• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

colt competition series 38 super legal in Mass??

AndyJM58

NES Member
Hello,
Getting conflicting info....is the Colt Competition Series 1911 legal and available in Mass?

Thank you

Hello,
Getting conflicting info....is the Colt Competition Series 1911 legal and available in Mass?

Thank you
What sources of conflicting info are you getting? They are on "the roster".

As to the "legal" question.....you'll never get arrested for possessing a handgun not on that God damn roster.

A 1911 in 38 super is a thing of beauty. It is a fantastic combo.

That said it can be a pain to find. So, if you don’t reload.. consider starting if you go that route.
This. If you don’t reload, you’ll be spending a ton of money on ammo.

I can't see it in .38 super though if you don't reload already in that caliber. In uspsa single stack it's not a major caliber so there's no advantage. In idpa it is only esp which is cheaper to shoot in 9mm. I really don't see any advantage over 9mm then.

A 1911 in 38 super is a thing of beauty. It is a fantastic combo.

That said it can be a pain to find. So, if you don’t reload.. consider starting if you go that route.
It is a great combo.....after you get it to run, but then so is the 9mm. Factor in the Aftec extractor, Tripp mags, rimless brass and associated equipment to load them with that you'll end up needing to make it reliable and the small performance gain over 9 just isn't worth it. IMHO, that money is much better spent on several cases of 16 cent 9mm. That being said, my two favorite 1911's are in Super....they just don't get shot anymore.

I own it because it was a great price and it is a classic gun.
Don’t care about what it costs to shoot and I’m not getting back into reloading.

This. If you don’t reload, you’ll be spending a ton of money on ammo.

Whats .38 super brass go for?
And then theres .38 super and .38 super comp?
It can't be inexpensive or easy to come by, watched a couple of guys almost come to blows about 2 years back because they had marked all their brass. Seems to be the go-to caliber for open shooters.

Back in the 1960s-70s, 3-gun NRA matches were all the rage. They shot .38 Super (expensive and expensive guns even back then), .45ACP (1911) and .22LR (typically S&W 41 or High Standard Victor) back then. As I recall there seemed to be only a handful of commercial model guns in .38 Super and it was strictly serious target shoot competitors who bought/used them.

What sources of conflicting info are you getting? They are on "the roster".

As to the "legal" question.....you'll never get arrested for possessing a handgun not on that God damn roster.

Untrue. If you have a handgun which runs afoul of the AWB, you certainly can be arrested.

Legal...yes.
Available...not sure.
Legal in South and Central American countries. Probably why still produced. Not a "military caliber" so legal in those countries that prohibit them. If you own a boat and travel internationally, it may well be a good choice for a boat gun.
Legal...yes.
Available...not sure.
I heard that they are popular in border states because they are legal in Mexico. Bought there and transported south of the border. Maybe one can be ordered from Texas, Arizona or New Mexico if possible and the price is right.

Back
Top Bottom