• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Competition vs. Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm

If the gun can't run out of the box that just doesn't make sense to me. If it wears premature I guess I'll be ok with that. It'll probably still be many years down the road. I hope to have some custom work done eventually anyways.

Just went through the manual again. No where does it say it lube etc before shooting for first time.
Your gun do what you want. But would you be ok with the frame galling after being shot out of the box? Lubrication elves don't sneak into gun shops at night lubricating guns. Oil dissipates over time. Moreover manufacturing leaves grit on gun parts that should be cleaned off and the gun should be inspected. Like always grease if it slides oil if it rotates before first use.

Last edited:
If the gun can't run out of the box that just doesn't make sense to me. If it wears premature I guess I'll be ok with that. It'll probably still be many years down the road. I hope to have some custom work done eventually anyways.

Just went through the manual again. No where does it say it lube etc before shooting for first time.
I wouldn't drive a car off the lot without any oil in it and then say it's unreliable if the engine seizes...

Your gun, your choice. I wouldn't deliberately take an action that has no benefit, is contrary to accepted practice, and has possibly some negative effects...if I scratch a gun with use, so be it, but I'm not throwing it onto the concrete intentionally.

Many of my manuals do mention lubricating it first time; it's kind of common sense. The only slight tweak to this rule that I know of is Glock puts specific grease in certain areas that you are not supposed to wipe off (but regular lubrication rules still apply).

ETA: I've seen new firearms with metal shavings still left in the chamber and barrel after machining. I'm not shooting that down the barrel without wiping it out.

for most 1911 owners, corrosion will destroy the gun faster than physical wear-and-tear.

I had to bump this thread. Im currently in the same boat as the OP, but I definitely want a .45 and considering the RO Elite versus the Colt Competition.

A couple weeks ago I was at the range and a "1911 guy" said to go with the Colt because Springfield GLUES their ejectors. Is this true? Something to be concerned about? I'm not too familiar with 1911's.

QC on the springfield armory 1911 is much better than Colt. I have a colt competition stainless currently in the classifieds that was a replacement pistol from Colt because the first one was so horribly out of spec they had to replace the entire gun. The only reason people buy colts is because of their name recognition. My guess is that most buyers never really shoot their modern production colt 1911's to see what garbage QC is like. That being said my Colt replacement 1911 is perfect. clearly was worked over and hand picked.

Guys are a little extreme eh? Throwing it on the concrete?! Cars obviously have what they require as most products do. So no oil? Come on...

And again not even a passing mention in the manual from the manufacturer.

Guys are a little extreme eh? Throwing it on the concrete?! Cars obviously have what they require as most products do. So no oil? Come on...

And again not even a passing mention in the manual from the manufacturer.
I think it's a valid analogy.
Cars are not designed to run without oil.
Generally, semi auto pistols are not designed to run without lubricant (however little).

I see no benefit to deliberately running a pistol without lubricant other than a torture test. And for that, there's ample people on YouTube with more disposable income to do that for me.

Cleaning a new gun prior to firing is the common, accepted practice. Do whatever makes you happy.

"Factory-fresh guns contain manufacturing residues to some degree or another, usually in the form of metal shavings and grinder grit held in place by oil or grease."
8 Checks to Run Before Firing Your New Gun
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10706

"Or it could turn out to be a total lemon. To keep that from happening, the first thing you must do is clean it! Most guns come coated with a rust-proofer. . Continue reading at: How To Break In A New Gun | Gun Belts Blog"

I wouldn't drive a car off the lot without any oil in it and then say it's unreliable if the engine seizes...

Your gun, your choice. I wouldn't deliberately take an action that has no benefit, is contrary to accepted practice, and has possibly some negative effects...if I scratch a gun with use, so be it, but I'm not throwing it onto the concrete intentionally.

Many of my manuals do mention lubricating it first time; it's kind of common sense. The only slight tweak to this rule that I know of is Glock puts specific grease in certain areas that you are not supposed to wipe off (but regular lubrication rules still apply).

ETA: I've seen new firearms with metal shavings still left in the chamber and barrel after machining. I'm not shooting that down the barrel without wiping it out.

For most commodity guns this is completely overblown and almost a waste of time. I just check to make sure the bore isn't blocked and shoot the guns,
straight out of the box. Whatever happens, happens.

For a 1911 though it's practically a necessity because if you look at the gun the wrong way it stops working. [rofl] My DW 1911 was the first new handgun I cleaned and lubed before shooting in like, a decade...

