Comm2A Fundraiser: Steel Challenge (SCSA) @ New Bedford 1/5/2013

Would love a chance to shoot the .50BMG as well! What are the details on that fundraiser? Cash is tight right now, but if I can swing it I'd like to do both for a good cause!

Is this on rain or shine? Current forecast isn't looking friendly.

It wouldn't be a match at New Bedford without some kind of foul weather! Barring a major blizzard or something, the match will run even if it's snowing a bit. But always a good idea to check the club's website (and here) for any potential updates or cancellations (this is good advice for any match at any range).

Well, just one week to go. We get to start out 2013 raising funds for a great organization, and get to have fun putting rounds down-range to do it!

Steel Challenge is fun for all skill levels. If you've never tried any type of 'action pistol' sport before, this is a great way to start. The game is simple to understand, rules are basic and easy to follow, the courses of fire are straight forward. You don't need a lot of extra equipment, just your gun, a holster (for center-fire handgun divisions only), ammo and some extra magazines. There's no running around, just stand there and shoot as fast as you can hit the steel.

And for those 'seasoned' shooters out there who've not tried Steel Challenge - what are you waiting for?

Here's that YouTube from Ruger on Steel Challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RXNo4gEyk

Hoping to see a great turn out to support Comm2A.

PS: And don't forget to bring some extra $$$ to play with the .50 cal!

PPS: If you don't have a holster, don't let that stop you from playing, you will be allowed to start at the 'low-ready' position with a small penalty added to your run.

Fundraiser details:

1. Match fee $30, with all profits going to Comm2A.

2. 50Cal - $10/round. $3.00 for the ammo (that's what I paid per round at the last gun show), $7 to Comm2A. Optional, and no charge to enjoy the noise while other shoot :).

Also, the Steel Challege Shooting Association just released a classification system (www.steelchallenge.com). and some of the stages at this match (the ones where the pits allow the measurements to match the official standard for classification) will count if you are an SCSA member.
'

Last edited:
Fundraiser details:

1. Match fee $30, with all profits going to Comm2A.

2. 50Cal - $10/round. $3.00 for the ammo (that's what I paid per round at the last gun show), $7 to nomm2A. Optional, and no charge to enjoy the noise while other shoot :).

Also, the Steel Challege Shooting Association just released a classification system (www.steelchallenge.com). and some of the stages at this match (the ones where the pits allow the measurements to match the official standard for classification) will count if you are an SCSA member.
'
We'll be accepting credit cards for the 50cal shooting.

Random question.... But what's the max caliber that can be shot in the steel challenge match? Is 44 mag good to go? And if so can two guns be run with two entry fees in production class and one in limited?

From the rules:

4.1 Ammunition:
All ammunition used in competition must be safe, serviceable and appropriate for the firearm being used.

4.1.1: Minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions (38 Special 9X19).
4.1.2: Rimfire firearms must be .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) only. No powderless cases.
4.1.3: No multiple-projectile or magnum loads allowed.
4.1.4: Any ammunition deemed unsafe or likely to damage the targets will be removed from use.

.44 Mag is a bit much, and depending on the bullet and velocity, might damage the targets, which would result in removal from the match. I suggest something a little lighter (maybe lead bullets in .44 Special if you want).

And we'll only be running single entry for this match, choose the one you want to shoot the most.

If anyone who's coming to this event happens to have a couple extra mags for a full size XD9 that they could bring, I'd be very greatful. I only have 3 right now, and have ordered a couple more, but it doesn't look like they'll be here in time. [thinking]

The facilities are in good shape from the snow storm this past weekend. The roadway, parking areas and range walkways were nicely cleared. All shooting areas have been cleared of snow as well. Also working on some 'warming' stations (ie, small camp-fire type) for when you need to thaw out a bit.

Fingers crossed for the weather!

Just found this thread today. I'm gonna try to get my boys off their video games and out to the range for this. I only have 2 mags for each weapon (and no hope of getting more before Saturday), but it sounds like we can still participate. Looking forward to it.

Just found this thread today. I'm gonna try to get my boys off their video games and out to the range for this. I only have 2 mags for each weapon (and no hope of getting more before Saturday), but it sounds like we can still participate. Looking forward to it.

What kind of guns do you need mags for? Maybe I or somebody else here can bring some for you to borrow. It will keep everything moving along, and you wont be rushed with trying to reload mags in-between strings

egouin, what magazine type do you need? Maybe someone has an extra to help? Worst case, I can help reload for you :)

What kind of guns do you need mags for? Maybe I or somebody else here can bring some for you to borrow. It will keep everything moving along, and you wont be rushed with trying to reload mags in-between strings

egouin, what magazine type do you need? Maybe someone has an extra to help? Worst case, I can help reload for you :)

A few options... M&P .45 full size, M&P .40S&W compact, M&P 9mm full size, Walther P22. (and thanks for the offer to help, guys.)

If you're short a mag or two your squad mates might help you out loading mags between strings. Just ask nicely.

Steel Challenge is very competitive on one end of the spectrum, but also very accommodating on the other. It's an ideal forum for getting your feet wet.

I'm very much looking forward to Saturday and only sorry that I probably won't have time to shoot. But I do look forward to meeting everyone and talking more about Comm2A.

I'll help reload mags for anyone who's short in exchange for the same. I'm in the same boat with 3 mags unless someone has a couple extra XD9 mags they can loan me... Really excited about trying this out for the first time and getting cold with everyone! [smile]

Steel Challenge is very competitive on one end of the spectrum, but also very accommodating on the other. It's an ideal forum for getting your feet wet.
It's also a metric bitchload of fun. [smile]
I can bring M&P 9mm mags. My name is Sean, look around for me
I think Sean's mission in life is to help out folks who are short on magazines - he loaned me a bunch of 1911 mags at Walls of Steel last summer!

I'll have my CZ75 with me this weekend; I will also have a couple of spare 10 round mags for it with me if anyone shoots a CZ.

I have 3 m&p compact 40 mags that some one can use, also h&k usp 9mm mags i think 3 and two glock 21 mags (i have others but will only bring ten rounders in fear of the law)
I will be using my P220 Sig .45 Match elite that i used last time. I bought a m&p pro 9mm to use but the ten rounders haven't come in yet nor do i have a holster... next time.... let me know if any of these will help

I don't have a lot of mags, but I will bring all that I have. If there is a good turnout and we all share, or help, we will all be fine. BTW - took my 10 year old out to practice with my 9mm today. Oh boy, it is gonna be cold out there. Wear your long underwear. Getting the pistol out of the holster (under several layers) is a challenge as is trying to load a magazine with gloves on.

Question for organizers... what do you guys do for food?

No food is available on the range. Plan accordingly.
We usually wrap up steel challenge matches between 12 and 1, so generally it's not a big deal to grab something after.
However, it seems like we may get a large turnout on saturday, so you may want to plan ahead and bring lunch.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom