• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt / armalite AR10 ?

Who can school me on this rifle ?

It’s a true preban rifle. It had never been fired and the serial number is low!

Attachments

• 6AB9A8FA-D51B-4FFB-A018-0131B2E86B2D.jpeg
    6AB9A8FA-D51B-4FFB-A018-0131B2E86B2D.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 73D68E23-F4A8-42A1-B686-49196FF15FBE.jpeg
    73D68E23-F4A8-42A1-B686-49196FF15FBE.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 12
The receivers were apparently made by gentleman named Duke Ballenge who then put parts kits onto them.
So, as for the receiver, it's not a Colt or Armalite. I found another AR-10 on a receiver he made serialed in the 7000s range, so if his numbering was consistent, he made several thousand in the 80s.

The receivers were apparently made by gentleman named Duke Ballenge who then put parts kits onto them.
So, as for the receiver, it's not a Colt or Armalite. I found another AR-10 on a receiver he made serialed in the 7000s
range, so if his numbering was consistent, he made several thousand in the 80s.

Now THAT is interesting. Thank you

So, as for the receiver, it's not a Colt or Armalite. I found another AR-10 on a receiver he made serialed in the 7000s range, so if his numbering was consistent, he made several thousand in the 80s.

What part of the gun led you to that info????

What part of the gun led you to that info????
I googled Central KY Arms and found an auction for a full auto AR-10 with the same manufacturer. Then used the results from that auction to search the guy some more.

From a 2016 post on machinegun boards:
"The maker is well known for the (semiauto) AR10 lower receivers they made in the 1980's.

Those lowers were made of steel and weighed a bunch."

I googled Central KY Arms and found an auction for a full auto AR-10 with the same manufacturer. Then used the results from that auction to search the guy some more.

From a 2016 post on machinegun boards:
"The maker is well known for the (semiauto) AR10 lower receivers they made in the 1980's.

Those lowers were made of steel and weighed a bunch."
Yea it’s heavy for sure

Have you seen ammo prices? No one can afford to shoot that, you'd be lucky to get 500

Just curious about the history, rarity and other interesting info anyone may have

FYI - Colt never made the Armalite AR-10. Armalite only made a very small number for military testing and most original "Armalite AR-10" rifles were made by a Dutch company, AI, under license. One of the salesmen who was marketing both the AR-10 and AR-15 in the late 50s, early 60s found that while he was always finding interest in the AR-15, most potential clients passed on the AR-10. He ended up giving his supply of 7.62 NATO away in the Philippines and called Colt to tell them to not tool up to make the AR-10 and instead focus on the AR-15.

An actual pre-1994 Armalite or AI-license copy AR-10 would be worth quite a lot because it would probably be in full-auto, like this one that sold for $6900 as a dealer sample:

***DS ARMALITE AR-10 PORTUGUESE MODEL MANUFACTURED BY AI NEDERLAND PRE 86 DEALER SAMPLE. - James D. Julia, Auctioneers

Edit: and here's a transferrable AI AR-10 machine gun that sold for $34,500:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/57/1760/artillerieinrichtengen-ar10-machine-gun-762-mm-nato

FYI - Colt never made the Armalite AR-10. Armalite only made a very small number for military testing and most original "Armalite AR-10" rifles were made by a Dutch company, AI, under license. One of the salesmen who was marketing both the AR-10 and AR-15 in the late 50s, early 60s found that while he was always finding interest in the AR-15, most potential clients passed on the AR-10. He ended up giving his supply of 7.62 NATO away in the Philippines and called Colt to tell them to not tool up to make the AR-10 and instead focus on the AR-15.

An actual pre-1994 Armalite or AI-license copy AR-10 would be worth quite a lot because it would probably be in full-auto, like this one that sold for $6900 as a dealer sample:

***DS ARMALITE AR-10 PORTUGUESE MODEL MANUFACTURED BY AI NEDERLAND PRE 86 DEALER SAMPLE. - James D. Julia, Auctioneers

Edit: and here's a transferrable AI AR-10 machine gun that sold for $34,500:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/57/1760/artillerieinrichtengen-ar10-machine-gun-762-mm-nato
Thanks for that.... knowledge is power!

Back
Top Bottom