-Mike

For most commodity guns this is completely overblown and almost a waste of time. I just check to make sure the bore isn't blocked and shoot the guns,
straight out of the box. Whatever happens, happens.

For a 1911 though it's practically a necessity because if you look at the gun the wrong way it stops working. [rofl] My DW 1911 was the first new handgun I cleaned and lubed before shooting in like, a decade...

-Mike
I mentioned before, I doubt it would do much if any damage, especially on one trip. Nevertheless, other than time concerns I haven't heard a good argument against cleaning a new pistol. It just seems like a no brainer.

Not quite, they come with anti-corrosion measures for storage, not lubrication. If you read most manuals they will tell you to clean them before shooting them as they are coated to protect them sitting in boxes and shelves, not use.
Yup! Especially with a 1911.

for most 1911 owners, corrosion will destroy the gun faster than physical wear-and-tear.

QC on the springfield armory 1911 is much better than Colt. I have a colt competition stainless currently in the classifieds that was a replacement pistol from Colt because the first one was so horribly out of spec they had to replace the entire gun. The only reason people buy colts is because of their name recognition. My guess is that most buyers never really shoot their modern production colt 1911's to see what garbage QC is like. That being said my Colt replacement 1911 is perfect. clearly was worked over and hand picked.

While I disagree with a lot of your comments (I shoot my Comp Stainless often, as well as my AR-9), what was your original Colt 1911 doing that made it so horribly out of spec?

I get it guys I don't intentionally run them dry all the time. But that one I went right out of the box. Took it home then cleaned and lubed it. Zero failures etc in almost 500 rounds.

Last edited:

Crazy, when I first got into the hobby I heard that Colt was the 1911 to have. Like the Cadillac of 1911's.... apparently not.

Crazy, when I first got into the hobby I heard that Colt was the 1911 to have. Like the Cadillac of 1911's.... apparently not.
Pretty much every $500-$1200 or so 1911 manufacturer puts out lemons now and then. S&W, Ruger, RIA, Springfield, Colt, etc. I don't think I've seen/heard any in that range without issues here and there, just some tend to have more, I guess.

I've given serious consideration to a Dan Wesson 1911, but at the price point it's kind of tough to swallow for a "range toy."

Pretty much every $500-$1200 or so 1911 manufacturer puts out lemons now and then. S&W, Ruger, RIA, Springfield, Colt, etc. I don't think I've seen/heard any in that range without issues here and there, just some tend to have more, I guess.

I've given serious consideration to a Dan Wesson 1911, but at the price point it's kind of tough to swallow for a "range toy."
Call me crazy, but I rather just buy a bunch Glocks and a couple cases of ammo‍‍ *shrugs*

Call me crazy, but I rather just buy a bunch Glocks and a couple cases of ammo‍‍ *shrugs*
I own two guns I consider "tools." One is my G19 and one is my LCP 2. I don't particularly "like" either of them but they serve a purpose.
Maybe if I got an aftermarket trigger or other mods to my Glock I'd like it more. As of now, it's just a carry piece for me (although I ran it in USPSA once). I appreciate its low maintenance and incredible reliability.

My Remington R1 Enhanced is better put together than some Colts I've seen. Q.C. is really all over the place at guns under $1,200. SA is supposedly top dog for Q.C. under that price range though.

I shot my 1911 in the rain last week and then threw it In the trunk of my car for the week, should be good to go for competition this weekend as the owners manual didn't say anything about getting it wet, it only spent a couple of hours in the rain.

i bought a colt xse in .45 acp in 2015. i was impressed with fit and finish. the gun is tight as a drum, still needs to have the bushing wrench taken to it. i just liked the pistol and put it on my hit list. this past february i had it four years. i only run factory 230 gr. ball in it, hasn't seen a reload yet but i'm going to work up a 180 gr. swc for it soon. out of the box, it ejected cases that came back and hit me on the head. very annoying. i drove it up to lou at bec straight from the range and he adjusted the ejector. problem solved, but you hate to put a gun in the shop right out of the gate. another issue was a nit pick cosmetic thing. all the markings look like they were struck in...with such pressure that the metal that was displaced mushroomed up around the outside of the lettering. i'm so ocd it really bothers me to where someday i'll have it shaved down and have the slide reblued. but minor shit aside, i am fond of the pistol. photo is a poached one to show what it is.
719002983_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom