Colt 6920 Carbine Trigger

I went to the range for a bit today with my 6920... and the trigger felt like crap. [thinking] All that has been done to it is a light polishing on contact surfaces (no material removal). It has a heavy dragging pull to it, then breaks when you wouldn't expect. I didn't seem to have this problem before. I did put grease on the contact surfaces last time I had it apart... is this a bad idea for an AR trigger?

I'm considering getting a 2-stage for this gun instead of what's in it, even though I wanted to keep it all stock.

I am replacing my 6920 trigger. It's not worth the effort in my opinion to attempt to make it less shitty.

I am replacing my 6920 trigger. It's not worth the effort in my opinion to attempt to make it less shitty.

At least I know I'm not the only one that is less than thrilled with it. I have a white oak-tuned RRA trigger in a full length AR that feels nice. Might go with another of those.

Now, the question of the day is... does Colt still have their whole "proprietary trigger pin holes" thing going, like my old Colt does? [laugh]

-Mike

WOA Catalog PDF

Looks like $135 for the large pin version. RRA sells the triggers for $120 on their site so with the tuning done also it seems like a nice deal. The one I have feels smooth but I haven't tried any of the more fancy types like geissele. I wouldn't really want one with adjustable parts and a 5 oz trigger anyway. [laugh]

Last edited:
Here are two large-pin trigger kits at Brownells. I have used both. The JP is a very nice single stage, while the Geissele trigger is a refined, precise 2-stage. If you have a sear block you may need to do a little machining or dremmel work prior to installation, and even then some fitting of the safety/trigger engagement may be necessary. I have installed one of each of Geissele and JP in Colt large-pin lowers, both with sear blocks, and both function perfectly.

This might be good to add: this would be my SHTF rifle, I have an optic and buis mounted on it. I want it to be a no-fuss always goes bang rifle. But I don't want a cruddy trigger either of course. Is there any reason a 2-stage wouldn't serve well for this purpose?

I have ARs with stock triggers, a JP, and a few Geissele's. Just looking carefully at the trigger / hammer / disconnector setup of each of them I don't see any obvious reason why one might fail faster than another. The only trigger related malfunction I have ever experienced came from a blown primer being jammed under the trigger and that happened with a standard trigger.

The best answer would come from a nice large-sample scientific test, and my few data points are not worth much. But speaking for myself, I don't worry about any of these triggers failing faster than another due to some weakness inherent to their design.

I just attended a Colt M-4 armorers class last week. Colts recomendation was to not install a two stage trigger on guns that will see high round counts. The instructor specifically mentioned Rock River arms and that the DEA is breaking alot of hammers and trigger parts.YMMV

I just attended a Colt M-4 armorers class last week. Colts recomendation was to not install a two stage trigger on guns that will see high round counts. The instructor specifically mentioned Rock River arms and that the DEA is breaking alot of hammers and trigger parts.YMMV

That's helpful. Thanks.

I am no expert, but I wonder if broken hammer / trigger parts speak more to quality of materials from RRA than to weaknesses in design. Just for example, the likelihood of a broken hammer would seem to have little to do with whether the trigger is a two-stage design.

That's helpful. Thanks.

I am no expert, but I wonder if broken hammer / trigger parts speak more to quality of materials from RRA than to weaknesses in design. Just for example, the likelihood of a broken hammer would seem to have little to do with whether the trigger is a two-stage design.

I was wondering this too. The stock colt's parts are supposedly the same specs as would be made for the military. This would mean all material, hardness, etc specs. With general market 2 stages none of that data may be available.

That's helpful. Thanks.

FWIW, Rock River puts out a very nice trigger. Always consider the source - Colt trainer saying something bad about RRA? Never! How many rounds would DEA be putting through their rifles anyway?

Last edited:
The istructor wasnt shittting on Rock River, he was just letting people know. He also has pictures of the broken parts. He agreed the trigger pull of the Rock River was nice.

RRA two stage is known to break after a lot of rounds. A match trigger is not required on a fighting carbine, but it's your money. Personally, I am happy with the original triggers in both of my Colt Sporter lightweight lowers. I also have a replacement "large pin" FCG set just in case.

I think a Stock Trigger should remain in a Colt 6920. The Colt 6920 is about the top in Combat / Tactical M-4s and therefore should remain stock with the internals. Why mess with something like it. Try the modified Triggers in the so-called "Hobby Guns" or the dedicated Match/Target/High Power guns. The 6920 is designed to have a durable, never fail trigger, like the Military M-4. Just my .02

I think a Stock Trigger should remain in a Colt 6920. The Colt 6920 is about the top in Combat / Tactical M-4s and therefore should remain stock with the internals. Why mess with something like it. Try the modified Triggers in the so-called "Hobby Guns" or the dedicated Match/Target/High Power guns. The 6920 is designed to have a durable, never fail trigger, like the Military M-4. Just my .02

I'd agree with you if the trigger wasn't terrible. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom