• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt AR Armorers Course?

Anyone know of an upcoming Colt armorers course in MA? Anyone interested in hosting one?

TIA

-PM

Hi,

I'd check with Colt and see what they might have scheduled and also broaden the search to CT and NH as well as MA.

Somewhere I thought I saw a list of various armorer courses, but I can't recall where now that I'm trying to remember. Now if you had asked me before the IACP Expo, I might have been able to find out there. [wink]

Also check MPTC to see if they run one. No promises, but if they do, I can at least ask a favor and see if they'd let you take it.

Len

Thanks Len. I would have asked, but I bug you enough as it is...

I've done a pretty good search, coming up with a few courses in VA, CA (of all places) and one in CT.

I may give Colt a call next week and see what the requirements are for hosting an armorers course. Then see if a friendly department woud be able to help out. I bet we coul find 12-20 people in our area willing to pay $300 for quality insruction.

As always, thanks again.

-PM

PM,

No problem!

Since NEShooters (different group of folks) is bringing Jeff Gonzales back to teach Combative Carbine next year and a certain NH PD is a motivating force behind this course, I think there may be a possibility of getting some interest up there.

Contact Jim Conway via Email (he rarely drops by here) off this forum or off his website www.neshooters.com and ask to contact the NH officer I'm referring to (I'm blanking on his name right now) wrt this topic. Tell Jim that you're a friend of mine.

Give me a shout or drop by BR&P today ~12:30PM. I'll be on the outdoor range (RO duty) until 1PM then either shooting there or in the new clubhouse. Ask anyone wearing a tin badge saying "BR&P Range Officer" on it to point me out or give me a call (forwarded to cell).

I would be interested in a colt armorers course as well. Does it have to be colt? Bushmaster /Blackwater just had 2 in MA and 1 in VT in the last 45 days or so. I missed those but am still trying to find one.

I'd like to do the Colt specific course, but I would be open to taking a look at the others...

Stinx, did you take the one in Burlington? Was it by invitation only?

yes, L/E only. It was a great class. I belive they are L/E only beacuse they deal with Full auto almost exclusively. Very little time was spent on the semi auto versions.

If you hear that they may be doing it again, or another department nearby, please let me know.

1) Did they have a hard time filling the spots, or did it fill up quickly?

2) Did you feel like you learned enough to repair and maintain most AR issues on your own?

Thanks again,
PM

From another site:

Day One
1 hour Brief history, design, nomenclature, variants, features and controls
1 hour Field disassembly, reassemble and function check
1 hour Theory and cycle of operation
2 hours Complete and detailed disassembly, parts identification
3 hours Reassembly and inspection
Day Two
1.5 hours Complete and detailed disassembly
1 hour Removal and installation of barrel and front sight assembly
1.5 hours Design changes and parts interchangeability
2 hours Reassembly and inspection
1 hour Headspace, firing pin protrusion, gas tube alignment inspections
1 hour Fire control theory, design and unauthorized modifications.
Day Three
1 hour Maintenance and trouble shooting
45 min Application of specific models
30 min Rifle disassembly
1.5 hours Rifle reassembly and inspection
1 hour Written Test
1 hour Test-Disassembly of Rifle
1.5 hours Test-Reassembly of Rifle
15 min Instructor/course evaluation

Each graduate will gain a complete understanding of the design theory, nomenclature, dynamics, compatibility, interchangeability, detailed disassembly, assembly, maintenance and trouble-shooting of the M16/AR-15 family of weapons including rifles, carbines, and sub-machine guns.

1.The class was filled to capicity. It filled quickly I was told.
2. I am confident that I could fix most issues. They went over barrell swapping but did not recomend the average Police armorer do it. The practical test we had was they give you three different full auto guns, all were assembled incorrectly. You had to fix the problem within a time limit. They were very good about most other manufacturers guns. They did crap all over one particular brand, the name escapes me but it was not Bushmaster. They also explained there is a huge differnce between the Military and Police weapons versus the civillain versions. They may all appear the same, but the Police and Military guns are held to much higher quality standards then the commercial guns.I personally would never buy a recent production comercial version of the Colt.THe older ones are much better.

They probably crapped on Olympic Arms. From what I've heard (including from a former employee/armorer), it is well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom