Colt Python Prices?

In God We Trust

NES Member
I have always wanted one of these but the asking prices seem insane. Over two grand usually. The one I really want is a six inch nickel plated.

What I am wondering is what people think is a realistic price? I'm wondering if I should just jump on the next one I see for 2,500 - 3,000 or if I should keep waiting and hope I get lucky.

Last edited:
If you're patient and look in the right place, you can find a deal here and there- a deal being a few hundred less than market. Colt Pythons tend to get their premium price. Keep an eye out for auction sites that deal in C&Rs and go that route. Look for ones that end late at night, the fudds don't stay up past midnight.

I wouldn't pay those prices, I sold a stainless 4" on here a few years back for $750.00. I had paid $650.00 back in the early 90's.

That gun in my opinion would never be worth $2500.00. Your money could be better spent.

Look for a King Cobra 6", a 686 4" and a Model 66 2 1/2" you should be able to get all three for under $2500.00 and be happier IMO.

My King Cobra has a better factory trigger than the Python did.

I wouldn't pay those prices, I sold a stainless 4" on here a few years back for $750.00. I had paid $650.00 back in the early 90's.

That gun in my opinion would never be worth $2500.00. Your money could be better spent.

Look for a King Cobra 6", a 686 4" and a Model 66 2 1/2" you should be able to get all three for under $2500.00 and be happier IMO.

My King Cobra has a better factory trigger than the Python did.
Drool. I want a King Cobra! I am jealous!

I just sold a Combat Cobra Lew Horton Edition #133/1000 for a lot less than that but I'm never selling my Python or Diamondback. I do have the urge for an Anaconda.

I have always wanted one of these but the asking prices seem insane. Over two grand usually. The one I really want is a six inch nickel plated.

What I am wondering is what people think is a realistic price? I'm wondering if I should just jump on the next one I see for 2,500 - 3,000 or if I should keep waiting and hope I get lucky.

The problem is you only see sock drawer ones for sale usually. For some reason they are ALWAYS mint. You also have to be very careful as I think quite a few go back to Colt for refinishing get counterfeit boxes and papers and then are sold NIB. Go to the Colt forum and educate yourself, they are scary smart over there. The nickel one you see in my avatar which is exactly what you want I bought for $1100 two years since the timing was off. I cleaned it, fixed the timing issue and shot it for a while and sold it last year for $2400 and it certainly had its rub marks and use. If it was sock drawer mint it is a $3500 gun.

You don't state if you are a subject of MA or live in a free state. If you are in MA, you are pretty much screwed since you can't bring them into the state.

Keep your eyes open, I was at a gunshow a few months ago and saw a near-mint blued python with 8" barrel for only $2000. Reason being it was dirty and needed to be polished. That was at least $800 below market, so they are out there!

If you are going to pay a premium, educate yourself on the rampant fraud with rampant Colts.

If you are looking for a accurate revolver with a sweet trigger, just buy a S&W 686 and drop it off at David Santurri in North Attleboro.

Otherwise, you have to just poke around at gun shops and gun shows hoping to get lucky. Four Seasons has had a pretty steady diet of Pythons through the shop, but they are not cheap.

Chris

You're also paying a fan boy markup... The Walking Dead is the most popular show on TV...and the main character carries a Six inch barrel, nickel plated Python. I'm guessing that quiet a few fan boys are snapping these up and driving up the prices. I could be wrong...but seems to me whenever there's a way to gouge the faithful many gun dealers have no shame about runningthe bids up. Example...whats 7.62 and .22 going for now?

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Colt_Python

I happen to love all models of the Python and an advent collector. If anyone was interested in selling I would be interested in buying. I'm located near Bradley Airport in CT.
[email protected]

I happen to love all models of the Python

Who doesn't ???
BTW, the hot blond babe from American Hoggers (Leah Penick) carries a 4" stainless just like mine.

lea_penick_american_hoggers_lokiu72E.sized.jpg

That's my kind of woman!

[thumbsup]

I like the Python, but based on the price I'd go for a bunch of other Colt's first, like a Trooper or a variant.

Way over priced....they were $1200 or so 5 years ago....one sell for 2k they are now all worth 2k lol.

A buddy just sold his 6" blued python without the original grips, to a dealer, for $1400. I just dont see how any production non historical gun can bring that lind of money.

Back
Top Bottom