• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A Fundraiser: Steel Challenge (SCSA) @ New Bedford 1/4/2014

The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford is proud and excited to sponsor a fundraising event to benefit Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A). Since there's not much action pistol shooting opportunities during the winter, we figure a six-stage Steel Challenge match in January would be some good fun and we'll be supporting a great organization at the same time. None of the stages require movement so even if we have snow on the ground, we won't be running around on it.

Commonwealth Second Amendment, aka Comm2A (http://www.comm2a.com) is a grassroots civil rights organization dedicated to promoting a better understanding of rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Activities include educational programs designed to promote a better understanding of Massachusetts and Federal firearms laws and rights as well as programs to defend and protect the civil rights of Massachusetts gun owners.

Comm2A is a non-profit public charity organized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code. Contributions made to Comm2A are fully tax deductible.

What: Steel Challenge (SCSA) - 6 stages
Where: Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford (www.rodgun-nb.org) in Dartmouth, MA
When: Saturday, January 4, 2014
Time: 9:30am start (registration begins at 8:30am; no pre-registration prior to the match)
Match fee: $30 (Juniors $20)

The match fee is a bit more than normal but it is a fundraiser after all and all proceeds will benefit Comm2A (www.comm2a.com).

Additional details:
----------------------
Only one entry per shooter, no multiple entries.

Steel Challenge info can be found here: http://steelchallenge.com/

Info and directions to the club are here: http://www.rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Many, MANY different divisions to choose from:
Center Fire - Open
Center Fire - Iron Sights
Center Fire - Production
Revolver - Open
Revolver - Iron Sights
Revolver - Cowboy Single Action
Rimfire Pistol - Open
Rimfire Pistol - Iron Sights
Rimfire Rifle - Open
Rimfire Rifle - Iron Sights
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Open
Pistol Caliber Carbine - Iron Sights

Minimum caliber for Center Fire divisions is 9x19 / .38 Special. Rimfire division must be .22LR only. No armor piercing or tracer ammo allowed.

Rimfire pistol, Rimfire rifle and Pistol Caliber Carbine start from the low-ready. All other divisions start from a holster. If you don’t have a holster, you can still play, you will just be assessed a small time penalty per run to make up for it.

Steel Challenge is lots of fun, involves very little or no movement, great for new shooters and kids (as long as they are safe and have good gun handling skills - parent or guardian must be present). Shooters of all skill levels will enjoy this sport, from the most basic novice to the most experienced grand masters. New shooters welcome, as are spectators. Everyone on the range must wear eye and ear protection at ALL TIMES.

The match runs with a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.

Gun handling at Safe tables only (can NOT handle ammo at the safe tables) and must be brought to the firing line unloaded and in a holster or case (for rifles, must be muzzle up with empty chamber flag installed)

Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.

Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun.

Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.

Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.

If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds.

New shooters welcome. If you've not participated in an action shooting event in the past, please ask lots of questions along the way. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable time.

If you haven't seen Steel Challenge yet, check out this YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RXNo4gEyk

BTW, here's the announcement on the club's website:
http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/schedules/Steel Challenge_2014_Comm2A.pdf

Please provide a minimum round count so I can estimate how much ammo to bring if I am available.

Six Stages, Five Runs each stage, 10 rounds per magazine, 300 minimum rounds? Sjan points out": 5 targets, not 10, so, adjust accordingly.

I did this last year and I think, because it was my first time and the timers had trouble picking up the 15-22, I used closer to 450 rounds.

Last edited:
6 stages x 5 targets x 5 strings
or
6 stages x 25 rounds minimum per stage

150 absolute minimum round count. That means if you never miss, and you run your last mag dry on the last stage, you will fire 150 rounds. For most shooters 200 rounds will be cutting it close, 250 is a safer bet. Like mentioned above, re-shoots if necessary, will run up your round count as well.

This looks very fun, especially after watching that youtube video. I have been looking for a way to get into competitive shooting and this seems like a good "first event". My only worry is that it is in the middle of winter so it will be freezing, and not too many people will be there.

I have 3 10rd magazines and a basic hip holster, any tips for a 1st timer?

Last edited:
This looks very fun, especially after watching that youtube video. I have been looking for a way to get into competitive shooting and this seems like a good "first event". My only worry is that it is in the middle of winter so it will be freezing, and not too many people will be there. I have 3 10rd magazines and a basic hip holster, any tips for a 1st timer?

I went to this last winter and it started chilly but then warmed up. They also had some mall fires going to help out.

Unless it's below freezing or snowing I plan on being there.

What are you planning on shooting? Five magazines will definitely help things from getting bogged down but it can be done with three.

My tips
Go to have fun, not be fast. Fast will come with experience.
Be aware of safety so everyone can focus on having fun.
Watch other people, see what works, maybe it will work for you!
Ask questions, about how people do stuff, what they use, what's their favorite color, whatever you want. :)

This looks very fun, especially after watching that youtube video. I have been looking for a way to get into competitive shooting and this seems like a good "first event". My only worry is that it is in the middle of winter so it will be freezing, and not too many people will be there.

It is very fun, and it really is a great way to get started in competitive shooting. My first match was a steel challange at New Bedford.
Cold alone won't keep people home. Expect to see a large turnout unless it is snowing or raining.
5 magazines is ideal, post what gun you are shooting and try to find somebody to loan you a few extras. Worst case will be to have someone help out by loading up your mags between strings.

this definitely looks like fun. We just show up to register right?
Any limitation of what i can use for a mag holder on my belt?
for 1911s is it ok to use a mix from 10rounders and 8s? I only have two 10s the rest are 8.

What are you planning on shooting? Five magazines will definitely help things from getting bogged down but it can be done with three.

I only have a P250 compact 9mm (besides my tiny P938) - not the best "speed shooter" with the long DA trigger, but it's very accurate. I have 3 mags and I'm not sure I could even find 2 more by then, even if I wanted to pay the $100....

Last January was my first match. Cold but fun and did warm up. Think there were 50+ shooters! Will be there unless it snows and I have to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have a P250 compact 9mm (besides my tiny P938) - not the best "speed shooter" with the long DA trigger, but it's very accurate. I have 3 mags and I'm not sure I could even find 2 more by then, even if I wanted to pay the $100....

Blah, I don't have mags for that, but your squad can help by reloading while your shooting. Just make sure to mention it.

Signups and registration is handled the morning of the match. Figure a minimum round count of 150, bring at least 250 (I usually bring more, it's easy to bring the extra back home afterwards, much better than running out before the end of the match).

Yeah, I always bring a spare gun and ammo for that too. The one match I didn't, a friend's M&P had troubles and she couldn't finish the shoot.

Do these matches usually have prizes, or do people "compete" just to have a good time?

Prize structure is as follows:
1: Money donated to a great cause
2: Fun and camaraderie with like-minded people
3: Triggertime during a slow time of year for a lot

Also, the calendar on their website lists it on 1/5, which is Sunday and looks to be warmer out.

1/5Sunday7:00am Air Pistol
9:30am Action Pistol - Steel Challenge

And 1/4 at the link...idk

We start the year off with a fundraiser to benefit Commonwealth Second Amendment with a special Steel Challenge match on January 4,

Maybe something going on both days.

Last edited:
We were wondering what your plans were for the weather. Do you have a plow or should we wear skis and or snow shoes. If the show is on we are there, it was great last year.

Back
Top Bottom