems like we may get a large turnout on saturday, so you may want to plan ahead and bring lunch.

Steve

Thanks for the warning.

Ugh. I'd been looking forward to this for weeks, but when I woke up this morning, the cold I've been fighting for the past week is the worst it's been. Being outside in the cold all day seems like a really bad idea. I'm adding my match fee to my monthly donation and going back to bed. Good luck everyone.

I was planning on attendin and shooting stock rimfire pistol or whatever you call it. late last night I pulled the trusty Ruger MKII out of the safe and lubed 'er up but whilst cycling the bolt I noticed something was loose in the mainspring assembly. I flipped up the locking lever and mainspring and then pulled down on the bolt pin and boy did it come out easily...or at least most of it did [sad2][angry][angry][angry][angry][crying]. not enough ammo for the other guns and not enough time to roll some so I'll be just sending a donation to Comm2A instead. hope everyone had a good time!

bustedMk2.jpg

I was planning on attendin and shooting stock rimfire pistol or whatever you call it. late last night I pulled the trusty Ruger MKII out of the safe and lubed 'er up but whilst cycling the bolt I noticed something was loose in the mainspring assembly. I flipped up the locking lever and mainspring and then pulled down on the bolt pin and boy did it come out easily...or at least most of it did [sad2][angry][angry][angry][angry][crying]. not enough ammo for the other guns and not enough time to roll some so I'll be just sending a donation to Comm2A instead. hope everyone had a good time!

bustedMk2.jpg

Well that sucks. You could have borrowed a gun or even a whole holster rig.
I had a blast, and the weather was quite pleasant for January in New England !

My boys went through 500 rounds of .22 mini-mags and I had to beg for a few more from one of my squad mates. (Thanks for that.) I went through quite a bit of .40 and .45 too. Oh, and a single round of 50 cal. Woo Hoo! Good times.

Boys are anxious for the results to see who gets bragging rights. :)

We had a great time and will look forward to the next!

Another great day of shooting steel. Thanks to David and the New Bedford crew for setting up the match. Also thank you to Rob for bringing the Serbu 50. (hope he's feeling better soon) I managed to get in two shots on it between stages. My sister even took one shot too. It was good talking with Brent for a bit about Comm2A. Seeing the grey plates on white background was a challenge especially on the pendulum stage.

When is the next one?

It was an awesome day for my first steel shooting. And I think I got a bunch of extra shooting time since the blue box kept not registering my runs. :)

Absolutely want to shout out to Jason who was our fearless leader, and everyone else who started on Stage 4!

it was an awesome day! and I was paired with an awesome group of people. I also want to thank Steve for posting that awesome picture of me haha face is very serious and a amazing shot of the gun cycling. Cant want to see the results online

That is just plain awesome! you just made my day! the hd cam I brought with me had batt trouble so I'm very glad there is some action shots you are the man!

Last edited:
Great shooting Chuck!

Results are posted:
NorthEastSection (text file): http://www.uspsa-ne.org/results/20130105_newbedford.txt
New Bedford site (pdf file ): http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/results/2013_Jan_Steel_Challenge.pdf

Thanks to everyone for coming out an enjoying the fabulous January weather (low 40's, no wind and bright sunshine)! Special thanks to the committee members who make this happen: Gary, Chuck, Jason, John, Jay, Ward, Steve and Travis. And thanks to Brent and Rob for helping a bunch of folks send those .50's down range!

Saw looks of folks taking pictures, keep sharing them, they look great.

Next match at New Bedford will be a Steel Challenge match on March 24, 2013.

Well that sucks. You could have borrowed a gun or even a whole holster rig.
I had a blast, and the weather was quite pleasant for January in New England !

Thanks Sean...I knew one of you find gents would have something I could use but my wife was already not happy with me heading down so that factored in as well [hmmm]. thankfully Ruger has replacement pins in stock; you'd think the thing would last more than 27yrs!!

good pics, keep em coming! if you have a ton to get through I highly recommend checking out Adobe Lightroom. I think they have a trial version and once you use it you'll want to drop the $75 for it, saved me hundreds of hours of sorting/editing/exporting when I was doing a lot of event photography.

that fiddy cal look like a blast, bummed that I missed that [sad]

THANK YOU Everyone!!!!!!

We want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone that was able to join us yesterday. It was a fun day and it was great to see a LOT of new supporters and competitors - hopefully we'll see these folks back on the SC and USPSA ranges in the spring. The day was a huge success for Comm2A in every way.

A very special debt of graduate goes out to Dave Bold and the entire New Bedford crew. Not only have the mastered the match running business, they have been long-term Comm2A supporters. This match is a good example of the kinds of things we just would not be able to put together on our own and why support of the shooting community is so vital.

Thank you again everyone.

We will have to arrange a private shoot for you then.

[thumbsup] sorry I missed the event Rob, I just sent over the money I had planned on spending via PayPal. AND I got the bonus of being able to enter the AR lower Karma (go check the members forum if you don't know of what I speak).

I think you guys should have a table setup at EVERY USPSA/IDPA/SCCA match in the area this season, I'm sure most people would have no problem tossing a few bucks in the bucket at each event!

Fantastic shoot yesterday; Luv2bFree and I had a great time. Well run, with firepits in 5 of the 6 stations. The usual batch of friendly gunnies to hang out with and chat with while we weren't shooting. New Bedford did a great job - again! We'll be back for more.

I was planning on attendin and shooting stock rimfire pistol or whatever you call it.
I wish you'd come - I brought my Mark II with me just in case I needed a backup or someone else did; I shot my CZ75 all day, though, so the Ruger stayed in the car... all alone and unloved.

This was my first Steel Challenge match, and I had a great time. Thanks to RGNB & Comm2A for putting it on, and extra thanks to my squad mates who helped reload mags for me. I had a few good runs, but some were quite embarrasing. Never having done any action pistol shooting before, it really opened my eyes to some things that I need to work on that I can't do at the indoor range at my club. I think I'll be springing for a membership at RGNB this year, and look forward to more events like this!

I wish you'd come - I brought my Mark II with me just in case I needed a backup or someone else did; I shot my CZ75 all day, though, so the Ruger stayed in the car... all alone and unloved.

mine must have felt the same way sitting in the safe and decided to fall to pieces! appreciate the offer, I knew there's be a lot of good folk willing to let me borrow gear and already I have two replies proving it. another great thing about the shooting community and NES in particular - so many good people willing to step up and help. I always forget to hit the REP button, I think I'll do some of that now...

Back
Top Bottom