• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt H-Bar AR 15

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Looks like in the next few days, I will become the proud adoptive father of a well modified and used Colt Ar-15 HBAR rifle. From what I know about the gun, it is a standard A2 style from the early '80's that has been done over to match grade specs. (local high power teams, and several top 100 finishes at Camp Perry)

I've been searching for all kinds of AR info, but what I'd really like to know is the following:

On a well used AR rifle, what things should I look for that are known wear/abuse areas unique to the design?

What kind of "modifications" am I likely to find that differ from the stock variant that were popular in the late 80's early 90's?

Is there a preferred "Care and Feeding" kit that is popular today? (or specific items that should be in the tool kit)

I'm not one that usually picks up guns sight unseen, but this one is coming from a former club member that I know quite well that is looking to "weed out" and I was in the right place at the right time and we agreed on one HELL of a great price ($600 and he's throwing in 2k of his hand loaded match ammo to boot)

Should get it by the <coming Member only event> so I'll drag it along so someone who really knows these things can give it a once-over for me.

Geeze. Imagine. Me. The guy who swore he'd never own a poodle shooter getting himself a nice pre-ban Colt all set up for match shooting. (^_^)

And now for the important question. Is an AR "high power" enough for detonating Tannerite? (^_^)

Chris - I'm sorry to say it, but you got screwed. Can you still back out of the deal? Do so, and give me the seller's name and phone number - Ill give him a talking to for you! :)

On a well used AR rifle, what things should I look for that are known wear/abuse areas unique to the design?

Hard to say. Bolts are a disposable item and most guys typically replace them every other barrel. Some guys just shoot them till they break a lug and then ditch them. Barrels are also disposable. Sometimes gas rings need to be replaced, but they are at best a $3 item. Sometimes triggers need a little tune up with a stone.

What kind of "modifications" am I likely to find that differ from the stock variant that were popular in the late 80's early 90's?

Hard to say. Most likely free floated handguard, match trigger and sights and a barrel.

Is there a preferred "Care and Feeding" kit that is popular today? (or specific items that should be in the tool kit)

I'd get a field repair kit with a bunch of springs, a firing pin and firing pin retaining pins and an extractor and an ejector. Bushmaster sells them with a bunch of stuff you might need in a crunch.

B

Just put a JP Fire Control System (trigger, disconnector, hammer and springs) in one of my ARs with pretty good results. A little later in a conversation with JP they strongly recommended their oversized pins as part of the mod. I installed the oversized pins and immediately noticed an improvement in the trigger, crisper break. If you go for the JP Fire Control System, don't forget the oversized pins, they only cost $9.95.

I bought the JP kit from Brownells who didn't offer the JP oversized/anti-walk pins. This is no mystery as the anti-walk pins that they sell go for over $30! My next move is to make a strong complaint to Brownells. Actually, I should probably complain to JP as they should make the pins part of the kit.

Gammon, if you'd bought your Fire Contol System direct from JP and had them install it, they'd have included the oversized pins and Speed Hammer as a part of the package price.

They sure do make a slick product. It's addictive.

Back
Top Bottom