Comm2A Fundraiser: Steel Challenge (SCSA) @ New Bedford 1/5/2013

The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford is proud and excited to sponsor a fundraising event to benefit Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A). Since there's not much action pistol shooting opportunities during the winter, we figure a six-stage Steel Challenge match in January would be some good fun and we'll be supporting a great organization at the same time. None of the stages require movement so even if we have snow on the ground, we won't be running around on it.

In addition to the Steel Challenge match, there will a side fundraising event where folks can shoot a .50 BMG (courtesy of Rob Boudrie).

Commonwealth Second Amendment, aka Comm2A (http://www.comm2a.com) is a grassroots civil rights organization dedicated to promoting a better understanding of rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Activities include educational programs designed to promote a better understanding of Massachusetts and Federal firearms laws and rights as well as programs to defend and protect the civil rights of Massachusetts gun owners.

Comm2A is a non-profit public charity organized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code. Contributions made to Comm2A are fully tax deductible.

What: Steel Challenge (SCSA) - 6 stages
Where: Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford (www.rodgun-nb.org) in Dartmouth, MA
When: Saturday, January 5, 2013
Time: 9:30am start (registration begins at 9am; no pre-registration prior to the match)
Match fee: $30 (Juniors $20)

The match fee is a bit more than normal but it is a fundraiser after all and all proceeds will benefit Comm2A (www.comm2a.com).

The planned stages are:
-----------------------------
Roundabout
Speed Option (modified)
Five to Go (modified)
Smoke & Hope
Accelerator
New Bedford Special

Additional details:
----------------------
Only one entry per shooter, no multiple entries.

Steel Challenge info can be found here: http://steelchallenge.com/

Info and directions to the club are here: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Many, MANY different divisions to choose from:
Center Fire - Open
Center Fire - Iron Sights
Center Fire - Production
Revolver - Open
Revolver - Iron Sights
Revolver - Cowboy Single Action
Rimfire Pistol - Open
Rimfire Pistol - Iron Sights
Rimfire Rifle - Open
Rimfire Rifle - Iron Sights
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Open
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Iron Sights

Minimum caliber for Center Fire divisions is 9x19 / .38 Special. Rimfire division must be .22LR only. No armor piercing or tracer ammo allowed.

Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle and Pistol Caliber Carbine start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will just be assessed a small time penalty per run to make up for it.

Steel Challenge is lots of fun, involves very little or no movement, great for new shooters and kids (as long as they are safe and have good gun handling skills - parent or guardian must be present). Shooters of all skill levels will enjoy this sport, from the most basic novice to the most experienced grand masters. New shooters welcome, as are spectators. Everyone on the range must wear eye and ear protection at ALL TIMES.

The match runs with a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.

Gun handling at Safe tables only (can NOT handle ammo at the safe tables) and must be brought to the firing line unloaded and in a holster or case (for rifles, must be muzzle up with empty chamber flag installed)

Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.

Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun.

Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.

Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.

If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds.

New shooters welcome. If you've not participated in an action shooting event in the past, please ask lots of questions along the way. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time.

BTW, here's the announcement on the club's website:
an announcement PDF, posted on my club's website: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/schedules/Steel Challenge_2013_Comm2A.pdf

I would like to commit but I will have to wait to see what that weekend ends up being like for me. I have never shot at New Bedford and would like to visit there. Of course the benefit to COMM2A is the draw.

Hmm... January. Cold... snowy... what better way to keep warm than with a warm gun? Sounds like fun. Pending the unforeseen, I'll be there. Now that my CZ75 has been worked over by Dave Santurri, it should make it through the match without choking!

Hey, good idea. Maybe I'll try and drag a friend or two along.

How late in the day do these events usually last? I'd love to come and try my hand at it for the first time, but already have plans in the afternoon. Thanks!

How late in the day do these events usually last? I'd love to come and try my hand at it for the first time, but already have plans in the afternoon. Thanks!

It really depends on the turnout. This past Saturday we were done between 12 and 12:30pm. Other times it's been an hour or two later. I would guess somewhere between 1 and 2pm-ish.

How would a complete newbie be treated? I don't have anywhere to practice and I read the rules, nothing too complicated but might get nervous the first time and something wrong....

Or it's not advisable to attend without extensive practicing first?

How would a complete newbie be treated? I don't have anywhere to practice and I read the rules, nothing too complicated but might get nervous the first time and something wrong....

Most important is to be SAFE. Understand and practice safe firearm handling. Obey the range rules.

Then go shoot some steel and have fun. The RO's and other shooters will help you out.

