• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Combining two of my favorite hobbies; drones and shooting

commodon

NES Member
Russia Invents Flying, Shooting Kalashnikov Rifle Drone

bgwh45wg4gr5.jpg

Russia’s largest defense contractor has invented an assault rifle drone capable of flying and shooting at the same time.

The state-owned Almaz-Antey company filed a patent for the armed drone with the Federal Service for Intellectual Property in 2018. Described as “a fully functioning [gun] inside a set of wings,” the 23-kilogram drone is capable of flying for 40 minutes and staying aloft while shooting.

Our task was to lift a device with a weapon into the sky and provide maximum stability of its performance and high accuracy of striking the target,” said its designer, the Moscow Aviation Institute.

According to the institute, the drone is equipped with an autoloading Kalashnikov rifle with a 10-round, box-type magazine.

The drone rifle can continue tracking a target that it misses the first time around without the need to manually adjust its flight path, the aviation institute said.

Video footage shows the drone taking off and flying for several minutes before landing. Another video shows a shooter picking up the airframe and firing a few rounds.

Media outlets have expressed doubts that the Kalashnikov drone will be able to “shoot people in what would essentially be a flying drive-by,” saying it will likely function as a “crazy-looking distraction.”

Others have described the invention as a “terrifying vision of the future of warfare.”

Meanwhile, Kalashnikov unveiled a suicide drone last month and is still working on its steel-frame “flying car.”

From Russia Invents Flying, Shooting Kalashnikov Rifle Drone

There is that pesky FAA regulation about objects leaving an aircraft, and yes sUAV's ( or Drones as you know them) are considered aircraft by the FAA and regulated as such in the NAS (National Air Space) which starts at the top of the blades grass. Me doubts civilians are going to be allowed to do this... cripes most people are calling for us to be outlawed as it is.

Oh no he has a Glock 7 on his Drone.... he can look in my bedroom window and shoot me

There is that pesky FAA regulation about objects leaving an aircraft, and yes sUAV's ( or Drones as you know them) are considered aircraft by the FAA and regulated as such in the NAS (National Air Space) which starts at the top of the blades grass. Me doubts civilians are going to be allowed to do this... cripes most people are calling for us to be outlawed as it is.

Oh no he has a Glock 7 on his Drone.... he can look in my bedroom window and shoot me

Allowed? you mean by an invisible force field? Anyone that wants to put a gun on a model airplane cares very little about any of that. [laugh]

-Mike

The rule is that you can't be a hazard to persons or property on the surface. So, if appropriate safety measures are taken, it is perfectly fine to launch things off an aircraft. It is done all the time.

drones dropping grenades were big hit in Syria. Very cheap and very effective. If I had to fear death from above, it would not be a flying AK, it would be a cheap pipe bomb.

The rule is that you can't be a hazard to persons or property on the surface. So, if appropriate safety measures are taken, it is perfectly fine to launch things off an aircraft. It is done all the time.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly......

Does anyone watch "The Grand Tour" on Amazon prime? It is the re-boot of "Top Gear" from the BBC with Clarkson, May, and Hammond.
I was watching an episode filmed in china where they had drones equipped with flame throwers, I had Drone Envy for a moment

So apart from some pesky BATF regulation about remote firing a weapon, does this mean we can go small game hunting with my Mavic Pro?

seems the FAA is proposing a new rule....
Payload Restrictions for Drones
Recently, Congress enacted a law that prohibits a person from operating a drone that has a weapon attached. It also prohibits using a drone to transport chemicals and hazardous waste. However, the law didn’t address all types of payloads that could pose a threat. We know people have used drones for illegal surveillance, to deliver contraband to prisons, to damage public infrastructure, and for other malicious activities. So the FAA is considering whether Part 107 prohibit other payloads as well. Questions include if and what kinds of prohibitions could protect public safety, and whether there should be exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom