Coming out of the closet...

After two hours in there searching for the M1A op rod spring guide that tried to harpoon me earlier in the evening. [angry]

The piece of crap is still laughing at me... Hiding in a 6 ft high stack of milk crates filled with every small hobby part kind of thing I've ever collected. After jumping over bins of wiring and computer parts. All looked through at least once, and most twice. [crying]

Last edited:
I lost the tiny little pin that's behind the slide lock on my PPKS one afternoon at BRP at a SAS meeting. Damned thing is spring loaded and it flew away! [laugh] Thank goodness an eagle-eyed woman found it.....somehow. Sucker is about 1/4" long. [shocked]

Disassembling my very first 1911 my very first time, as I tried to carefully loosen the barrel bushing, it got away from me and went zinging across my basement, burrowing itself it the deepest, darkest junk filled corner.

I never did find that sucker -- I had to call S&W for a replacement. Since then, I've only had that bushing go ballistic once or twice, but I've managed to watch the flight path much more closely. No losses of late.

Cross-X said:
Disassembling my very first 1911 my very first time, as I tried to carefully loosen the barrel bushing, it got away from me and went zinging across my basement, burrowing itself it the deepest, darkest junk filled corner.

I never did find that sucker -- I had to call S&W for a replacement. Since then, I've only had that bushing go ballistic once or twice, but I've managed to watch the flight path much more closely. No losses of late.

I feel for you...

I had a squib one time at the range. I was taking apart the gun to get the barrel out to push the head back out.

Well, when I turned the barel bushing, My hands were sweaty and oily from the heat and the gun. Well, needless to say, my finger slipped and my guide rod plug went flying out into the range.

Damn thing looks like any other steel or nickle plated shell casing. I had three guys at the range looking for it with me... We saw the dust from where it hit. But we couldn't find it.

So, after about 20 min, I didn't want to keep the range cold any longer for everyone else. So I just gave up.

Called Para, and told them what happened. They sent another one out, free of charge.

I now keep a plastic bag with me if I'm going to take apart another one at the range. That way, if it goes flying, it flies into the bag.

C-pher said:
I now keep a plastic bag with me if I'm going to take apart another one at the range. That way, if it goes flying, it flies into the bag.

How do you train a guide rod plug to do that? You could be on David Letterman's "Stupid Gun Part Tricks" [devil]

C-pher said:

More than likely if you launch another one, it will go tearing thru the bag into the netherlands, ripping a hole in the other end of the bag! [smile]

Nickle,

I have two answers for you:

- It flies so far that it needs a passport! [smile]

- I was "looking" for the suitable word and "hit the wall", that is as close as I could come to what I was looking for. I'm not awake yet, no coffee in my veins yet. [wink]

No surprise that C-pher is posting in a thread titled "Coming out of the closet" But I am surprised that there hasn't been any Brent jokes yet!

Adam

my S&W 1911 is a first-gen, where the guid plug is VERY sharp. I was cleaning it one day and the spring got away from me.

The room was a mess, and there were lots of newspapers laying around....I was digging through the papers when I noticed they were turning red....the plug had nipped the tip of my thumb off!

OWWWW

After I bandaged my thumb up I found the little bastard!

haven't lost control of it since. They don't call it the "Oh Jesus Sping" for nuttin'!

Kinda like the "Damnit Tool" [rofl]

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Early in my pistol shooting career, I went down to my basement and carefully disassembled and cleaned my Ruger 22/45. I was a little tired when it came time to put the gun back together, and had no idea I'd left out the cross-bolt firing pin block.

If you know this model of Ruger, the firing pin block is the one they talk about in th emanual in BIG red letters. They caution that failing to put the pin back in during reassembly can cause permanent damage to the barrel.

They were'nt kidding! The missing block pin allowed the firing pin to drive too far forward and peen the hell out of the rear face of the chamber.

I had to ship the gun back to the factory for repair, and got into a huge tussle to get them to replace the barrel for free. This was a $186 part!

After much wrangling, they finally agreed to replace it for free.

Whew!

P.S. It wasn't actually my gun -- it was my friend's. He never found out.

Back
Top Bottom