Colt thinking about leaving CT now?!?!?!?

For the record. Colt already has a plant in FL and S&W has a facility in ME.

S&W had a manufacturing plant in Rochester NH, they closed it years ago and moved that production line to Springfield. In hindsight, that may not have been such a great move.

Ruger makes most of their guns in NH and AZ and have for years.

Then it should be fairly easy for them to move their corporate offices out of CT if the actual manufacturing is already in other states.

S&W had a manufacturing plant in Rochester NH, they closed it years ago and moved that production line to Springfield. In hindsight, that may not have been such a great move.

Then it should be fairly easy for them to move their corporate offices out of CT if the actual manufacturing is already in other states.

If you ever saw the manufacturing plant in Rochester which IIRC was the old Thomson Center Firearms facility, you'd understand why they closed and moved it from that facility

Not convinced CT cares. Same with MA. They want to get away from old economy jobs and increase jobs in tech/biotech. They will say that the transition will take decades and be tough in many respects on certain local economies but that in the long run it will pay off. That will be the tag line.

How far will this go? The realignment of America really has begun and could possibly set the stage for something more drastic. Bad times are coming.

I expect Colt & Ruger to wait and see what ruling comes out of the lawsuit that was filed in Federal court. If gunowners lose, then watch Colt & Ruger pick up and leave.

Smith and Wesson is a publically traded company. If and this is a big "if" the shareholders vote to move....well, I don't see that that they would have much choice. The price of thier stock is "high" as of this writing but...I'm sure many of the shareholders are "shooters".
Just sayin'

GGboy

Smith and Wesson is a publically traded company. If and this is a big "if" the shareholders vote to move....well, I don't see that that they would have much choice. The price of thier stock is "high" as of this writing but...I'm sure many of the shareholders are "shooters".
Just sayin'

GGboy

Okay, for the record I am an S&W stockholder. Sales and production is up, profits at a high. Moving production would mean shutting down the Springfield factory and relocating. Not an easy or inexpensive task. Lots of equipment. Yes Houlton, ME remains an option but its production is limited to certain lines. Thompson Center was relocated to Springfield a few years ago. From a business standpoint it just might not be good business. The goal of any company is to make money for itself and its stockholders. So does one look at this from the standpoint of a capitalist or an idealist?

I think a lot of you are wishful thinking. S&W has historically had a diversified product line and has veered far from firearms at times. It does a lot of forgings for other industries and gun companies. If tomorrow, S&W thought they could make more money making pogo sticks and dropping guns, they'd start making pogo sticks, plain and simple. They may be an icon, but first and foremost they are a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article is months old. The laws passed long ago, and Colt had remained silent and state in CT.

True that a move would probably be a financial"tactical loss" for S+W...then again it might be a stategic gain.
Magpul, that recently moved, is doing "quite well" and is expected to to continue so for the forseeable future.
A tactical loss for a strategic gain. Although , unfortunetly, ( or as it stands) Magpull , is not a publicly traded company.
So no stock holder vote and they moved anyways.
Opinion? Smart move?
GGboy

I'm guessing here but Magpul is really a niche marketing/manufacturing enterprise in the shooting sports industry specializing in AR accessories. They don't have the overhead that S&W has, and like you say, are not publicly traded. It will probably be a strategic advantage for them. How long will it take for them to set up? The S&W plant is large dating back to the early 1950s. They would have to relocate a forging operation and a host of other functions as well. Can they really afford to not produce product when there is such high demand? We don't know what the future will bring. Better to make product and money now, short term gain versus long term advantage IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom