• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Competition vs. Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm

1911's tend to be more fussy than more modern designs. Not the they can't be reliable- they can. Sometimes it takes a little tinkering. I've also owned a 1911 that couldn't be made to run reliably even after multiple trips to the factory.

If you want boring reliability I think the Glock or the Sig are great choices. For a target gun I like a 1911.

"all I had to do was buy some springs, file this and that, swap out the mags and shoot one particular brand of ammo and I'm good to go."

This may be more the problem than the solution.
My last 2 purchases have been 9mm 1911's, Colt and Ruger. I just shoot them, a lot, actually, a real lot. They both run fine.

I'm no stranger to "tinkering" as milsurps are my primary area. The magazine on my Lee Enfield can have some little trouble on the last round, but considering it's 75 years old, I'll cut it some slack.

I guess I'll just see how what I end up getting works for me.

Interesting to know.
I've been planning on finally get a 1911, but in 45. I was leaning towards the Colt Competition but was considering a different Colt model. I was also interested in the Ruger SR1911 which I have shot before. I will admit part of me wants the Colt just because it is a Colt.
I really am concerned hearing about everyone's issues on the 1911s (although my understanding is that 9mm ones are less reliable).
My Sig P226 and Glock 19 run fine with no problems regardless of the ammo, etc.
It seems kind of crazy to spend $800 give or take and then say, "all I had to do was buy some springs, file this and that, swap out the mags and shoot one particular brand of ammo and I'm good to go." At that price, it should run right out of the box...
I'm not sure why some 1911s don't run well. Other than manufacturing issues or straying to fare from Brownings design.
I had a browning 1900 made in 1913 that functioned great , my 1911s run fine they are SW ones a base model with that aweful bill board laser imprinted slide the other is a PC model.
I shot a colt 1911 and 1911a1 a lot growing up and they ran with out issue. Even on the owners powder puff was semi cutters. I think Browning tosses a jinx at 1911s when trying to shoot 9mm that's what the hipower is for!

I’ve ordered a 10 & 12 lb spring to try. I agree, I think it’s oversprung.

I’ll report on results.

I changed mine to a full length guide rod and 12 lb spring. Still got one on the cheek. I may need a gas deflector.
cmmg-3_600.jpg

I'm not sure why some 1911s don't run well. Other than manufacturing issues or straying to fare from Brownings design.
I had a browning 1900 made in 1913 that functioned great , my 1911s run fine they are SW ones a base model with that aweful bill board laser imprinted slide the other is a PC model.
I shot a colt 1911 and 1911a1 a lot growing up and they ran with out issue. Even on the owners powder puff was semi cutters. I think Browning tosses a jinx at 1911s when trying to shoot 9mm that's what the hipower is for!
PC model?
The one I'm looking at is a pretty plain one, not straight up GI but pretty close.

PC model?
The one I'm looking at is a pretty plain one, not straight up GI but pretty close.
Performance Center 2008 picked it up after selling my 2005 model to fund a trap gun. Nice gun for the money at the time.
Some days I actual shoot it well. Its the only pistol other than my SW41 I can kee in the black at 50 yards

Performance Center 2008 picked it up after selling my 2005 model to fund a trap gun. Nice gun for the money at the time.
Some days I actual shoot it well. Its the only pistol other than my SW41 I can kee in the black at 50 yards
Ah, that's right, forgot about Performance Center.
I almost made a 1911 my first pistol but ended up getting a 9mm instead as I figured it would be better entry point.
Since then I've kept an envelope labeled "1911" that I put $5 or so into a week, but it's always ended up being used for other stuff (M1, AK, etc.). I have almost three rifles to every pistol I own, so I figured it's time for another.

I was at the Sig shop a few years ago and handled a bunch of their 1911s. The guy helping me was a lefty and carried one, he claimed he trained himself to sweep the safety off with his thumb on the left side of the slide when drawing. I've tried it a little with the LC9s which has a thumb safety (I don't carry it) and it's not as bad as I thought but definitely would require more training. I guess you could also carry Condition 3.

Ah, that's right, forgot about Performance Center.
I almost made a 1911 my first pistol but ended up getting a 9mm instead as I figured it would be better entry point.
Since then I've kept an envelope labeled "1911" that I put $5 or so into a week, but it's always ended up being used for other stuff (M1, AK, etc.). I have almost three rifles to every pistol I own, so I figured it's time for another.

I was at the Sig shop a few years ago and handled a bunch of their 1911s. The guy helping me was a lefty and carried one, he claimed he trained himself to sweep the safety off with his thumb on the left side of the slide when drawing. I've tried it a little with the LC9s which has a thumb safety (I don't carry it) and it's not as bad as I thought but definitely would require more training. I guess you could also carry Condition 3.
Some have argued browning designed the 1911 for left hand use for US calvery when they still used the cross or calvery draw originally Browning design had no thumb safety just grip safety or half cock safety. The thumb thing was added by military request. Honestly reading about JMB and the 1911 he was happy with the 1907 , 1910 design before the military said do this and that.
My great uncle said while in the sevice your pistol was to be carried empty chamber, safety on unless given the order to lock and load. He said once on the line he carried chambered , docked and safety off but said he was trained to sweep the safety no matter how you intend to carry.
I can swip the safety on my SW 1911 with my trigger finger.
I stopped carrying the 1911 after shooting a 2nd gen SW double stack 9mm. It just points much better for me on the draw. When I draw the 1911 with any speed it often will point a little off to the left because of the way it fits my grip. I carry either a SW 52 or a 4013

Update- The Colt continues to eject brass to my face and occasionally stovepipe. Yesterday we had a stoppage that rendered the gun non functional- extractor bent badly after a stove pipe. Cleared the case and managed to dis-assemble but the pistol can’t be re-assembled. Going back to Colt. Not good.

