Colt ar15 a2 thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

Hey guys I was thinking of buying one of the colt ar15 a2 models at four seasons both for around the same amount 1400 ball park one says .223 the other says .223 rem now I'm not a rifle guy i don't know much about rifles besides I own a few and would like a colt but I would like some input from the more experienced rifle guys or anyone who has one or thinks its a must have. I am looking for an ar15 20" size and I like the a2 configuration so please help! I know the colt name carries a little more of a price tag

I was interested in the Colt A2 last year, too. I wanted a starter AR, for target. I liked the classic look with the A2 stock (and don't have to pin an adjustable one in MA). But I DON'T like the fixed handle...it precludes most sight/scope upgrades. So I looked around for went with a Stag Model 4, an "A3" style -- removable handle, and a decent muzzle brake. Very happy with it. Oh yeah, and only $800 new from Northshore Firearms. Still, a Colt is always cool.

Fixed handle models are not as adaptable as flat tops. Optics are much easier to use on flat tops. For that reason, I would also expect lower resale values on A2s

I was also looking at the stag model 3 ones but I like iron sights I would buy a bushmaster or stag if I was going to heavily mod it out. I just don't know much out on the market for AR platforms so what would be the best bang for my buck period mods or not

....I like iron sights....

Good man.

The only think to watch out for on the Colt's is the non-standard trigger and take-down pins, and the sear block that can get in the way of some upgraded triggers.

What is it that you like about the classic A2 model? What are you going to do with this rifle?

I don't want to sway your opinion away from it if that's what you've got your heart set on. I know Colt makes good stuff. But *to me* $1400 is a lot of money for a no frills match/target AR.

Before buying any AR-15, I'd spend a few hours researching the (literally) millions of options available, from other manufacturers' complete or customized rifles, to "rolling your own," to "buying experienced."

Seriously - spend some time at ar15.com checking out the forums and build pic threads, and peruse the sites of the likes of: RRA, DPMS, S&W, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Stag Arms, LMT, Bushmaster, BCM, Wilson Combat, Armalite, Daniel Defense and any of dozens of others. Pick up a buyer's guide at the WalMart magazine rack.

You might find there are certain features or options available which you didn't know about, above and beyond the 'classic' A2 design.

The beauty of the AR-15 platform is that it is so customizable. Lots of guys buy a basic AR-15, then end up replacing half of it to change out stocks, triggers, grips, sights/optics, fore-ends, etc. By the time they're done they end up spending a boatload more to get what they really wanted than if they'd spent some (free) time researching first. I'm a big-time believer in "Do it right the first time."

If you do all the research and still want the A2, then by all means get it & buy with confidence. I'm sure it's a quality piece.

Last edited:
f Colt and their extra civilian mods

The large, screw together front take down pin is an atrocity

Plus,

block blind pinned in the rear of the receiver
odd sized (large) fire control group pins
half circle nurtured bolt carrier

I bought one as my first AR and all these BS features really annoyed me. Sold it and bought a preban Bushmaster and got a carbine upper from LMT too. There are plenty of high quality manuf. out there like LMT, Bushmaster, & Armalite.

Last edited:
In my mind the only thing match/target grade on them is the name. [thinking]

If they are asking $1400 clams, that is just silly money. No one seriously shoots any kind of HP with a stock Colt. Don't know about other sports or what your goal of target shooting is. I think RRA, Bushmaster and Armalite CMP/NM style rifles are pretty good bang for the buck if you like to shoot small groups.

B

So what I'm gathering so far is that if I went out and bought a stag or bushmaster I can make it look like the a2 style BUT still have the ability to switch parts out if I wanted to through a optic and battle rail? I'm just not a fan of the m4 style of moveable stocks well pinned in mass but something about that full size look is appealing...Im just embarrassed to say I'm a terrible shot with my fathers bushmaster iron sites and I believe you should master iron before throwing optics on..also if anyone can offer tips on how to best shoot or hold or whatever I'm all ears...most of the time you can run into me at the Woburn mass rifle but I'm just a handgun guy!

Check out the CMP clinic in Nashua, they'll show you the basic fundimentals.

I think you have received some good advice here, and I think that I get where you are coming from. First of all I think you are going for the classic AR "look", which the A2 has. For this I would definitely recommend the A3 style (flat top) upper because you can have the "look" with a removable carry handle, while retaining the easy ability to add a scope, or red dot optic if/when you want. I went this route myself because I love the traditional carry handle look. As far as the Colt goes, you are definitely paying the "brand premium" for that name, but not necessarily getting a better rifle than some of the other fine makers out there these days. I decided mainly because of my budget that the only way I was going to have a top shelf rifle with all of the features I wanted would be to build it. This allowed me to buy parts as deals came along and do exactly the way I wanted after spending over a year reading every book and website I could find on the subject. If you want the A2 stock, it can easily be added to replace the collapsible stock on any rifle you buy if you choose not to build, but honestly it is quite easy if you take the time to research how they go together, operate, etc. It truly is a modular platform.

