Colt Python advice.

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
I know nothing other than to check on a few websites to determine value but a friend sent me a picture of one of his safe queens he's looking to part with and asked me for advice. He's not terribly computer savvy but it looks like he's got one hell of a gun here. Its been in his safe in the original box for 30 years. Fired less than a box through it way back when. It's a 6" Python in factory Royal Blue, he says the finish is unbelievably beautiful. When he bought it he had Colt Custom shop do the factory trigger job to it. From what I can see this is in the $4K range? Is that fairly accurate market value?

This is the only picture I have of it but I can get more on request. Thanks for advice, I know two things 1. It's beautiful and 2. I can't afford it.

Resized_20161221_182456.jpg

Look on Gunbroker -- there are lots of them for sale there. Does it have the original box and all the stuff that came in the box? Documentation on the work done by CCS? Collectors value that stuff.

Look on Gunbroker -- there are lots of them for sale there. Does it have the original box and all the stuff that came in the box? Documentation on the work done by CCS? Collectors value that stuff.
Yes it has everything. I checked quick on GB and these are priced pretty strong, I just figured I'd ask if that was a "real world" value.

I have one made in the 80s with the polished nickel finish with a 6" barrel in about 95% condition. Sadly no original box. I have been offered a lot of money for it but I will never sell it...I have been offered what I think is an insane amount but if people want them bad enough, they'll pay the piper...and the fewer of these that show up on the market, the more expensive they will become. A Python is like land; they aren't making it any longer...

Last edited:
If looking for what they are actually selling for on Gunbroker, one must check the advanced search for sold items. Asking price is asking price, and not necessarily what anyone will pay. That said, Python's are quite valuable and after 30 years your friend has a chance of getting his money back. [smile]

I had a FFL back in the mid 1970's, and you could buy Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks for less than $300....which was a lot of $$$$ back then.

Back in the late 90's I paid $900 for a nice clean used bright stainless 4", with factory Pachmayers.
(I call it the Lea Pennick model)
I could likely get $1500+ for it now, but not selling.
Nice guns, It's hard to imagine anyone ever giving one up willingly.

lea_penick_american_hoggers_lokiu72E.sized

If looking for what they are actually selling for on Gunbroker, one must check the advanced search for sold items. Asking price is asking price, and not necessarily what anyone will pay. That said, Python's are quite valuable and after 30 years your friend has a chance of getting his money back. [smile]

I agree. You need to check the completed auctions on GB to see what people are actually paying. There are many Pythons that just sit on GB with no takers because they are over priced. It seems the market for them has leveled off in recent months. I think people are expecting to get market prices from 1- 2 years ago when the mkt peaked. Longterm they will continue to appreciate in value-- they don't make them anymore. And even if Colt decided to reintroduce them the quality would be nowhere near what it was.
I could see your friend getting $3300-4000 for his on GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to know a lot more about it before you can accurately price it. They year it was made, the exact Python model, the condition.

A Quick look in my book I only see a "Ultimate Python" in Royal Blue. .357 6" barrel specially tuned by the custom shop. Supplied with both Colt-Elliason target and Accor white outlined sighting systems.

If it is an Ultimate there should be two sets of grips, one rubber and one walnut.

Pricing assumes both sets of grips and sights
100% N/A 98% $2500 95% $2250 90% $1750.

Back in the late 90's I paid $900 for a nice clean used bright stainless 4", with factory Pachmayers.
(I call it the Lea Pennick model)
I could likely get $1500+ for it now, but not selling.
Nice guns, It's hard to imagine anyone ever giving one up willingly.

lea_penick_american_hoggers_lokiu72E.sized

I always figured you were a brunette...

How about the value of the Colt Cobra? This was the very first gun I bought 15 years ago. No box, no papers, some scratches from carrying it loose in my pocketbookcolt cobra.jpg. Probably wouldn't sell it because of sentimental value but I might put it in a velvet lined box if it's that valuable, lol.

How about the value of the Colt Cobra? This was the very first gun I bought 15 years ago. No box, no papers, some scratches from carrying it loose in my pocketbookView attachment 185925. Probably wouldn't sell it because of sentimental value but I might put it in a velvet lined box if it's that valuable, lol.
That's the AL alloy version of the Colt Detective Special - a gun as classic as the cherry bomb in the toilet.

I bought a new Colt Python 6" about 1966. It was when they first came out.

I could never shoot it well. It was too barrel heavy for me. I am of average size and strength.

My buddy could shoot his Ruger 44 mag. 6" better than me.

Then the barrels forcing cone cracked! I brought it up to Colt and watched them put on a replacement barrel for me, free.

I sold it and got a Ruger 45 Colt 6" and I could always shoot it well. I still have it and like it.

Back
Top Bottom