I have a 70 Competition 9. I have had zero issues with it. I now have about 500 rounds through it. The return springs are the original. I was surprised last time when I went to the range when I accidentally loaded my 45 magazines (mecger) with 9mm slapped it into the Colt and it still performed perfectly.

I did not notice any improvement in function with either a 12 or 10lb recoil spring in the Colt.

Colt was supposed to have sent a call tag by email yesterday. I’ll give them until tomorrow- I’ll have to call again if I don’t see it.

I’ve heard Colt’s customer service isn’t great. We’ll see.

Colt competition has been there for probably 3 weeks now. I got a letter the other day that it will be repaired under warranty and to expect it to take about a month.

I’ll report on how it runs when it’s returned.

The "ejector" bent on mine as well.I would guess 2-3000 rounds. I wasn't really clear on what happened, when it happened. Somehow I thought I did it jamming a mag in on a slide lock reload, but looking back, I think it was coincidence that the gun was empty when the bent ejector would not allow the slide to close. I had the local guy replace it. He said it was way too long, which I can agree with. He replaced it with one that is a more traditional length and gun is back up and seems to be running well.

Some have argued browning designed the 1911 for left hand use for US calvery when they still used the cross or calvery draw originally Browning design had no thumb safety just grip safety or half cock safety. The thumb thing was added by military request. Honestly reading about JMB and the 1911 he was happy with the 1907 , 1910 design before the military said do this and that.
My great uncle said while in the sevice your pistol was to be carried empty chamber, safety on unless given the order to lock and load. He said once on the line he carried chambered , docked and safety off but said he was trained to sweep the safety no matter how you intend to carry.
I can swip the safety on my SW 1911 with my trigger finger.
I stopped carrying the 1911 after shooting a 2nd gen SW double stack 9mm. It just points much better for me on the draw. When I draw the 1911 with any speed it often will point a little off to the left because of the way it fits my grip. I carry either a SW 52 or a 4013
You carry a S&W 52??

my colt competition 9mm stainless was launching brass to face nonstop. the extractor seemed loose. regardless of how much I tried to tighten it, the extractor seemed unable to get a good grab on the rim. I suspected the breech or extractor channel was out of spec, so sent it back to Colt for evaluation. sure enough they called me to offer a replacement pistol. since this is my 2nd 9mm 1911 and both had bad experiences, i told them to send me a stainelss model in 45acp. i know folks out there have good experiences with 9mm 1911's but i'm not one of these people.

seeing as I dropped like $900 for a POS, then had to send it back to colt in late February, now 2 months later I have a replacement that hopefully works. to say the least i'm not too impressed by colt. at least they replaced the pistol but like most other mfrs their QC is obviously craptastic.

I will say that the Colt is built loose while the Springfield is built tight. The Colt slide rattles on the frame. The Springfield frame is very tightly fitted. The chamber on the Springfield is VERY tight. I think it may even be tighter than spec because it will not chamber all factory ammo reliably. It wedges in the chamber out of battery and is a bastard to clear. This is kind of a pain- kind of forces you to use only the ammo brands that you know work. I’ve had to go to an undersized sizing die for reloads.

I have noticed very good accuracy from the Springfield. I attribute some of that to the sights and some of it to the tight fitting.

The Colt has shown good accuracy but nothing remarkable.

Still waiting on the repaired Colt.
This is hyper concerning...
I've been waffling on getting a Colt O1991 (Series 80), a Colt Competition or an RIA Tactical II (all in 45 acp).
I have wanted a Colt for a long time but if there seem to be this many issues, maybe the pony rollmark isn't worth it.

I'm trying to justify the cash on a Dan Wesson, but I don't think I can.

To be honest the Tactical II has pretty much everything the Colt Competition has (fiberoptic front sight, special grips, beavertail, adjustable rear sights, etc) only without the dual recoil system that I was not sold on anyway. In its place it has an ambi safety, which, as a lefty, is a plus. Despite being a non-USA made "budget" gun, I seem to find mostly praise for RIA's 1911s. It's almost $300 less than the Colt Competition.
Does it look as nice as the Colt? I'd say no; the G10 grips in the Colt blue are more aesthetically pleasing to me and the finish looks nicer on the Colt. But I'm starting to have serious doubts on the Colt...

I called this week. It shows as still in the shop for repair per the rep I spoke with. No ETA available.

I had a horrid experience with a Rock Island subcompact 1911 that wouldn’t run but their service was quick. After a couple tries to fix it (not successful) they gave up and replaced it.

Good news. My phone call must have prompted something because my pistol arrived today. Seems in order. I’ll test fire it tomorrow.

Good news. My phone call must have prompted something because my pistol arrived today. Seems in order. I’ll test fire it tomorrow.
Hope it works out well.

I'd be going for a plain old 5in .45 1911, so I wonder if they would have less problems across all manufacturers, from RIA to Colt, etc.

Let us know how the range test goes.

Range test went great. 250 rounds without any problems. Ejection is fixed- nicely to the right side. The pistol shoots accurately.

My Springfield Armory rear sight shot loose again though even after I used loc tire. Now that my Colt is back i’ll Give them a call. It’s a ridiculously sloppy fit in the slide. Without the set screw if you turn the pistol on it’s side it falls out.

Interesting because the rest of that pistol is very tightly fitted.

Attachments

• 8F25159D-EC26-46B9-8C85-EF3356C2B6DC.jpeg
    8F25159D-EC26-46B9-8C85-EF3356C2B6DC.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 23
I recently picked up a Springfield RO . I'm impressed with it so far. Its accurate and has run without any issues. Its fit and finish are on par with some of the more expensive pistols I've shot . If my back sight falls off I'll come back and edit my post but 2 thumbs up as of now.

Back
Top Bottom