• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coming Soon to a Range Near Me...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
.315 round balls came today. Perfect fit to seal the chamber. Chambers are clear as are the nipples. Ready to rock and roll....maybe TH afternoon....tomorrow I go appeal my LTC denial in RI.

"Denial" is also a river in Egypt...which is where I think they're from.

t
IMG_8637.jpg IMG_8638.jpg IMG_8641.jpg

Last edited:
Now to find my black powder kit....haven't used it in 2 years. Maybe I can rig up something special. Was going to use my .380 Colt yesterday, but this could be interesting....

t
IMG_8623.jpg

Found my kit...reminds me I'm late in renewing my powder permit. I do have bore-butter; but as the balls are the correct size to seal the chamber, I may not. When I had a Fll. Pietta '60 Colt I used bore butter wads under the ball....this was like 20 years ago. Hope the powder is still good. Maybe I'll inert whats in the flask and replace from a new can of 3X. Now to find the load...10 or 15 grains.

t
IMG_8642.jpg

Last edited:
Are you getting at least very fine shavings / hairs off the ball when seating? If no, a pre-lubed wad or bore butter might be a good idea.

Phew.[rockon]

I did set off a little fingernail size powder sample from the flask in the sink. Worked fine, but I opened a new can anyway as I have plenty of powder.

t
IMG_8644.jpg

100 balls of lead in the box, 100 balls of lead, ram one down and screw it out, 99 balls of lead in the box....

Last edited:
Looks like I'm seeing 12.5 grains 3X. Could easily handle a .320 ball from what I see.

t

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.47.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.47.28 PM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Guess'in that's a baby colt, if so, you might find the .315 balls a little small. They are in mine. Cut little patches out of cleaning patches to secure it in, worked fine but, horrible cap sucker(I SAID CAP)

When I told my wife I was ordering a nipple wrench, she looked at me funny.
Unless your wife or significant other is "in the know" with black powder stuff......toss your receipts in the trash.....nobody wants them finding a receipt for:

Ball puller
Ball starter
Nipple prick
Bore butter
Nipple wrench
Ram rod

BP revolvers are fun, but I've always cringed at the Colt design. The lack of a top strap makes the whole thing look fragile, with that one thin corner.

Remington did it right. (Ruger did it really right, but that's a modern design.)

Would you believe after all that, the caps were bad? Three of four failed to fire. The pumpkin got a stay of execution. 12 shots with each chamber needing 1-4 caps. Shot way high as I expected. Aimed for the bottom of the cardboard. Virtually no recoil. First cylinder with bore butter, second not. No issues save caps. 30 feet, overcast, drizzle, humid, still.

t
712EF1F7-63E8-4921-8773-94B8BDCC7E32.jpeg

Last edited:
My only problem with my original Colt BP revolvers is that I can't find a primer applicator that works. Also, the fired primers break up and gum up the works. An hour at the range to fire 15-20 shots. Jack.

The first firearm I ever fired was black powder. To date, it is the only time I had the pleasure.

Very nice, Tim. I need to get my 1858 Remington out to make smoke and possibly holes in things.
snMUPHv.jpg

Having just recently got into cap and ball stuff myself, I'm learning all about it. I have the original Colt 1860 I showed in another thread, and since then bought an Armi San Paolo Colt 1860 clone, and an Armi San Marco Remington 1858 clone. Both are fun to shoot. What I'm learning is that in a lot of these older Italian repro revolvers, the small internal parts were not the greatest quality steel, and wear out pretty quickly. I ended up replacing the trigger and cylinder hand/ spring in the Colt clone. Problem is, parts for that exact gun are pretty much nowhere to be found so I had to buy Pietta parts and make them work. I am fairly good at basic home-smithing and fitting parts where needed, but having limited experience in single action pistols, it's slow going. I took the Colt clone out the other day after replacing those parts, and although the function seemed ok and the cylinder timing right, something seemed different upon hammer fall. Like there was something impeding it's full travel forward. I fired it anyhow but got a few misfires. Upon cocking the hammer again and firing the next cylinder, twice I got the dreaded chain fire. Holy Shit!!!! That was scary. I fired off the last two cylinders on 2nd strike and put it away. I figured out that the new cylinder hand was way too thick and getting somewhat caught up in the little window next to the arbor. The caps weren't getting enough pressure to fire, but from the recoil of the adjacent cylinder going off, was enough to set off the previous misfired cylinder. I'm pretty sure I have it fixed now, after several hours of careful hand sanding and polishing. I'm taking it out again after IDPA tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

BP revolvers are fun, but I've always cringed at the Colt design. The lack of a top strap makes the whole thing look fragile, with that one thin corner.

Remington did it right. (Ruger did it really right, but that's a modern design.)

Colt's design will hold up just fine to moderate loads, but I sure as hell won't be putting max capacity load through any of my 3 cap & ball's. The Remington design is known to be strong yes, but my repro is a brass-framed version. Putting too heavy a load through those can ruin the gun pretty quick. Frame stretch is apparently a thing, but a more common issue I guess is that the hole where the cylinder pin seats can get battered by heavy loads and become loose. I'm using the same load for all three guns... 24gr Goex 3F

Anyone know where I can get some #10 percussion caps and try again? Have a wrench coming from Track-of-the-Wolf.

t

Back
Top Bottom