• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt preban AR question

I recently acquired this, and I never recalled seeing another model that came from the factory with a .22 conversion kit as an accessory. Was this a limited production run or something, or is it just another run of the mill Colt. Thanks in advance... pix165781126.jpg

I remember seeing the colt conversion kits back in the late 80s. No idea how well they worked. I supose to a collector if the box and papers are complete it might add value.
I'm guessing depending on when they offered the conversion kits with the rifle....did they add them to promote the kits or the rifles?
I would assume at certain times the conversion kits and the rifles had thier share of slow sales...
I don't remember many people buying ARs in the 80s

I own and have looked at many green label colts....ive never seen one with a .22 kit included.
IT makes me wonder how rare it is.

The Green Label R6600K was a R6600 H-Bar model with 20" barrel. The R6600K came with the .22 cal conversion kit but it did not have a bayonet lug like the R6600. Why the R6600 had the lug and the R6600K did not is a question for Colt. The green label guns were made long before the 1994 ban so you would figure that have the lug as well. Anyway, the R6600K you would think is worth more but it is shown with a $75 lower value than the R6600 in the Blue Book and seems to sell at a lower value on GB as well. I would assume it is because of the missing bayonet lug.

Did you call Colt or go to their website to check the serial? Only reason I'm chiming in is that a former gun store jag off sold me one that he said was pre-ban years ago. I called and found out it was made in '97. Said employee is now in jail (for selling guns off the books not the AR he sold me)

Edit: Yes it was K&R in Hudson, MA

Last edited:
Did you call Colt or go to their website to check the serial? Only reason I'm chiming in is that a former gun store jag off sold me one that he said was pre-ban years ago. I called and found out it was made in '97. Said employee is now in jail (for selling guns off the books not the AR he sold me)

Edit: Yes it was K&R in Hudson, MA

All green labels are pre ban. The blue label boxed guns can be post ban.

I own and have looked at many green label colts....ive never seen one with a .22 kit included.
IT makes me wonder how rare it is.

I thought a friend had one, so I called him and he said that was what he bought in 1990 from Collector's Coin Gallery in (Woburn?) So there's two we know about. Maybe an inquiry to Colt could tell you how many they made.

Back
Top Bottom