• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt 1911

Looking for someone who knows a fair ammount about early colt 1911's I purchased one today and I want to see if I can get additional information on it. I had it appraised today and the person who looked at it only deals with mil surp and said it was a great piece.

With that being said so far all I can find is the manufacture date of somewhere between 1918 and 1919, is there anywhere I can get additional info about the gun? looking for stamp meaning (I know there is an AA stamped on it Augusta Arsenal) there is also stippling on the grips that I was told was done by GI's. If anyone is interested I can email pictures or text them.

Thank you

This is a firearms forum...I'm pretty sure the majority of us are interested. Especially the guys that hang around the milsurp subforum. Post some pics we'd all love to see the piece. Then I would assume people will begin to offer up information that may be jogged in their mind. Enjoy it. That's a piece of history

If you can get a hand on Charkes Clawson's book Colt .45 Government Model it will tell you a lot. Does the serial number start or end with the letter C ?

You need to post pics for meaningful responses. Detailed pics, like of the markings. Never really heard of GIs stippling things, but I'd love to see pics.

You need to post pics for meaningful responses. Detailed pics, like of the markings. Never really heard of GIs stippling things, but I'd love to see pics.

See my post to Greg Certs thread above. There is something about stippling and clear pictures of the 1911 of a Marine aviator which was.

See my post to Greg Certs thread above. There is something about stippling and clear pictures of the 1911 of a Marine aviator which was.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I was picturing stippled grips, and wondering how that would have worked.

Looking for someone who knows a fair ammount about early colt 1911's I purchased one today and I want to see if I can get additional information on it. I had it appraised today and the person who looked at it only deals with mil surp and said it was a great piece.

With that being said so far all I can find is the manufacture date of somewhere between 1918 and 1919, is there anywhere I can get additional info about the gun? looking for stamp meaning (I know there is an AA stamped on it Augusta Arsenal) there is also stippling on the grips that I was told was done by GI's. If anyone is interested I can email pictures or text them.

Thank you

Ask your question and post decent photos here...

https://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Someone should be able to help.

are you talking about stippling on the front of the grip? That was typically done by civilian owners who used them as a carry piece back in the 50s-60s to give them a better grip on it.

Back
Top Bottom