New shooters are always welcome. As long as you keep safety in mind (the action shooting sports, like Steel Challenge, have very strict safety rules about handling and muzzle discipline - but they are easily navigated by just asking questions as you go along), you'll be welcomed by everyone. There are plenty of people who are more than willing to help you along, answer questions, give tips, etc. If you haven't seen it yet, check out this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RXNo4gEyk

Hope we see you on 1/5/13.

Last edited:
CT Steel Shooters are in! Which means a very cool / cold New Bedford Movie :) Kivas getting a new camera for x-mass.
Happy Holidays Shooters!

Probably like a welcome newcomer. We all started sometime... just take your time and don't try to pretend you're Jerry Miculek (unless you really ARE him trolling, that is!). Work on safely shooting rather than worrying about speed.

Thanks guys, will consider. I have SR22 pistol, not a sharpshooter by any means, but may be able to hit a couple :)

Bring 5 magazines, if you can! If you don't have them, let me know and I'll be sure to bring my Ruger Mark II; I've got plenty of mags for it.

Head over to the rifle range, shoot the fifty, and put the hot brass in your pocket :)
Heh...

Ooh, 5 might be a problem... I have 5 mags for my rifle though...

Come to the match. I don't know if I will be able to shoot by then or not but will gladly meet you there with a Ruger MK III and 6 mags and will spend the day with you.

You will find the New Bedford staff to be a great bunch and will be a lot of help. I know a little about the sport and can at least get you through your first day.

E mail is in my profile.

I'll be there. Steel is fun and Comm2A does great work that needs our support. Will you be painting steel something other than white if there's snow on the ground?

*Whew!*

That was a narrow escape. I had the strangest feeling I was forgetting something for this day... and then it hit me. One of my Lodge brothers just sent me a wedding invitation for Jan 5!!!

Fortunately, he's getting married at 6 PM. I have time to stop at home and get my shotgun for the wedding.

I'll be there. Steel is fun and Comm2A does great work that needs our support. Will you be painting steel something other than white if there's snow on the ground?

Last match there was a light rain so we didn't paint...we did have snow on the berms at the outset so for the first few shooters it was tough with the white paint and the white snow bank...then once the plates got shot up a bit it was fine. I suppose if there is snow on the ground we could consider not painting - it would move things along quicker if there is a huge crowd.

We also hung a couple of USPSA targets (tan side) behind some of the plates to assist with being able to see them...

Come to the match. I don't know if I will be able to shoot by then or not but will gladly meet you there with a Ruger MK III and 6 mags and will spend the day with you.

You will find the New Bedford staff to be a great bunch and will be a lot of help. I know a little about the sport and can at least get you through your first day.

E mail is in my profile.

Guys, thank you for your generous offers, I would love to come and meet great people, but unfortunately I will not be able to make it that day :sad:

Have fun!

Is there a total round count and a round per stage count? Trying to figure out my mag situation. Thanks

Is there a total round count and a round per stage count? Trying to figure out my mag situation. Thanks

Each steel challenge stage has 5 targets. You shoot 5 runs on each stage. So, if you never miss, you need 5*5*6 = 150 rounds. I like to bring 5 10 round mags to the line. If you have less than that, you'll need to ask someone on your squad to refill a mag or two for you.

Also, if anyone waiting on an LTC renewal from Everett wants to shoot this match, you're welcome to shoot one of my 22s, ammo on me.

Each steel challenge stage has 5 targets. You shoot 5 runs on each stage. So, if you never miss, you need 5*5*6 = 150 rounds. I like to bring 5 10 round mags to the line. If you have less than that, you'll need to ask someone on your squad to refill a mag or two for you.

Thanks. Haven't gotten a chance to check out equipment rules and stages yet. I have 5 mags, 3@15 rds and 2@10 rds.

Thanks for the links. Will check them out over the next couple of days. Scanned through them a bit at lunch today. Kinda wish I live closer to NB R&G, sounds like a great club. Can't wait to check it out, should be a good time. As long as the weather holds out and I don't have to work, I will be there.

Thanks for the links. Will check them out over the next couple of days. Scanned through them a bit at lunch today. Kinda wish I live closer to NB R&G, sounds like a great club. Can't wait to check it out, should be a good time. As long as the weather holds out and I don't have to work, I will be there.

The club has a history of holding some great matches on days that are plagued with awful weather! That being said, I'll be there rain or shine. Or should I say monsoon or blizzard!

The weather wouldn't bother me, no different than duck hunting. But I take care of an elderly apartment complex, so I have to keep the place safe for the residents.

Back
Top Bottom