• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comedian makes straw purchase

the point of most laws is to protect us from ourselves and each other

I don't need to be protected from myself numb nuts. So you broke an existing law to illegaly purchase a gun, and you think we need more laws? You are a special kind of retard aren't u, cupcake?

The FFL clearly broke the law, it was obviously a straw purchase. It does not matter how many laws you put in place if you're prepared to break them. Laws "only" affect the law abiding.

Now who want's to meet me in New Hampshire and buy me a Walther PPQ M2 5 inch?

harry

Especially the friend with the Nevada ID, because he's the one who lied on the federal 4473 form when he check off "yes" to the question "Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm?" and then signed it.
Exactly the friend to which I was referring. Is he a resident of another state, I wonder. Multiple felonies.

The FFL clearly broke the law, it was obviously a straw purchase. It does not matter how many laws you put in place if you're prepared to break them. Laws "only" affect the law abiding.

Now who want's to meet me in New Hampshire and buy me a Walther PPQ M2 5 inch?

harry
If you find somebody I'll drive.

The Great Karnak predicts:

The FFL will be prosecuted. Everyone else involved not so much.

That won't happen either, unless it's shown that the straw buyers were "throwing signs" and the FFL ignored them.

-Mike

I know that asking this question is going to start a SH--STORM however I must ask AGAIN.

CAN somebody explain to me how what was portrayed was a straw purchase as defined by the BATF? I swear in the video the guy said to the person buying the gun "you pay for it and I'll pick up dinner". In this case the buyer is not using the comedians money to pay for it and there appears to be no agreement that the comedian is going to pay the purchaser for the gun. If the purchaser wants to buy the gun and gift it to the comedian that is not a straw purchase as defined by the BATF.

proofs nothing, other than the dealer is an idiot

The other possibility is the entire thing is a setup and it's fake. In which case it's impossible to prosecute anyone and the anti gun faggot has his dog and pony show for his followers, and gets away with it. It's not really that hard to construct a realistic script to pull it off.

-Mike

I know that asking this question is going to start a SH--STORM however I must ask AGAIN.

CAN somebody explain to me how what was portrayed was a straw purchase as defined by the BATF? I swear in the video the guy said to the person buying the gun "you pay for it and I'll pick up dinner". In this case the buyer is not using the comedians money to pay for it and there appears to be no agreement that the comedian is going to pay the purchaser for the gun. If the purchaser wants to buy the gun and gift it to the comedian that is not a straw purchase as defined by the BATF.

Any kind of shit swapping is illegal. If I bring a hot chick to a gun show and she says to me in front of the dealer "I'll give you a (you know what) in the parking lot if you buy me a gun" that's usually more than enough to get a typical FFL to tell you to **** off and don't come back. Doesn't necessarily mean its prosecutable but BATFE has tried to slam people on more than one occasion for stuff like that.

ETA: It also appears that Hoffstetter is PROBABLY not an NV resident. That ALONE is enough to break the gift
exemption, all by itself. You cannot gift a firearm if there is a residency mismatch.

-Mike

Last edited:
Any kind of shit swapping is illegal. If I bring a hot chick to a gun show and she says to me in front of the dealer "I'll give you a (you know what) in the parking lot if you buy me a gun" that's usually more than enough to get a typical FFL to tell you to **** off and don't come back. Doesn't necessarily mean its prosecutable but BATFE has tried to slam people on more than one occasion for stuff like that. -Mike -Mike
.gov ruins everything!

The laws on the books which clearly define how to buy a handgun are there just like there are locks on the doors of our homes: to keep the good guys good. A bad guy will lie, cheat, ignore, and steal what they have to in order to obtain a handgun through "legal" means which make our politicians layer more and more laws on top of the existing ones. Liars are going to lie, right? Here in CT the gangs were having friends buy handguns for them for a profit and then those friends would "lose" them or someone would break into their home and steal them. The legislature, having discovered this, layered on new laws that required that we notify the CSP within 24 hours of a theft figuring that that would slow down some of the purchasers. Well, if you don't know somethings been stolen how can you report it in 24 hours? "Hey, man, I didn't know the gun was stolen a year ago...blah, blah, blah. But, there it is, more laws on top of laws.

Sure, the clear intention here was to exploit the system by creating a straw purchase. It wasn't a "gift" at all. It was clearly a quid-pro-quo situation meant to obfuscate the system and they needed an FFL patsy to go along with it. So, there ya go, pap for the masses.

Rome

The other possibility is the entire thing is a setup and it's fake. In which case it's impossible to prosecute anyone and the anti gun faggot has his dog and pony show for his followers, and gets away with it. It's not really that hard to construct a realistic script to pull it off.

-Mike

Roger that !

Well he didn't actually take possession of it according to the article , so I guess then it's not really a straw purchase then is it?

I wish he had though so that the ATF could be pressured to bring charges against the little dickwad.
Would love to see the video of the two of them getting tossed into a cell with tears running down their faces yelling "We were just trying to make a point, We were just trying to make a point."

The suspect, I mean "comedian" Steve Hofstetter makes a straw purchase on TV for inside edition and uses the video to show how easy it is to buy a gun....

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/14113-comedian-shows-its-easier-to-buy-a-gun-in-nevada-than-it-is-to-rent

And yet to make a long story short, they did not sell him a gun, he did not buy a gun in his name (his pal did)
He can't legally take possession and or they broke the law if he does. Yep, criminals can happen!

This is very possible. You do have those people like the guy with an FFL from Ware gun shop that supports all kinds of gun control who would probably go along with setting something up like this in order to get more ineffective BS gun control passed.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom