Colt Super .38

Asaltweapon

NES Member
I've acquired an older Super (Ser 33###) that does not have much of any wear but was improperly stored so it has a dime sized rust snot on the left side of the slide, some small pits elsewhere around the slide and frame and a touch of rust on the trigger. Gun is 100% original with the box and papers but the rust sadly has ruined it. Too bad really but such is life. It was not a lot of money.

Trigger and sights need to change no matter what. They really suck.

I guess I got a few options. Reblue it, Ceracoat or some other finish or just buff it out as best as possible and leave it. I have zero attachment to this gun so it's not a value thing. I have plenty of blue and black pistols.

Another option is to Greg Derr it but dropping a bunch of money on it isn't in my best interests at this time and frankly if I was going to do that I'd rather it be on my Ser 70 .45.

I'm looking for some ideas on what to do with it.

Not much of a collector, or appearance guy, but from a shooters perspective I can tell you that Super is relatively expensive to run. Far better off to be putting any dough into a 9 for a minor caliber range gun.

Not much of a collector, or appearance guy, but from a shooters perspective I can tell you that Super is relatively expensive to run. Far better off to be putting any dough into a 9 for a minor caliber range gun.

Thanks but the cost to feed it really isn't too much of an issue for me. I've always admired the Super .38 so when the opportunity to grab one at a cost I could not refuse came my way I did so.

Attachments

• D86CD874-3827-4642-A4C2-8A310F151845.jpeg
    D86CD874-3827-4642-A4C2-8A310F151845.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 284C3540-2EEC-499F-8DA6-7C3099EA4BDE.jpeg
    284C3540-2EEC-499F-8DA6-7C3099EA4BDE.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 84D1A62D-D398-4938-AFA7-D7E7A1463B0E.jpeg
    84D1A62D-D398-4938-AFA7-D7E7A1463B0E.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 67
As much as I hate to offer, I will be happy to dispose of it for you. Don't store it near any other firearms as they will start to rust and I'll end up having to dispose of those for you also. Seriously good score for you!

There are options, but remember it’s only original once. I would have to see how deep the snot spot is but you could add High Power cuts and reblue the slide. That would remove the affected area and give you a slight custom modification.

For something different....try boiling the frame in a pot of onion skins. It could result in a case hardened pattern, depending on the steel

There are options, but remember it’s only original once. I would have to see how deep the snot spot is but you could add High Power cuts and reblue the slide. That would remove the affected area and give you a slight custom modification.

There’s a thought. Gun is stripped and soaking in oil now. Got a brass brush hitting it lightly to see what cleans up.
I’ll give you a shout and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom