• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comfortable earplugs

headednorth

NES Member
I prefer to double up on earpro when shooting rifles. The plugs I have now are killing me by the end of the day and even into the next day my ears are still sore. The squishy disposable ones tend to not stay in place for me. Can anyone recommend any plugs that are comfortable and will stay in place? Thanks

For disposable I like the Howard Leight "Laser Lite". I wear plugs not just for shooting but sometimes for sleeping, under my motorcycle helmet or whenever I don't want to hear annoying noise and these are pretty comfortable. Bought a box of 200 pairs for like $25, they reuse pretty well

If the foam type are falling out, they might not be inserted far enough in the ear canal. They got to get on up in there.

05FC7733-44F4-4BE4-8F3C-C59668908E5D.png 3549185D-F5A9-415A-A9CC-311FB9718D4B.png

If the foam type are falling out, they might not be inserted far enough in the ear canal. They got to get on up in there.

View attachment 403345View attachment 403346
Ive had that issue for years. I roll them tightly between my fingers stuff them in and as they expand I can feel them already working their way back out. Theyll stay there for a bit and then it gets to a point where theyre just kind of hanging out with just the ear pro holding them from falling out. Maybe I have funny shaped ear canals? Idk

Ive had that issue for years. I roll them tightly between my fingers stuff them in and as they expand I can feel them already working their way back out. Theyll stay there for a bit and then it gets to a point where theyre just kind of hanging out with just the ear pro holding them from falling out. Maybe I have funny shaped ear canals? Idk

I have the same problem. Solved with custom molded ear plugs.

Well made customs fit right. My cat got a hold of one of my professional custom plugs and between life and covid just have not found the time to get them done again.
So i gave these a try a d they work great. My only complaint it the texture. Its not super soft and squishy like my pro ones.
Amazon product ASIN B003A28P0MView: https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Orange/dp/B003A28P0M/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_1/141-7272170-7205637?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003A28P0M&pd_rd_r=6d0380a5-5a29-4ae8-86cf-e26df8a85ed3&pd_rd_w=sBLQs&pd_rd_wg=CXHIb&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=JH406N1N5HPNWPW8H36W&psc=1&refRID=JH406N1N5HPNWPW8H36W

Expanding foam plugs take practice to get in your ear so they stay put.

I saw some at Cabelas that I may pick up. They are 2 part moldable custom plugs. You mix them and stuff them in your ears for a custom fit. Let them harden and by the looks of them your ears are sealed.
I didn’t see that @mac1911 posted the moldable type. That’s what I’m talking about.

For disposable I like the Howard Leight "Laser Lite". I wear plugs not just for shooting but sometimes for sleeping, under my motorcycle helmet or whenever I don't want to hear annoying noise and these are pretty comfortable. Bought a box of 200 pairs for like $25, they reuse pretty well

These are what I use too, fit well under my motorcycle helmet / outer earpro. Some other brands were giving me earaches having them in too long, these have been fine so far.

You just might have funny shaped ear canals - the more common ear plugs fit the most common ear canals well, but if your ears are out on the end of the bell curve might not fit. As others have pointed out, customs are your best bet.

But if you don't want to got that route, there are sources for sampler packs of earplugs, so you can find what works for you.

Ear Plug Assortment Packs - this company was just the first one I grabbed, never bought from them. There are others.

Look up flare audio.

I used them all the time when I was a mechanic and at the range.

When indoors though, you'll definitely want to double up

Triple Flange types work just fine for me. Wore them for many years in the military and continue to wear them along with properly installed foam plugs to this day.
Using either allows for no intereference with cheek weld, unlike headphone type hearing protection.

Whatever you get, dont get these. I had to use a dremel to round all the corners.

SmartSelect_20201107-232413_Chrome.jpg

the purple foam Flents ones at Wally-world are quite awesome & higher NRR (33) than most shooting ones

often its because your not getting them deep enough into the ear cannal. Look at someones custom molded plugs and you will see.

Now my cat got a hold of one of my custom plugs and I,just have not found the time to go have another set made. i like the fit and feel of the material of my custom plugs . In the meantime i bought these. Follow the directions get it into the ear channel and they work well. Especially well if your doubling up. For disposable foam squishy - Macks brand seems to stay in the best for me but I have learned you have to get the squishy foam ones well into the ear.
Amazon product ASIN B002XULPSQView: https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXjjq-c6G7cqtxTloM4r4Ta3a1K_O9t-L1TXw7PbNO7OLYBVpp3Lt1hoC498QAvD_BwE&hvadid=177781392884&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9058141&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11953927212558935791&hvtargid=kwd-4299896046&hydadcr=1420_9902100&keywords=custom+molded+ear+plugs&qid=1606057469&sr=8-6&tag=googhydr-20

Last edited:
Who is doing customs these days that isn't an unreliable hack? (Not naming names, but i know at least two guys that are hacks/bad rep). People have told me that using an audiologist is the way to go, although cost is higher...

Heres a few more at hime custom options.

Who is doing customs these days that isn't an unreliable hack? (Not naming names, but i know at least two guys that are hacks/bad rep). People have told me that using an audiologist is the way to go, although cost is higher...
I have been thinking of having my hearing checked and see whats available these days and for price.
Several years ago i stopped in a hearing aid place and they wanted $150 for the same ones I got at MA trap shoot for $45 silicone injected.
The other option was getting a mold of my ears and sending the molds out to be made into earplugs/hearing aids .

Back
Top Bottom