• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt 3-Man 3-Gun

I'm right there with you. I hit all the 200+ targets this time, but I can't help but wonder if seeing more would have helped do it faster. I certainly couldn't see my misses clearly at 220 and 260 yard targets.

Shotgun sights are a sore point for me too; mine are way too short, and I have to aim at the target stand (or flinch very hard) to hit. Time to play with the stock shims... Hope yours work out. Do you shoot Open, or is the VCS un-ported?

My 11-87 was shooting high. slugs were the hardest. The VCS barrel is unported. Hans had a special going so I had one done for my 11-87 and one for my 870. We will see if it made a difference. I still have the barrels I took off with screw in chokes The sights are adjustable for windage end elevation. I hope to zero at 50

Last edited:
I shot Topton last year with my 1-4. Another shooter friend shot Topton with 2-somnething with the Duek sights for the short stuff. Now, he is a MUCH better shooter than I am but he went 1 for 1 on the 200 yard stages using higher power.

Mark didn't put the Duek sights on until the winter. He uses a Luepold 3-9X with I think a 1 minute dot.

Mark didn't put the Duek sights on until the winter. He uses a Luepold 3-9X with I think a 1 minute dot.

What did he have before the Dueck? I saw him tilting on the short stuff. anyway, I got the dot out of my system and will just use it now on my 22LR AR.

As always thanks see you in a month or so :-(

What did he have before the Dueck? I saw him tilting on the short stuff. anyway, I got the dot out of my system and will just use it now on my 22LR AR.

As always thanks see you in a month or so :-(

He ran a C-More. I think last year Dean didn't care about a second optic.

It was really a fantastic match, and has me hooked on 3-Gun pretty well.

Only a few of our stages actually went well, but even the ****-ups were really fun (which doesn't seem to always be the case). There's a ton of stuff we need to practice for next time (shooting the shotgun, reloading the shotgun, slugs with the shotgun, not running out of ammo for the shotgun, etc).

The Open Prize table was genius. I'm not sure if they intended to shoot Open, or put too many shells in a shotgun or what, but the table seemed a good consolation.

3 gun is addictive, but, obviously some folks are afraid of it.[grin] Once you get the shotgun stuff down, the rest seems so easy. (kind of)

Saw the results, ScottB from here and his team mates #11 over all and they even won a stage. Congrats to all that attended. Wish I could have gone.

Nice. I saw them finish well, but didn't realize they had a stage win. Nice job guys!

Thanks Gary and Jeff.

We had a very solid match Saturday. Dennis Doti (First Defense Firearms Inc.) and Andy Macgray (all around good guy and team social director) were great teammates and I was honored that they asked me to join team 'First Defense'. We got behind after the first match - my rifle shooting hurt us on the long range stage. I made some changes and the results were much better. I ran a 1x4 Trijicon for the first match and it just didn't have enough magnification for me. I ended up running a 3x9 Burris with a Ballistic plex reticle that allowed me to quickly adjust for range variations. Although I didn't need them Saturday I also run Dueck backup iron sights. I'd like to thank Dan Serapina and Mark Mazzotta for their advice - I really appreciate it (and used it). Andy and Dennis are both very good rifle shooters and used 1x4s (Meopta and Trijicon). Overall I think Saturdays match was weighted towards shotgun but the rifle stage could easily ruin your day. The whole thing was a little out of my comfort zone but I learned alot and it was a lot of fun.

PS:

I really want to throw out a thank you to Dave Santurri. He was very busy and found time to do some important work on my shotgun when I know he really didn't have the time - Thanks Dave.

Back
Top Bottom