I was recently reunited with an AR15 A2 H-Bar that I bought in the 80s. After the CT AWB went into effect, I moved it to a friends house out of state. Now its in my safe in MA, waiting for my LTC.

It is a great, fun gun to shoot.
However, it suffers from the political correctness that existed in that era. The front "pin" is actually a screw. And its a "large hole" gun, so you can't swap uppers and lowers around like you can with something else.

I even still have the original "green label" box and all the stuff that came iwth it.

Also, the bolt carrier is neutered in a way that you can't use a DIAS or lightning link.

Even still, its one of my guns that i don't ever see myself selling. My only regret is that I didn't spend the extra ~$400 for an M16 at the time I bought it. (crazy huh?)
The other crazy thing is if I had bought an M16, rather than an AR, I'd have been able to keep it in CT without registering it as an AW.

Don

One "bad" thing about an A2 is you are stuck with the carry handle, which sucks if you want to mount an optic. So if you are going to mount one down the road, you may decide to replace the upper reciever with something that sucks less.

- - - Updated - - -

However, it suffers from the political correctness that existed in that era. The front "pin" is actually a screw. And its a "large hole" gun, so you can't swap uppers and lowers around like you can with something else.

Yes you can, you just need an offset pin. Just make sure you put at least weak loctite on the pin screw though... otherwise it will unscrew itself while you are shooting the gun. Just ask Dench. [laugh]

-Mike

I used to have a Colt A2 back in the 90's and as mentioned here multiple times, the non removable handle kind sucked for mounting any optics...I sold it a few years later and then about three years ago picked up a Bushmaster A3 style w/ a 20" heavy barrel, but also came with the A2 handle as well so you can use it with iron sights...it's really everything the Colt was as far as reliability, accuracy and fun to shoot and it is what the Colt wasn't...easily modifiable & easy to put optics on it. I know there are Bushmaster nay sayers out there but I paid a bit over $800 for mine (Colts are hundreds more for the same basic thing) and it has never let me down once (unless it was my fault).

Last edited:
So what are some similar style rifles that have the look but the detachable handle on it if I want optics? And I'm talking looks similar right out of the box does stag offer anything? And what model of the stag offers a rounded front end? Is it the model 3?

So what are some similar style rifles that have the look but the detachable handle on it if I want optics? And I'm talking looks similar right out of the box does stag offer anything? And what model of the stag offers a rounded front end? Is it the model 3?

Not really sure what you mean by "rounded front end", do you have any pics? Another option if you aren't comfortable with the idea of building one is to take a trip to Remsport in Ludlow and have John build you one with the exact style you are seeking. He has thousands of parts in house to build practically any configuration you want.

One "bad" thing about an A2 is you are stuck with the carry handle, which sucks if you want to mount an optic. So if you are going to mount one down the road, you may decide to replace the upper reciever with something that sucks less.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can, you just need an offset pin. Just make sure you put at least weak loctite on the pin screw though... otherwise it will unscrew itself while you are shooting the gun. Just ask Dench. [laugh]

-Mike

Oh shoot, I forgot.

Am I correct that you can't use large hole upper on a small hole lower? Or would you just use a bushing of some kind.

Not really sure what you mean by "rounded front end", do you have any pics? Another option if you aren't comfortable with the idea of building one is to take a trip to Remsport in Ludlow and have John build you one with the exact style you are seeking. He has thousands of parts in house to build practically any configuration you want.

The round handrail is what I believe he was referring to, not sure which model stag has it though

This might be what he's talking about. I'm a big fan of a "monorail". Since I prefer not to hang stuff off my rifle, it gives a nice smooth grip, without all the rails getting in the way.

This one is made by troy. Its on my preban SBR

rifle.jpg

This might be what he's talking about. I'm a big fan of a "monorail". Since I prefer not to hang stuff off my rifle, it gives a nice smooth grip, without all the rails getting in the way.

This one is made by troy. Its on my preban SBR

rifle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Colt is a top notch AR. I have the A2 model also as I don't care for all the tacticool crap some guys have hanging off their rifles. As to the .223 / 5.56 thing, check the underside of the barrel and see if it is marked 5.56. If it is, then don't worry if it says .223 on the side of the lower. The barrel is the important thing.

I bought mine a year and a half ago for $1,100 so 1,400 seems steep to me. Maybe with the election coming up thats the going price now. I saw the same one I have at State Line for 1,250 a couple months ago, so you might be able to get a better price.

Back
Top Bottom