Combat! the series

bfm

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have been watching it on youtube. The things you don't notice as a kid, like the number of German soldiers with Gewehr 41 or 43 rifles.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
I remember it, from back in the day. My dad, who had been an armorer in WWII would get irritated that guns that were supposed to fire from an open bolt, were firing from a closed bolt, and such. [laugh]

Sgt. Schultz, on Hogan's Heroes, occasionally could be spotted with a Krag, instead of a Mauser. The accuracy of the props was not a prime consideration. [laugh]

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sgt. Schultz, on Hogan's Heroes, occasionally could be spotted with a Krag, instead of a Mauser. The accuracy of the props was not a prime consideration. [laugh]
Schultz's Krag isn't as inaccurate as you'd think. Schultz wasn't on the frontline. Schultz wasn't even in the Heer, he was a Luftwaffe POW Camp guard. The Nazis occupied Denmark and Norway, who both used Krags. The Nazis both used captured Krags and ordered production of new Krags for their own use. Non-standard rifles got sent to troops in the rear who didn't need a constant supply of ammo. Like Schultz.

1581857624675.png

1581857650306.png

German designations of foreign firearms in World War II - Wikipedia

Now, I doubt that the producers of the show actually realized that Schultz, being a Luftwaffe camp guard, would receive a non-standard gun to free up more K98ks for frontline troops. But Schultz having a Krag isn't outside the realm of possibility.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I saw a YouTube video on the cast of Hogans Heroes. I was surprised how many were affected by the war. LeBeau was in a death camp as a child and it was his ability to sing that kept him alive. Schultz looked so good as an American soldier that they put him on recruiting posters.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Now, I doubt that the producers of the show actually realized that Schultz, being a Luftwaffe camp guard, would receive a non-standard gun to free up more K98ks for frontline troops. But Schultz having a Krag isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Fair enough. For a while, my dad was carrying a Browning Hi-Power. [laugh]

The 9mm ammo was a bit in short supply, until one day, his opposite number in a British unit said, "Here, Yank!" and tossed a case of 9x19 into his shop truck. [laugh]

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fair enough. For a while, my dad was carrying a Browning Hi-Power. [laugh]

The 9mm ammo was a bit in short supply, until one day, his opposite number in a British unit said, "Here, Yank!" and tossed a case of 9x19 into his shop truck. [laugh]
The BHP was really noteworthy for winding up in unusual places. There were pre-war Belgian, Estonian, and Latvian guns. Then there were Nazi-occupation made guns. Then Inglis sent tons to Nationalist China and the Soviet Partisans. Canada used them (maybe still does?). Brits used them. OSS and SOE used them. The BHP definitely got around in WW2.

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love the series. I've also seen them all on youtube. I've been tempted to buy the whole series on DVD. I was just 4 or 5 years old when it first ran and I can remember my mother telling me "that's not a program for children". Fast forward many years later and I rediscover it on youtube. I had to give my mother a call and remind her of what she had said way back and ask if it was OK if I watched it now. For a series that came out in the early 60s, it was done well as entertainment even with all the flaws. Kirby, Billy Nelson and both Docs are all that's left of the cast. Check mate King 2, out.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Vic's daughter is actress Jennifer Jason Leigh.
son of a bitch! instead of all the know it alls trying to tell me the technical inaccuracies of one of my favorite childhood tv shows, i finally get a tid bit of info i was wowed by. i did not know this. [thumbsup] next someone is going to tell me the torpedoes they used in mchales navy was the wrong type.

Top Bottom