• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt 901 Modular Carbine .308/.223 - Interesting concept

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Was doing a little reading on the new Colt 901 they are coming out with. Seems to be easily converted form .308 to .223 and back again. Just have to change the recoil spring and manipulate an internal adapter to allow for the different mag size in the lower, slap on you favorite upper and away you go with either caliber. Wonder if it will be as good as what they say it will be.

Never underestimate a legend, and that legend is Colt. At first glance you would think that the Colt 901 is just a .308 Win./7.62 NATO version of a standard AR-15, much like any other .308 AR out there, but it is a lot more than that. The Colt LE901-16S is a “Modular Carbine,” which means it can be adapted to any AR-15 platform upper. This isn’t a new concept, because there are of course a whole bunch of different caliber uppers for ARs. The difference is in all the other ones, they have adapted a standard size AR magazine to boutique calibers and cartridge designs. The Colt 901 is different. It can be adapted from .308/7.62, using standard P-Mags, to .223/5.56, using standard AR mags, and back again, in literally seconds. The design uses one proprietary part, and you have to swap out the recoil system. It is that simple, and it works fantastic.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/colt-901-modular-308-223-carbine-new-gun-review-le901-16s/

I don't like modular firearms, I don't see the point. Most likely it has added bulk/gizmos to be able to adapt to the sizes.

Sounds like they designed a lower reciever that can support 7.62x51mm P-mags in the magwell, but still supports standard AR-15 uppers. Then designed a 7.62x51mm upper that will fit on their new reciever.

I'd rather have a .223/5.56x45 upper for my AR-10, but the compatibility with the wide range of available AR-15 uppers does have some advantages.

About 10 years back there was a military research grant for the development of a lower reciever that was compatible with the M-4 upper reciever but able to support both a magazine fed 7.62x51mm designated marksmen rifle and a magazine fed precision bolt action rifle to allow DMs and Snipers to carry single weapon system that would serve them as both a select fire carbine and a precision long-range engagement rifle with an upper change rather than carrying to weapons. I wonder if this is a commerical product based on that research.

Back
Top Bottom