Combat .357 Mag Model, 19, 66, or 686

I am considering adding a K/L frame to my collection. I really like the look of 2 1/2 and 3 inch models, I know there will be a sacrafice in velocity. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these models, I know there have been many changes since 1957, but I am just looking for some feedback or thoughts on the best model. Post some pictures of yours if you have one.

i have a 65-2 3" mass state police engraved and one in 4" engraved also, they both shoot awesome!
P1000258.jpg
you might like this size ?

I've got two Model 19s (2.5" and a 4"), a 686P, and had a 66 (had to trade it to get my Mod 19 back from my best friend). I'd trust any of them with my life.

DSC02235.jpg

How do you like the 686p? I considered that in the 2 1/2 inch, but I haven't shot one. I think the 66 or 19 in 2 1/2 is what I will wind up with. Where did you get those wood grips? That is one beautiful gun.

I highly recommend the 3" fixed-sight K frames. IMO, they are the fighting revolver perfected:

65-5
DSC01167.jpg

ETA: the 3" S&Ws have a key advantage over those with shorter barrels and that is the fact that the ejector rod is long enough to completely clear a.357 Magnum case out of the cylinder, whether you hit the rod hard or easy. With the shorter guns, you have to rely on hitting that rod hard enough that the cases fly out.

I also find the fixed sights to be a lot faster to use and more than plenty accurate (IDPA target head shots at 25 yds) for fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you like the 686p? I considered that in the 2 1/2 inch, but I haven't shot one. I think the 66 or 19 in 2 1/2 is what I will wind up with. Where did you get those wood grips? That is one beautiful gun.

686 is a nice gun. Big and heavy so it soaks up recoil. I bought the 6" version, not realizing it was too long for IDPA. I also had a problem in that the chambers weren't cut right so that after about 3-4 cylinders of ammo, it became VERY hard to eject. Sent it back to S&W twice on their dime - first time they claim they recut the chambers (with no effect), second time they replaced it. Works perfectly now.

The 2.5" is My Precious - it came to us on our birthday, it did!! [/gollum] Seriously, it was my treat to myself for my 49th birthday. I just lucked into it at Callaghan's about 3 days after my birthday and bought it on the spot. I love that thing. The grips are factory and are absolutely awesome - fits my hand perfectly. One of these days I'm getting the 4" modified so that it's a round butt also.

OK, silly question. Is the 686 just an update on the 66, with improvements and stuff, or are they entirely different? What are the differences?

I've got a 19 and a 66, and I love them both.

I'm not as big on the 686. The 19/66 balance beautifully, so I'm not that big a fan of the extra weight on the 686. I also don't care for the locks on new S&W. Finally, I was chatting with two other revolver shooters at the Harvard Cold Turkey IDPA match in November. Both of them had had the same problem with their 686 -- the yoke broke off during reloads. These were both pretty good shooters and not folks who abuse their guns. One of them bought a 66 to use that rather than his 686 in competition.

OK, silly question. Is the 686 just an update on the 66, with improvements and stuff, or are they entirely different? What are the differences?

Mod 66 is a stainless steel Model 19 - a K frame. Mod 686 is an L frame - a heavier barrel and frame and a K-frame sized grip, AFAIK. It's also got a full lug under the barrel. Different guns.

Mod 66 is a stainless steel Model 19 - a K frame. Mod 686 is an L frame - a heavier barrel and frame and a K-frame sized grip, AFAIK. It's also got a full lug under the barrel. Different guns.

The K Frame is the "Combat Magnum" The L Frame is the "Distinguished Combat Magnum" The L frame (581, 586, 681, 686) were developed as a way to try to compete with the balance and weight of a Python for the PPC Distinguished matches.

IMNSHO the "L" are great in a 4" and 6" gun. In the shorter barrel version, they balance funny. My 66-1 is a highly customized 2.5" carry gun and has a lot of rounds through it. It is still in excellent shape and my favorite carry. (with proper holster)

If I were looking right now, I would first look for a 19 then a 66. They can be had usually for under $500. Jose keeps pushing his 3" 65. I wish he would stop. It is also one of those guns I always wished I had bought and rubbing salt in the wound is cruel. [wink]

(I do prefer adjustable sights though)

Last edited:
Never any love for the 586 in these threads.
Personally, I love mine. That said, I also love my 66, and my 19. I really don't feel like you can go wrong with a S&W .357mag as long as it's not a j frame. (unless you're a sadist)

IMG_2700.jpg

.357 Smiths are my favorite.
I've had the 19-5 in 2.5", 65-2 in 4", 686+ in 2.5", 65-5 in 3"

I like the older 65-2 with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders.

My current snubnoses, 686+ 7 shot in 2.5 and Colt Lawman 2" are the bomb.

The 686 (L frame) is larger in many respects than the 66 (K frame). Many parts interchange, particularly the grips and in the lockwork, but just as many do not.

Jose keeps pushing his 3" 65. I wish he would stop. It is also one of those guns I always wished I had bought and rubbing salt in the wound is cruel. [wink]
I can rub in some sugar if you'd like......[smile]

Oh, and don't forget the 3" Model 13, the FBI's last general issue wheelgun.

^^^ Hmmmmm....

I love the 686. For some reason Manchester's has the red fiber optic sight on the front which I really really like on that gun. Whatever .357 I wind up getting will need one of those. Super comfortable to shoot and very accurate even in my hands.

I shot a S&W Highway Patrolman this weekend, which was nice but seemed to have a couple sharp edges that the 686 doesn't. I love the blued finish on it though...thing is a classic and shoots super nice!

The 686 Plus in 3inch barrel is my all time favorite revolver.

If I could only have one handgun, THAT would be it, and it'd be the last one I'd ever sell from my collection.

When I bought my 66 new in 2000. I order the 2.5. I wish I had gotten the 3 with the full length extractor.

sw66_5%20600x538.jpg

I have the 19 in 4 inch. It's just a little less convenient to carry.

19_3left%20800x356.jpg

Go with a 66 or 65 in 3 inch if you can find one, if carry is what you want.

I have a 19 with the 4 inch barrel.. it was a duty gun for an armed security co.. lots of holster wear.. brand new insides.. and a great gun for walks in the woods..

There are four 3" Model 66s on gunbroker right now. Two are obscenely overpriced from some dealer in KY. The other two are actually reasonable.

The 3" Model 66 is quite rare. I was amazed to see that many for sale in one day.

You do. Everyone needs a good wheel gun. Not a new one, either. Older S&W's are shining examples of genuine American craftsmanship.

I guess I will hit the classifieds and do some shop hopping next week. I kind of want to shoot IDPA with one, but I also want to carry it.

Back
Top Bottom